RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 1, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #1,205 of 6,034
There may be better options available on Amazon. If you search for 12 V power bank, Some that are designed for laptops have 50,000 MAH and out put 12 V

May 1, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,207 of 6,034
It needs 12v dc. I think you need bank with proper 12v out, most of them are user selectable

May 4, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,209 of 6,034
Has anyone compared toslink to a high quality ethernet transport, like sotm ultra, ultraRendu etc, for the RME ADI-2 DAC? I have compared toslink from computer to Allo USBridge (running on battery), but could not detect any differences. If anything, I think toslink sounded better.

May 4, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,210 of 6,034
May 5, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,211 of 6,034
May 5, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,212 of 6,034
Well my ADI-2 "died" last night. No longer recognizes a USB connection, with 2 different cables, on 3 different computers. Optical in works fine, USB shows disconnected no matter what I try.

Good thing I bought this new. Needless to say I am thinking about selling the replacement as soon as I get it or ask for a refund and move on to something with a little better build quality...

May 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,213 of 6,034
Well my ADI-2 "died" last night. No longer recognizes a USB connection, with 2 different cables, on 3 different computers. Optical in works fine, USB shows disconnected no matter what I try.

Good thing I bought this new. Needless to say I am thinking about selling the replacement as soon as I get it or ask for a refund and move on to something with a little better build quality...
Ugh, sorry to hear. Did it die while in use or just when you first turned it on?

I would say try a firmware upgrade but you need USB to do that.

May 5, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #1,214 of 6,034
@elmoe Do you think you might be overreacting? No one else has reported this issue. From your singular experience you conclude (swiftly) that this model has build quality issues?

May 5, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,215 of 6,034
Ugh, sorry to hear. Did it die while in use or just when you first turned it on?

I would say try a firmware upgrade but you need USB to do that.

I moved it from one PC to another, looks like it wasn't happy with that. I upgraded the FW first thing when I got it ~2 months ago to v25, but yeah it needs USB for FW upgrades so I am stuck.

@elmoe Do you think you might be overreacting? No one else has reported this issue. From your singular experience you conclude (swiftly) that this model has build quality issues?

No it definitely wasn't overheating, it wasn't even in use when the USB died.

Considering I bought it brand new 2 months ago and it worked fine until now, yes, I can safely conclude this is a QC/QA issue. The USB input basically died on me out of the blue. On a $1000 unit that's pretty much brand new, that's definitely a concern. I take extremely good care of my gear and still have the first DAC I ever bought 15 years ago (Benchmark DAC1) which still works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back