RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #5,026 of 6,005
The RME simply can't fix some things with EQ.. over time the Holo Spring will show you the way, what at first sounds like 10% difference over longer listening period it can turn to 50% - the RME can't quite get rid of ringing in the treble region - not a frequency response problem, but certain excitement/highlight of treble notes in contrast to a slightly diffuse and soft mid making them sound prominent (and at times annoying).. the ringing might be a time domain issue, or who knows what - it's past your typical measuring gear that can highlight the problem (we still have some way to go for our measurement gear to match the complexity and refinement of human ears) - it's easily discernible as kind of crystalline/glassy effect vs other DACs (even other delta sigma like Apogee Element which somehow manage to suppress that ringing).

I like the RME but I feel like there is something that's holding it back, like op amps doing something to the treble, i've got no clue but I can hear it and in contrast to it's other qualities it's a tad annoying.
Have you tried all the different filters? They impact both the time domain and frequency response and there are noticeable differences between them, especially in the midrange and treble.

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #5,027 of 6,005
Does anyone else have a noticeable very high pitched whine/buzz from the LCD screen? It is highest pitch/least noticeable at 100% brightness (probs 15kHz+), and get's lower pitched and more noticeable on lower brightness. I think there are also a few threads on the RME forum about this issue, with no conclusive fix. I am sensitive to high frequency whines, am thinking about returning it. Otherwise would be forced to use dark mode permanently.

I have not, but that would be hugely annoying to me also. I do use dark mode, because OLED screens can burn in.

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #5,028 of 6,005
Have you tried all the different filters? They impact both the time domain and frequency response and there are noticeable differences between them, especially in the midrange and treble.

None of the filters impact the slightly crystalline quality to the treble. Perhaps NOS might be slightly warmer but it could also be placebo as the difference seems very small to my ears

Jun 29, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #5,030 of 6,005
Hi everyone

I’ve bought the RME and I‘m considering giving the 5 band EQ a try before purchasing a Roon subscription.

Do you guys hava any suggestions on profiles? I’m pairing it with the lcd5 and the Oor + Hypsos.
There's the Oratory RME preset (which for some reason isn't on the RME wiki post but someone else posted it), but I was able to get a closer EQ curve to the APO values myself:
adi2lcd5graph.PNG

oratoryrme.PNG
adi2lcd5values.PNG
OratoryRMELCD5.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #5,031 of 6,005
There's the Oratory RME preset (which for some reason isn't on the RME wiki post but someone else posted it), but I was able to get a closer EQ curve to the APO values myself. adi2lcd5graph.PNG
oratoryrme.PNGadi2lcd5values.PNGOratoryRMELCD5.png
apologies for the extremely dumb question, but can I implement this using only the RME? (yeah, I have never EQed before).

thank you for the answer.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #5,032 of 6,005
apologies for the extremely dumb question, but can I implement this using only the RME? (yeah, I have never EQed before).

thank you for the answer.
Yep, the RME supports 5 bands, plus another bass shelf and treble shelf. You may just need to take some time to get familiar with the controls to adjust all the values correctly on the unit. So for my values, the middle 5 are the 5 bands, and the outer are the shelves. The 600hz would need to go as band 1, it's out of order in the config. For Oratory, the first 5 are the 5 bands, and 7 and 8 are the B and T shelves. Be sure to enable store B/T to EQ on the unit.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #5,033 of 6,005
Yep, the RME supports 5 bands, plus another bass shelf and treble shelf. You may just need to take some time to get familiar with the controls to adjust all the values correctly on the unit. So for my values, the middle 5 are the 5 bands, and the outer are the shelves. The 600hz would need to go as band 1, it's out of order in the config. For Oratory, the first 5 are the 5 bands, and 7 and 8 are the B and T shelves. Be sure to enable store B/T to EQ on the unit.
Thank you very, very much.

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #5,035 of 6,005
Jun 29, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #5,036 of 6,005
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #5,037 of 6,005
I have not, but that would be hugely annoying to me also. I do use dark mode, because OLED screens can burn in.
ADI-2 uses an IPS panel not OLED.
From the manual
A high resolution IPS panel for the graphical operation surface eases operation even more

Jun 30, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #5,038 of 6,005
ADI-2 uses an IPS panel not OLED.
From the manual

You mean for years I've been missing out on the display for no good reason?!

1656615580816.png

Jun 30, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #5,040 of 6,005

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back