RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #466 of 6,005
I plugged in my ADI-2 DAC into an old PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. I really like how it's refined the overall presentation of the audio. Overall, the individual instruments and vocals in the high- and mid-range were more distinct, the bass tightened up a little to find it's place better, and everything seemed to be wrapped with a little more "air" around it (in a good way.)

I was able to do quick change comparisons with and without the UO. For me, the overall sound was always better with it. I wouldn't describe the change as something hugely transformational. However, I will say the difference put a smile on my face. I was closer to where I expected the music to be.

I've struggled with enjoying my main audio rig due to the birth of my wonderful new son. So I've been dabbling in headphone gear for about a year or so. I went through a number of cans (which was fun and frustrating), and settled on the Focal Utopia and the flexibility of the ADI-2 DAC. For 3-4 months I found this to be a reasonably good pairing because of all the adjustments the ADI-2 DAC offers. Purists may look down on any tonal interference in the audio path, but for me it's about tuning something to what I either know the audio track should sound like based upon my historical experience with it over many years or simply to my liking.

In my opinion, I think that anytime you're listening using a headphone or IEM you're immediately compromising things. The ADI-2 DAC could use more ummph as an amp for sure. It's DAC isn' the best in the business. Personally, I'd pay 2-3x if RME went all out on this unit component wise. But the Utopia, ADI-2 DAC, and Ultimate Outlet is indeed putting a smile on my face where I look forward to listening to the trio more now. YMMV.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #467 of 6,005
"Overall, the individual instruments and vocals in the high- and mid-range were more distinct, the bass tightened up a little to find it's place better, and everything seemed to be wrapped with a little more "air" around it (in a good way.)"

Thanks for sharing what I couldn't put in to words, I completely relate to your description..my set up is a bit different, but I'm experiencing the same!

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #468 of 6,005
Hey guys, im extremely tempted to pick an RME ADI-2 DAC up as a home solution for my PC. I was wondering if the onboard amp is powerful enough to drive some headphones that i have or will be buying in the near future.
Primarily will it drive my Fostex TH900 mk2, BeyerDynamic DT1990 Pro and in near future Audeze LCD2C(Classic) and possibly Hifiman Sundara and AKG K712 Pro. Thanks very much for your time :)

also does anyone know of any common faults with the dac/amp and if any weird quirks have crept up after daily use? would greatly appreciate it :)

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #469 of 6,005
Hey guys, im extremely tempted to pick an RME ADI-2 DAC up as a home solution for my PC. I was wondering if the onboard amp is powerful enough to drive some headphones that i have or will be buying in the near future.
Primarily will it drive my Fostex TH900 mk2, BeyerDynamic DT1990 Pro and in near future Audeze LCD2C(Classic) and possibly Hifiman Sundara and AKG K712 Pro. Thanks very much for your time :)

also does anyone know of any common faults with the dac/amp and if any weird quirks have crept up after daily use? would greatly appreciate it :)

With latest firmware/drivers minor issues I had were fixed. the DAC part of ADI-2 DAC is its strongest side. Amp is decent but not extraordinary. It is powerful enough to drive most phones (don't forget there is a Hi-Power mode if you need), but I like the sound more out of my MJ2, except maybe when using my Denons.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #470 of 6,005
With latest firmware/drivers minor issues I had were fixed. the DAC part of ADI-2 DAC is its strongest side. Amp is decent but not extraordinary. It is powerful enough to drive most phones (don't forget there is a Hi-Power mode if you need), but I like the sound more out of my MJ2, except maybe when using my Denons.
seems fair, if worse case arises and im not able to power my headphones sufficiently. do you think maybe a Schiit Asgard 2 or JDS Labs EL Amp would be a good pairing to boost power? or would that be excessive?

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #471 of 6,005
seems fair, if worse case arises and im not able to power my headphones sufficiently. do you think maybe a Schiit Asgard 2 or JDS Labs EL Amp would be a good pairing to boost power? or would that be excessive?

Don't worry about the power, it has plenty. I just prefer the MJ2 with ifi tubes, but it is more a matter of preference. Just try it. Also don't be shy to explore all the DSP options the DAC provides, you can really tailor the sound to your liking.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #472 of 6,005
Don't worry about the power, it has plenty. I just prefer the MJ2 with ifi tubes, but it is more a matter of preference. Just try it. Also don't be shy to explore all the DSP options the DAC provides, you can really tailor the sound to your liking.
I really appreciate the feedback, i'll visit my local studio equipment store and see if i can give it a listen :) thanks very much! i'll definitely be back when ive had a listen to give feedback or ask questions.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #474 of 6,005

The Pro version is going to serve you better if you are wanting an all in one unit to drive full sized headphones. I've owned both and still own the pro version.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #475 of 6,005
The Pro version is going to serve you better if you are wanting an all in one unit to drive full sized headphones. I've owned both and still own the pro version.
I did consider the pro version, as they had the BE edition online for sale, however the price was out of my reach... thats why im considering the ADI-2 DAC since its "cheaper".

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #477 of 6,005

While it has the power, I don't like how it pairs with Fostex/Denon Biodyna driver headphones... they sound much better out the warmer amps I prefer. Mine is not really used daily, as it's for my STAX setup, but I do use it often and can't think of any issues with it... it works fine.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #478 of 6,005
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #480 of 6,005
I was going to say you could pick up a used pro version for about $1500 USD. This doesn't fit your budget though.
Yeah, for now im gonna buy the ADI-2 DAC for a Christmas gift to myself in a few months. i think there are a few studio shops in my city that already have it... or buy it early and pay it off slowly hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back