RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 27, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #2,252 of 5,998
Thanks. Do you think the Hugo 2 would drive the Sennheiser HD-600/650/660s better than the ADI-2 on its own? Better dynamics?
Funny thing. I’ve never tried my HD660S with my Hugo 2 :)
But I’ll change that tomorrow and let you know my impressions :wink:

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,254 of 5,998
Which is better in resolution, clarity, transparency?
The ADI has more transparency and clarity. Especially with its oversampling modes. Resolution is a bit more tricky. Hugo has definitely the advantage in most areas except the treble.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2,256 of 5,998
What are your views on the oversampling modes. Teach me
The ADI has several filters including oversampling.
I don’t have much experience with all of them. I usually used the NOS (no oversampling) and SD Sharp filters. Both sounded the best to my ears. While the NOS has the most balanced sound, the SD Sharp adds something to the high frequencies. Resulting into a more detailed sounding treble. This effect is not drastically. But noticeable (even more so with a good external amp, because the DAC implementation is better than the internal amp).
The Hugo 2 has also some different filters. In comparison differences within the ADI filters are more noticeable than with Hugo.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #2,257 of 5,998
The ADI has several filters including oversampling.
I don’t have much experience with all of them. I usually used the NOS (no oversampling) and SD Sharp filters. Both sounded the best to my ears. While the NOS has the most balanced sound, the SD Sharp adds something to the high frequencies. Resulting into a more detailed sounding treble. This effect is not drastically. But noticeable (even more so with a good external amp, because the DAC implementation is better than the internal amp).
The Hugo 2 has also some different filters. In comparison differences within the ADI filters are more noticeable than with Hugo.
which has stronger amp section

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,258 of 5,998
which has stronger amp section
The Hugo and ADI have both good sounding DACs.
My favorite for private listening is here Chords Hugo because of the better imaging. But I prefer the more balanced/detailed sound of the RME for mastering.
The ADI has a really amazing amp (especially for the price) and it deliveres the transparency of the DAC. But the dynamics aren’t that great. It sounds a bit lifeless in direct comparison with Hugo which has a lot more punch. That’s why I would say Chords amping is better.
If you connect both to a good neutral amp (which stays out of the way character wise, like Benchmarks HPA or SPL Phonitor) its more a decision of what you prefer. A more balanced sound with the ADI or better imaging with Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #2,259 of 5,998
The Hugo and ADI have both good sounding DACs.
My favorite for private listening is here Chords Hugo because of the better imaging. But I prefer the more balanced/detailed sound of the RME for mastering.
The ADI has a really amazing amp (especially for the price) and it deliveres the transparency of the DAC. But the dynamics aren’t that great. It sounds a bit lifeless in direct comparison with Hugo which has a lot more punch. That’s why I would say Chords amping is better.
If you connect both to a good neutral amp (which stays out of the way character wise, like Benchmarks HPA or SPL Phonitor) its more a decision of what you prefer. A more balanced sound with the ADI or better imaging with Hugo 2.
Great comparison. So I guess if I want a real improvement over my RME as a DAC, I would have to look at the TT2 or another DAC in that range?

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #2,260 of 5,998
RME ADI-2 DAC FS is a good match with HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 as well. Very neutral and powerful amp, yet cheap (US$ 500). Internal amp is good, excellent for IEMs, but to me HeadAmp can deliver slightly better dynamics / punch with bigger phones.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #2,261 of 5,998
Great comparison. So I guess if I want a real improvement over my RME as a DAC, I would have to look at the TT2 or another DAC in that range?

This list will show you what is objectively better. The ADI-2 DAC's flaws are well beyond the ability of humans to hear.
I think this is the old version. The new ADI-2 DAC I believe has another 3 dB or so SINAD. There really isn't much better at the moment.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #2,262 of 5,998
I would like to mention that if you like your headphones Then ADI is the way to go, I just love how it leaves the sound alone and just makes it smooth. Obviously you can mess around with it, which was one of the reasons I got the ADI 2, but It turns out I like my headphones. ^^ Improved the low end a lot, smoothed out the treble and cleared up the mid range, over whatever built in cheap DAC's I had in my AMP's.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #2,263 of 5,998
If you are up to really big improvements... To be honest DACs like TT2, Bartock or way more expensive ones aren’t that enormously better. Of course they will sound better in most ways. But only to a certain point. For some this improvement is exactly what they are looking for all the time. For others it’s noticeable but not worth the price, because you spend 5x (and even more) the money for the last little bit.
If I were you I would go for a mscaled TT2 for a more obvious jump. But still... The differences aren’t that much obvious like (for example) jumping from a 200€ to a 1500€ DAC. Even the most mastering engineers work with DACs within the 1500-3000€ range. For example: Howie Weinberg relies on Myteks Brooklyn (DAC and ADC)

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #2,264 of 5,998
If you are up to really big improvements... To be honest DACs like TT2, Bartock or way more expensive ones aren’t that enormously better. Of course they will sound better in most ways. But only to a certain point. For some this improvement is exactly what they are looking for all the time. For others it’s noticeable but not worth the price, because you spend 5x (and even more) the money for the last little bit.
If I were you I would go for a mscaled TT2 for a more obvious jump. But still... The differences aren’t that much obvious like (for example) jumping from a 200€ to a 1500€ DAC. Even the most mastering engineers work with DACs within the 1500-3000€ range. For example: Howie Weinberg relies on Myteks Brooklyn (DAC and ADC)
In general this is true, but it is also worth mentioning that those differences become more obvious with TOTL headphones. Also, the refinement of our hearing differs more than most think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back