RME 96/8 PAD - whoa....
Mar 18, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #92 of 129
I do't think Kernel streaming works with the RME, though I could try it.

I might consider messing around with ASIO once I get my RME back from Iron_Dreamer. hmm. although, I seem to remember trying basically every setup I could with the ASIO pluging, and it sounded basically equal to the WaveOut SSRC i'm using currently. Plus the features of the WaveOut were better so I kept that one.

I really have no idea why the norm isn't applying to me..
confused.gif
I'm almost thinking i'm just stupid and forgot to set some critical option with ASIO or something.

EDIT: Hmmm.. maybe I never tried ASIO with my RME, i'm just stupid and thought I did? So the only comparison i'm using is when I tested ASIO on my Soundstorm? I guess that would make sense...

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #94 of 129
I'm using WinXP Pro, Foobar 7.7, foo_output_asio(dll)_034asse2, RME digi96/8 PAD, with an Audigy 2 (Drivers only) also.

foo_output_asio(dll)_036asse only works with the most recent version of Foobar.

I haven't had any problems with ASIO and the RME PAD. Aside from weird APE file problems, which ended up being bad rips from an overheating CD Drive.

I haven't upgraded Foobar and ASIO drivers yet. I figured, if it ain't broke......

-Ed

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #95 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood

I haven't had any problems with ASIO and the RME PAD. Aside from weird APE file problems, which ended up being bad rips from an overheating CD Drive.

-Ed

Can you play flac's with asio+foobar? On my system they're all choppy with upsampling, whereas ape's play fine with the same settings.

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #96 of 129
I'm seriously confused as to what the fuss is.

Using ASIO today, and comparing it to my Waveout SSRC, there's really a negligible difference in sound quality.

ASIO is taking at LEAST twice the CPU Time (~30% on my XP 2700+), and it doesn't support seeking very well at all. Plus, even with Gapless Output checked, there's an audible click between tracks. I can't stand this.

All in all, I really have NO idea what everyone is talking about, I'll take my SSRC Waveout over ASIO any day.

Even if I found some music that sounded better on ASIO, I wouldn't care, because as mentioned above the implementation is horrible. If I can't seek or have gapless playback, it's of no use to me.

*afterthought* here's a link to the Winamp Waveout SSRC if anyone wants to try it on for size and agree/disagree with me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #97 of 129
I read somewhere RME's drivers don't resample so using Waveout is the same. It is the exception to the rule. I have not verified this myself.

Mar 21, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #98 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I read somewhere RME's drivers don't resample so using Waveout is the same. It is the exception to the rule. I have not verified this myself.

We really should verify this! We're talking about 20% of our cpu afterall!

Edit: It's not asio that takes up cpu, it's the resampling. What's the difference between waveout and waveout ssrc? And is there a dll for it for use with foobar?

Mar 21, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #99 of 129
Somebody with a DTS CD and external decoder can test this.

Wave SSRC is old. I presume there have been many revisions of SRC since then. But using an internal soundcard, the differences probably aren't so large.

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #100 of 129
Quote:

This information has already been verified multiple times on the AVS Forum. The RME drivers completely bypass the kmixer so you can use waveout, asio, dx, or whatever without worrying about your bits getting mangled. According to their newsgroup they are also working on REAL DX drivers.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #101 of 129
Ian - were you saying using Waveout SSRC vs. normal Waveout is no different? hmmm.

Quote:

Edit: It's not asio that takes up cpu, it's the resampling. What's the difference between waveout and waveout ssrc? And is there a dll for it for use with foobar?

Waveout SSRC means Waveout w/resampling. I resample to 24/96 (see my sig), and using the same levels of resampling in ASIO takes at LEAST twice the CPU, because in Waveout SSRC I can do "fast mode", which makes it work less but doesn't really affect the quality. There's no such option in ASIO.

Also, no, i can't find a waveout SSRC for foobar.
frown.gif

Quote:

The RME drivers completely bypass the kmixer so you can use waveout, asio, dx, or whatever without worrying about your bits getting mangled.

then why do people swear by ASIO so much? Is it just the typical Audiophile dillusion?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #102 of 129
Sduibek, I'm saying Waveout, DirectSound, and ASIO won't sound different on the RME because there's no kmixer resampling. Each is as pure. This is only the case with the RME not other soundcards which must use ASIO or kernel streaming to bypass kmixer.

Waveout SSRC is old. It stopped being developed when the creator ditched winamp and went to make foobar.

The ASIO winamp plugin is made by the Japanese guy and has a TOP option which uses even more CPU power. It has the best quality. I don't bother resampling in any less method which means I gave up foobar. Seems we have opposite problems. I figure ASIO's various setting take more power because they are higher quality.

>>>Also, no, i can't find a waveout SSRC for foobar.

It doesn't exist.

>>>then why do people swear by ASIO so much? Is it just the typical Audiophile dillusion

ASIO is made for professional audio applications. It's designed for low latency and high performance. The only reason we use it is mainly to bypass kmixer. It predates kernel streaming.

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #103 of 129
Wow, thanks Ian. That actually clears up a bunch!
3000smile.gif

*here's a cookie for your good deads*

Quote:

Seems we have opposite problems

eh? I don't get why we're having opposite problems...

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #104 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Sduibek
*here's a cookie for your good deads*

eh? I don't get why we're having opposite problems...

It's snack time!
biggrin.gif

We'll we're having opposite "problem" because I'm looking to use the most CPU power
tongue.gif
and you're looking for the option with least.

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #105 of 129
Oh. lol. It's just because you're a silly poopoohead.
cool.gif
tongue.gif

I see your viewpoint, though.. why cut any corners when dealing with pure audio yummyness, right? I completely agree, but i'm too much of a computer nerd to take the 30% CPU hit
biggrin.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back