RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 22, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,206 of 5,998
So question all you ADI-2 Owners.. what amps are you pairing with it? I'm currently going direct out of mine and curious if there are any good amp synergies known.. I've looked around, but haven't seen too many clear paths. Not to say I'm not pleased with the output from ADI-2, but curious none the less.

I use it straight into HD 25s, Fostex TRs, and more than half the time into LCD-2C or 3F. Otherwise, it runs into a Lyr 2 when I want a bit more slam from the Audezes.

I have another DAC and amp combo I run my Sennheiser 600s and 800s out of. I feel neither dacamp I have is enough for the big Sennies.

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,207 of 5,998
Hi all. New RME user here (Adam A5X monitors, AFC headphones, LCD2C on order, sold PM3 and HE4XX, considering adding the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2).

I've been using it for 2 weeks now. Very happy with this DAC and extremely impressed how easy it is to use once the navigation structure 'clicks'. Also, the ability to EQ a headphone with from what I can hear no loss to quality, the auto-switch of EQ profile when going to line-out..it's all extremely well thought out and it's smarts seem to never interfere with listening. It has all the hallmarks of having being programmed by people who use what they make.

On the auto switching in Tidal under Windows (Mac has no issues)... from what I understand the USB input seems to require the RME's internal clock.
With Madiface drivers from RME you can set the sample rate to whatever you like, but personally I find that's just annoying switching manually IMO.

I now started using the optical input with my PC, and no issues. It's happily auto-switching between 44.1 and 96Khz for MQA tracks. You can still leave the USB connected if you like.
Sounds like your PC has an optical output, or did you use some other type of external scrubber (USB Regen, iFi Purifier))? Thinking that a unit ( RME ADI-2) at this cost might have one built into it already, or is that wishful thinking?

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,208 of 5,998
Sounds like your PC has an optical output, or did you use some other type of external scrubber (USB Regen, iFi Purifier))? Thinking that a unit ( RME ADI-2) at this cost might have one built into it already, or is that wishful thinking?

Google Search: "rme adi-2 dac optiocal input"

Even gives me the answer despite the typo. :)

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #2,211 of 5,998
So question all you ADI-2 Owners.. what amps are you pairing with it? I'm currently going direct out of mine and curious if there are any good amp synergies known.. I've looked around, but haven't seen too many clear paths. Not to say I'm not pleased with the output from ADI-2, but curious none the less.
I use the SPL Phonitor XE with it. It is the most neutral amp I came across and that’s awesome because the sound of your DAC is not changing. On top it has better separation and dynamics. The functions for Crossfeed sound awesome too. No comparison to the bad sounding one in the RME.

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #2,212 of 5,998
Has anyone tried this DAC with the LCD 3 prefazor? So far I’ve read that the LCD X and 2 work well with it both probably because they’re neutral and warm respectively. I want a DAC in the $2k ballpark that gives me a good amount of detail without sounding etched like a regular D/S would.

I’ve narrowred down my selection to the RME or the Holo Spring. The Gumby I had previously sounded too warm and glossed over too much detail IMO. I know NOS is not known for its detail but I’m hoping at a high enough level it can preserve enough of it at the $1k level like these DACs have. I’ve had the chance to listen to the Holo before and it sounds amazingly relaxed and smooth. Makes everything just sound effortless.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #2,213 of 5,998
Correct and the RME indeed has one built-in and it's I'd say close to Schiit's Unison, with also USB being a bit smoother sounding than the optical in. I wasn't using anything else in between as I was still getting through dacs, headphones, headphone amps.. getting the basics right :)

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #2,214 of 5,998
I use the SPL Phonitor XE with it. It is the most neutral amp I came across and that’s awesome because the sound of your DAC is not changing. On top it has better separation and dynamics. The functions for Crossfeed sound awesome too. No comparison to the bad sounding one in the RME.
Pictures in studio please! I need to see that. It's like my ideal combination ADI with Phonitor. :)

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,215 of 5,998
Hello,
Can someone please share if differences can be detected between USB and optical input? So far I only used USB and I love ADI-2.
Thank you in advance.

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,217 of 5,998
Hello,
Can someone please share if differences can be detected between USB and optical input? So far I only used USB and I love ADI-2.
Thank you in advance.
I went back & forth on optical vs USB for a while because I hate that I had to manually change the input freq when switching sources. Optical does it automatically without issue but the RME's USB controller requires more hand-holding, at least on Windows 10. I heard a tiny difference between the two, with USB indeed being a tad smoother but try it for yourself and see what results you get. Optical cables are dirt cheap online (Monoprice may ship faster than Amazon at this point).

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2,218 of 5,998
If anyone was wondering about the differences between the AK4490 and 4493 chip I had a chance to compare the two RME dacs. To my ears they are sonically identical. The biggest difference is the remote control. Sure, the more buttons on the new one is helpful and makes life even easier, but to me the biggest improvement was the wider angle the new remote works in. With the old one you have to point the remote straight to the DAC, with the new one not necessarily. This is a great convenience in my personal usage scenario (which I already got used to from other Chord DAC remotes.)

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,219 of 5,998
I went back & forth on optical vs USB for a while because I hate that I had to manually change the input freq when switching sources. Optical does it automatically without issue but the RME's USB controller requires more hand-holding, at least on Windows 10. I heard a tiny difference between the two, with USB indeed being a tad smoother but try it for yourself and see what results you get. Optical cables are dirt cheap online (Monoprice may ship faster than Amazon at this point).
Read a thread where they uninstalled RME drivers and used Windows native drivers to solve that auto frequency input thing. Worth a shot. My finger is hovering over that buy button every day .. :D maybe some cheap headphones will hold me over for a week or two... :D

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #2,220 of 5,998
I went back & forth on optical vs USB for a while because I hate that I had to manually cnge the input freq when switching sources. Optical does it automatically without issue but the RME's USB controller requires more hand-holding, at least on Windows 10. I heard a tiny difference between the two, with USB indeed being a tad smoother but try it for yourself and see what results you get. Optical cables are dirt cheap online (Monoprice may ship faster than Amazon at this point).

Thank you for share your opinion.
I prefer USB but I'm asking because I'm having an issue with Tidal Masters.
Using Tidal for Windows and USB, the sample rate doesn't change automatically.
But using Tidal thru Roon I have no problem. The sample rate changes automatically.
Maybe a problem with Tidal app for Windows (I'm using Windows 7).

Interesting USB being smoother than optical. With Chord Hugo 2 I found the opposite.
I believe this can prove the fantastic USB implementation in ADI-2.
Read somewhere that smoother (or less brighter) can be consequence of less digital interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back