RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Nov 25, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,756 of 5,991
Yes, but it's not like us, owners of the first version, get some sort of trade-in discount. So to benefit from the "refresh", we would have to spend another 1000 euro. Now, don't get me wrong, my ADI-2 is my end-game, I love it. But how many existing owners will spend 1000 euro for a minor upgrade/refresh? Honest question, can some members here offer their views?

I suppose the old units won't sell for more than 500 or something on the used market now that there is a new version.

I think now that the remote is an upgradeable option, RME really did consider the previous customers and that made me feel pretty good. So on paper yeah the new one is better but I doubt anybody can hear the difference. All the reviews and comments I read from the few people who heard both is if you don't have an RME, buy the new one. If you have an RME already, just enjoy it :)

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,757 of 5,991
But how many existing owners will spend 1000 euro for a minor upgrade/refresh?
I hope absolutely nobody. That would be a severe case of upgradetitis.

In my use, I have absolutely zero scenarios in which I would be even remotely close to maxing out the capabilities of the original ADI-2 DAC. There is plenty of spare headroom and I am absolutely confident that I weren't able to tell the 4 extra dB. This is for the measurement leaderboards only.

If this silent update really makes your current device feel old, I suggest to at least wait out on the next device with a new name. I dunno, maybe the ADI-2 DAC+ or Ultra DAC. Maybe ADI-3 DAC, or you know. Because as long the genius engineer of RME won't have a car crash, I am confident that we will see more real upgrades in the future.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #1,759 of 5,991
RME ADI-3 DAC... Sold.

Uhm, I think you meant RME ADI-3 DAC MQA... :p

Because of this I'm saving my money for a Brooklyn DAC+... there is just never enough money in the world for all the hifi "requirements" :p

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,760 of 5,991
Yes, but it's not like us, owners of the first version, get some sort of trade-in discount. So to benefit from the "refresh", we would have to spend another 1000 euro. Now, don't get me wrong, my ADI-2 is my end-game, I love it. But how many existing owners will spend 1000 euro for a minor upgrade/refresh? Honest question, can some members here offer their views?

I suppose the old units won't sell for more than 500 or something on the used market now that there is a new version.

The spec improvements are negligible, and that's all they are, spec improvements. Honestly they won't be audible at all. The AK4490 is probably going EOL in the near future and RME needed to replace it with a current offering from AKM - the AK4493.

Really there is no need to fret about an improvement of 3-4dB of SNR when the original was vanishingly small in that area as well.

Also consider that the DAC chip is less than half the story - it's how it's implemented and the quality of the analog stuff after the DAC that counts for the most, and the original shares pretty much all of that with the new.

I'm not dumping my original ADI 2 just for a slight spec change.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #1,761 of 5,991
Hi everyone - my first post in this thread and I tried to read a lot of it of course. I have been eyeing this unit for a long time as my 'end game' for use with my PC, and research seems to show me that the USB connector from the DAC to the PC is the best I can hope for in terms of quality.

I see that there has been an update to the AK4493 - are these units available in the United States yet? I just moved to NYC and am looking to purchase one. Ideally - I'd love to listen to one first, especially since I absolutely love the Ultimate Ears 10 Pro Customs I bought around 12 years ago thanks to recommendations on this very forum, and the IEM functionality on this DAC is reported to be excellent.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #1,762 of 5,991
Hi everyone - my first post in this thread and I tried to read a lot of it of course. I have been eyeing this unit for a long time as my 'end game' for use with my PC, and research seems to show me that the USB connector from the DAC to the PC is the best I can hope for in terms of quality.

I see that there has been an update to the AK4493 - are these units available in the United States yet? I just moved to NYC and am looking to purchase one. Ideally - I'd love to listen to one first, especially since I absolutely love the Ultimate Ears 10 Pro Customs I bought around 12 years ago thanks to recommendations on this very forum, and the IEM functionality on this DAC is reported to be excellent.
The version of this DAC with the AK4493 should be hitting the US by Dec or Jan. B&H Photo (420 9th Ave, New York, NY 10001) is an authorized RME dealer (I bought my RME ADI-2 DAC from them). Keep your eye on Sweetwater and B&H Photo websites, they will likely be the first to have them in the US. I personally would wait for the upgraded version rather than get the AK4490-based version on sale. Just me.

Nov 26, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,763 of 5,991
The version of this DAC with the AK4493 should be hitting the US by Dec or Jan. B&H Photo (420 9th Ave, New York, NY 10001) is an authorized RME dealer (I bought my RME ADI-2 DAC from them). Keep your eye on Sweetwater and B&H Photo websites, they will likely be the first to have them in the US. I personally would wait for the upgraded version rather than get the AK4490-based version on sale. Just me.
If the 1st version goes on sale for a good chunk of cash cheaper than the new one, Why wouldn't you buy the cheaper original?? You will not tell any difference between them with such small rise in specs, but your wallet will notice, lol.

Nov 26, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #1,764 of 5,991
If the 1st version goes on sale for a good chunk of cash cheaper than the new one, Why wouldn't you buy the cheaper original?? You will not tell any difference between them with such small rise in specs, but your wallet will notice, lol.
You are correct. I said I personally would wait; that’s just me; I would have regrets I didn’t have the latest. Damn this hobby!

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,766 of 5,991

I would snag an older version at a discount if you get that option. Otherwise waiting for the new revision shouldn’t be long like others said. Either way great combo unit. Absolutely love mine, think you will too!

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,767 of 5,991
I would snag an older version at a discount if you get that option. ...
Speaking of which, I just saw that Sweetwater and B&H Photo have the Pro version on sale for $1499 (a $500 savings). Wow, that would make me think twice about buying an ADI-2 DAC (if I didn’t already have one) and purchase the Pro for just $400 more than the DAC. There are tradeoffs: no remote on the Pro, and no low-noise IEM output; but, you get a lot more functionality with the ADC, more input/output options, and balanced headphone output if you want it.

Maybe the price drop is an indication the Pro version is getting an upgrade soon too. Hopefully the next Pro version supports an IR remote.

Cheers,
Gus

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,768 of 5,991
If you need an ADC or extra output power the ADI PRO seems like a great option.

I'd be curious to see how the ADI PRO amplifier running via balanced phones output compares to the ADI DAC amplifier. Anyone have experience with both?

I know ASR seems to favor the numbers of the ADI-2 DAC

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,769 of 5,991

I know ASR seems to favor the numbers of the ADI-2 DAC
IIRC he measured the non-FS ADI-2 Pro - the Pro, which was released before the DAC, was upgraded to the current ADI-2 Pro FS when the ADI-2 DAC FS was released. The current ADI-2 Pro FS and 4490 ADI-2 DAC FS should measure the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back