RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #901 of 5,991
Tks captblaze. So it's xmos base and I can carry on to order 1. Which site have the most reliable service for RME dac. Tks

if read it correctly RME uses their own USB technology and the XMOS reference was regarding what is used by the majority of other DACs

"RME uses its own USB circuit/technology. XMOS is the most often used one so it might be that current Linux implementation use it that way."

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #902 of 5,991
I found a reason to leave the USB connected even if you are using Coax or Optical for listening to music.

DIGICheck <------- RME Analyzer Software (only works via USB although you have to run the other inputs and the signal is analyzed over USB )

No need to have DAC display on all the time

This is pretty neat, I have not looked into their software. What all does it do?

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #903 of 5,991
This is pretty neat, I have not looked into their software. What all does it do?

real time spectrum analysis with many different type to choose from

digichk.jpg

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #904 of 5,991
Still dealing with the screen defect on my unit... I will say one thing, RME Dealers don't mess around, it's really impressive the level of support, responsiveness and service these guys are putting out. The dealer I purchased my unit from is currently out of stock and put me in touch with a Synthax rep in Florida and so far they have been extremely responsive. Perhaps it's the pro background, but the experience thus far has been a bit above and beyond what i'd expect from most consumer outfits. Perhaps it's the dealer network, more attuned to the needs of their customer then the guy at bestbuy. Needless to say, if anyone has any warranty issues down the road, I don't suspect you'll have any issues with this outfit.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #905 of 5,991
took my first listen with IEMs today. UE 18+ Pro

no noise
acceptable stage for IEMs
as good (if not slightly better) than my go to DAP (WM-1A which works well with these IEMs). I do have an LPG Diana, but has different sound sig
no high power option which is a plus for keeping your eardrums intact although -15 is necessary for full sound <--- -20db seems to be a good point and -15 was a track with low dynamic range
loudness and tone controls (384 kHz and below) working

still learning strengths and weaknesses of this DAC, but I haven't given a new piece of gear this long (and pleasurable) a listen in ages

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #906 of 5,991
just dusted off my HD700 and have been pleased with what I have been hearing. never been happy or managed a long listening session with these and my Brooklyn+. too much treble glare (probably).

Steve Gadd, Natalie Merchant, Marianne Thorsen all good... heading towards Rush and Billy Cobham next

I will say that the COAX input is stellar and aside from the SR limitation (which is irrelevant if the track is mixed and mastered well) I am starting to prefer it to USB. although no DSD over COAX which I am ok with and will eventually rip all my SACD .ISO to 24 bit FLAC (no compression). for now I will just enjoy my music collection and some time down the road figure out what to do with the Brooklyn+

last thought for tonight... when I ordered this DAC I was considering the Pro version for the extra inputs (ad/da) and balanced HP output, but realistically speaking I don't miss the either

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #907 of 5,991
Daaamn that noble K10 massdrop is calling my name.... 900 bucks though, but original msrp 1600$... wonder how they compare to Campfire Solaris/Andromeda.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #908 of 5,991
Any of the owners who are experts in the step-by-step configuration of the built-in equalizer can write a guide for children ... explaining step by step how to configure it and each of its functionalities?
The manual in this section is for experts ...
Does anyone dare?

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #909 of 5,991
Any of the owners who are experts in the step-by-step configuration of the built-in equalizer can write a guide for children ... explaining step by step how to configure it and each of its functionalities?
The manual in this section is for experts ...
Does anyone dare?

There is a helpful Youtube video recently released by RME:

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #910 of 5,991
There’s like 4 or 5 of those official rme videos. One covers the PEQ specifically

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #911 of 5,991
just dusted off my HD700 and have been pleased with what I have been hearing. never been happy or managed a long listening session with these and my Brooklyn+. too much treble glare (probably).

Steve Gadd, Natalie Merchant, Marianne Thorsen all good... heading towards Rush and Billy Cobham next

I will say that the COAX input is stellar and aside from the SR limitation (which is irrelevant if the track is mixed and mastered well) I am starting to prefer it to USB. although no DSD over COAX which I am ok with and will eventually rip all my SACD .ISO to 24 bit FLAC (no compression). for now I will just enjoy my music collection and some time down the road figure out what to do with the Brooklyn+

last thought for tonight... when I ordered this DAC I was considering the Pro version for the extra inputs (ad/da) and balanced HP output, but realistically speaking I don't miss the either

Keep in mind that the ADI-2 will accept DSD over COAX. There are the previously mentioned issues of DSD to PCM conversion internally depending on how you configure the ADI-2 to handle DSD.

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #912 of 5,991
Keep in mind that the ADI-2 will accept DSD over COAX. There are the previously mentioned issues of DSD to PCM conversion internally depending on how you configure the ADI-2 to handle DSD.

whether direct DSD or not I get no signal over COAX to the DAC. the only mode I can get sound out of the DAC or DSD signal is over USB... if you can share the config you use I will gladly try it

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #913 of 5,991
whether direct DSD or not I get no signal over COAX to the DAC. the only mode I can get sound out of the DAC or DSD signal is over USB... if you can share the config you use I will gladly try it

In my situation I'm running Foobar 2000 on a Window 10 PC. Coax input into the RME is coming from a Gustard U16 USB interface. I'm not sure how applicable this would be in your situation.

I select the DSD ASIO device for the Gustard interface in Foobar.
9939488_l.jpg

Below you can see DSD in the State column for the COAX input. This is obviously DSD over PCM, thus the 176.4 SR, which is DSD all the same. It just arrives to the DAC encapsulated in a PCM wrapper.
9939489_l.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that not all COAX outputs are capable of sending DoP.

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #914 of 5,991
In my situation I'm running Foobar 2000 on a Window 10 PC. Coax input into the RME is coming from a Gustard U16 USB interface. I'm not sure how applicable this would be in your situation.

I select the DSD ASIO device for the Gustard interface in Foobar.
Below you can see DSD in the State column for the COAX input. This is obviously DSD over PCM, thus the 176.4 SR, which is DSD all the same. It just arrives to the DAC encapsulated in a PCM wrapper.
One thing to keep in mind is that not all COAX outputs are capable of sending DoP.

looks like I need to try Foobar

thanks for the mini tutorial

UPDATE - Foobar is the solution. curious that neither HQ Player or Audirvana + are capable
UPDATE to the update - HQ Player need to do the DSD conversion and then pass the PCM signal to the DAC or no audio

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #915 of 5,991
There is a helpful Youtube video recently released by RME:

I have seen the video but I am totally ignorant of the equalizers.
You can explain each of the bands (5) to determine which area of the audible spectrum is (bass, mid and treble) their colors are (from left to right) 1 (Red) 2 (Yellow) 3 (Green) 4 (Cyan) 5 (Blue)
I would also be interested to know the function of the 3 parameters that can be modified in each of these 5 zones: 1: G (gain) / F: (frequency) / Q: (quality)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back