RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 24, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #421 of 6,005
Where is the instruction to flash (install) the new firmware? I'd appreciate it if you can tell me how to do it correctly. Thanks.

If you're on a Mac:
  1. download the firmware from the link in the RME forum post
  2. ...when the file ZIP file unpacks, double click the RME USB Series Flash Tool app
  3. Your ADI-2 will be in the Interfaces dropdown list (it goes without saying that your ADI-2 should be connected via USB). Click the Update button
  4. Restart your ADI-2
I'm assuming the procedure should be similar in Windows.

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #422 of 6,005
If you're on a Mac:
  1. download the firmware from the link in the RME forum post
  2. ...when the file ZIP file unpacks, double click the RME USB Series Flash Tool app
  3. Your ADI-2 will be in the Interfaces dropdown list (it goes without saying that your ADI-2 should be connected via USB). Click the Update button
  4. Restart your ADI-2
I'm assuming the procedure should be similar in Windows.

I'm using Win10. However, your instruction also works for Win10. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #423 of 6,005
I listened to native DSD music with iem with DSD Direct (line) on and DSD Filter at 150 khz. However, the loud portion of the music is extremely and unbearably loud even the volume is turned to the lowest level at -0.0 db. Is there anyway to further lower the volume to bearable level?

That's a bug that I reported to RME. The IEM out should be muted, like the Phones out. There is a reason that option is called 'Line'.

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #424 of 6,005
I just found another problem/bug when I listened to native DSD music (SACD) this time with hp (Beyerdyn DT880-600ohm) there was no sound at all, but no problem with PCM music files.On the other hand, DSD file generates extremely loud sound with iem. I just updated to the newest firmware today. Has anyone encountered the same problem? Can someone play native DSD files and see if it works?

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #425 of 6,005
You're not supposed to play DSD from the headphone outs on the ADI-2 DAC. I'd suggest reading the manual. If you're playing DSD you must use the line outs to a dedicated amp.

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #427 of 6,005
You're not supposed to play DSD from the headphone outs on the ADI-2 DAC. I'd suggest reading the manual. If you're playing DSD you must use the line outs to a dedicated amp.
My micro iDSD BL plays native DSD from the headphone output, so I thought ADI-2 DAC may work the same way. Anyway, thanks for referring me to the manual, and it works through my Little Dot MK IV Amp. Strangely, IEM output is not deactivated when I play native DSD. Do you encounter the same issue?

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #430 of 6,005
The retailer wants to rule out any chance of a defective unit. I see that you're using the same HP's and IEM's. What are your impressions with the Clear's?
I like the Clears with the ADI-2. I must say that I haven’t compared this device to many other dacs/amps. Before I had Mojo, and I think the ADI-2 is a definitive upgrade to my ears (more transparent, better soundstage, less dark/warm). The Clears/ADI-2 combo does need well recorded (acoustic) music to really shine. With mediocre/poorly mastered stuff it can be a bit underwhelming – although the EQ helps to make it better. The synergy with the Andro’s is really nice imo. Even poor recordings sound quite good. The same holds for my Nighthawk. Although my iems are for portable use, I quite often put them in the ADI-2 for listening to 80s pop music. So, all in all I am quite happy with the ADI-2 right now.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #431 of 6,005
My micro iDSD BL plays native DSD from the headphone output, so I thought ADI-2 DAC may work the same way. Anyway, thanks for referring me to the manual, and it works through my Little Dot MK IV Amp. Strangely, IEM output is not deactivated when I play native DSD. Do you encounter the same issue?
I think the lack of volume control might be because RME uses digital volume control. The manual mentions the inability to use digital processing on native DSD. The micro iDSD BL uses analog volume control. I’m not super knowledgeable on DACs, but that is my understanding.

I’m on a trip at the moment so I can’t check on the IEM out issue. @lowvolume mentioned that it’s a bug. Makes sense to me. Kind of a dangerous bug for listeners. The headphone outs should be disabled in DSD Direct (line) mode.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #432 of 6,005
I like the Clears with the ADI-2. I must say that I haven’t compared this device to many other dacs/amps. Before I had Mojo, and I think the ADI-2 is a definitive upgrade to my ears (more transparent, better soundstage, less dark/warm). The Clears/ADI-2 combo does need well recorded (acoustic) music to really shine. With mediocre/poorly mastered stuff it can be a bit underwhelming – although the EQ helps to make it better. The synergy with the Andro’s is really nice imo. Even poor recordings sound quite good. The same holds for my Nighthawk. Although my iems are for portable use, I quite often put them in the ADI-2 for listening to 80s pop music. So, all in all I am quite happy with the ADI-2 right now.
Interestingly, one of my default test recordings is Alice in Chains, Unplugged, which is all acoustic. It may not be what others would refer to as "reference" but I've listened to it through 2 different DAP's, 2 different IEM's, an IEM amp, 5 different IEM/HP Cables and two DAC/AMP's. So I know what I'm listening for. So my A/B for the BL and 2 DAC is valid for at least my ears. I still haven't gotten on the phone with Sweetwater's tech support.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #433 of 6,005
Interestingly, one of my default test recordings is Alice in Chains, Unplugged, which is all acoustic. It may not be what others would refer to as "reference" but I've listened to it through 2 different DAP's, 2 different IEM's, an IEM amp, 5 different IEM/HP Cables and two DAC/AMP's. So I know what I'm listening for. So my A/B for the BL and 2 DAC is valid for at least my ears. I still haven't gotten on the phone with Sweetwater's tech support.
That's a great album, sounds excellent. I quite like these unplugged MTV albums, feels like one is at a live concert. I listened to the one from Nirvana a couple of times during my holiday, very involving. Did you get any feedback from your dealer?

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #434 of 6,005
That's a great album, sounds excellent. I quite like these unplugged MTV albums, feels like one is at a live concert. I listened to the one from Nirvana a couple of times during my holiday, very involving. Did you get any feedback from your dealer?
Today is the first day back at grad school, and the required reading alone will eat up the majority of my time. So I haven't spoken with tech support still. I may have the opportunity tonight before my life turns completely upside down. I keep thinking about your impressions of the Clears needing good quality recordings. I only have the one set of full-sized headphones, so I only care how they sound with the 2 DAC.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #435 of 6,005
How does this Dac compare to Yggdrasil 2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Penf
Back