RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #5,042 of 5,991
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #5,043 of 5,991
If you mean a new successor to the ADI-2 DAC FS, then I doubt a new version is coming anytime soon. RME confirmed this on another forum earlier this week. Exact words were:

"No change planned for the forseeable future."
You think they might keep the model but revert to AKM chips? Seems a hair odd they're trying to blow out inventory on this thing.

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #5,044 of 5,991
Jul 1, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #5,046 of 5,991
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #5,048 of 5,991
Wait until you hit 40, you won't hear it :wink:

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #5,050 of 5,991
Well, a month to go. I'm still good to a hair over 17k. Which yikes, I could still hit maybe 19ish less than a year ago. :X
Yep, it goes down rapidly now, but don't worry as you're not going to find much in music that goes much beyond 4k. Beyond that you simply have harmonics which can add to the air of the sound. However, frequency loss is slow and your brain adapts so the only way you'll notice is suddenly realising that whatever was hissing slightly annoyingly isn't anymore, or you do another frequency test with your ears.

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #5,052 of 5,991
Any audible difference(s) will be based on the better amp in the Pro version and/or imagination. What you get with the Pro is not necessarily better sound, but rather better connectivity and an ADC.

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #5,053 of 5,991
Got this a few days ago. Got to learn nearly every feature in it. My god this is a magical device.

I'm convinced that people who say this "sounds thin" or "is too analytical" simply didn't take the time to get to know the device and dial it in. It literally can sound however you like. After dialing everything to perfection for my ears, it sounds full, robust, musical, and grin inducing.

• EQ: Not warm enough? Warm it. Too bright? Dim it. Not punchy enough? Punch it. Coming from Peace/APO's variable band EQ, I was wary of a 5 band EQ. Well I just uninstalled Peace/APO. I have plenty of customization here. In actuality it's just easier to tune in the sound I want with less bands. I even get split EQ so I can fix the slight treble hearing deficiency I have in my right ear.

• Loudness: This feature is underrated. I get to control the gain, frequency and Q of my B/T loudness corners? I can set when loudness should melt away into nothing? This feature works exactly as I want it to and it just makes everything sound right at whatever volume I'm listening. Taking the time to use it properly is worth every moment. If you don't like the loudness feature because it's "too aggressive" then you didn't configure it to your liking. It's as subtle or aggressive as you make it.

• B/T knobs: Again, brilliant. Their corner frequency Q get used for loudness, so you can do spot changes easily after setting your preferred EQ and loudness levels.

• Source specific settings for everything with auto-switching? Now I just feel spoiled.

• Crossfeed for listening to those 60s tracks when hard pans were a thing. My ears thank you RME.

• Slow filter to take the brightness down just a hair. I'm digging it.

• The paint on the metal casing is NOT a fingerprint magnet. It's so rare these days that a company actually thinks about fingerprints on a device that is meant to be touched.

What are the cons? Nitpicking mostly.
  • Would be nice to have a balanced 2.5, 4.4 or XLR headphone out. I don't really need it right now, but maybe I will want it one day?

• More visualizer colors because green, cyan, amber, monochrome, red and orange aren't enough? Could we get full spectrum support? I jest, but actually that would be cool.

• Put some lead in it to make it a bit more heavy so it doesn't move around when you press buttons. I guess I can get some stick on lead strips for the underside and do that myself.

• More wattage to future proof it? Sure why not.

• A PC app that gives you full control of the device with an easier to use UI would be cool. In all honesty I figured out 80% of the UI without opening the manual. It's not that hard to use aside from the EQ taking some getting used to.

@gimmeheadroom props to you for giving me advice on this unit. I'm pretty smitten with it.

ldhwt8rq4n891.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #5,054 of 5,991
Rock and roll! For your cans, this looks like the perfect DAC :)

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,055 of 5,991
@Sproketz Congrats on getting the RME. Glad you appreciate the multi-functionality and all the engineering that goes into this nice desktop unit. I'll admit I was a bit overwhelmed with all the menus but the guide book is good. Even 5 years later I'm still learning more about the options. Also I appreciate RME tweaking and improving on the firmware on a regular basis. Most retailers are dropping the price by $300 so for those considering it could be a good time to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back