RME 96/8 PAD - whoa....
Mar 22, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #106 of 129
If you're a computer nerd, this is a great excuse to upgrade.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #108 of 129
In regards to the RME Waveout being unmixed - ie, the same as ASIO... I resample my audio to 96000, 24 bit padded to 32, like most of us. But when I try throwing the equalizer in the mix, things get all choppy, clipping out the ass, regardless of the buffer size. When I switch it to waveout it works with the eq just fine. Interestingly, the convolver works fine with both. Can anyone else test this out to see if they get similiar results? Why, if they're both direct signals, does Asio perform so much worse than waveout?

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #109 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
In regards to the RME Waveout being unmixed - ie, the same as ASIO... I resample my audio to 96000, 24 bit padded to 32, like most of us. But when I try throwing the equalizer in the mix, things get all choppy, clipping out the ass, regardless of the buffer size. When I switch it to waveout it works with the eq just fine. Interestingly, the convolver works fine with both. Can anyone else test this out to see if they get similiar results? Why, if they're both direct signals, does Asio perform so much worse than waveout?

same here, can't get the sound good with 96K and asio no matter what I try it keeps breaking up.

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #110 of 129
I wonder if your setups are just not as powerful and/or have too many things running at once?

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #111 of 129
I would not know if amd 2600+ would be powerful enough but i'd like to think it is.
I do infact run a few other programs at the same time when listening, but nothing major like games or something like that.

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #113 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Whit
Try increasing the asio plugin's buffer size.

Thanks, but no joy.

If anything reducing the buffer to zero actually improves things a bit, funny enough....
The asio driver is in some ways starved of cpu cycles since when I checked windows task manager for the cpu usage there are intermittent peaks to 100 % with foobar running and a bit lower when not.
I do not know what program is causing this but I will find out I am pretty sure its causing the dropouts.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #114 of 129
In the RME DIGI Settings setup, Your buffer samples are on 1024 samples?

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #115 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
In the RME DIGI Settings setup, Your buffer samples are on 1024 samples?

Yes, second setting on the mode page, 1024 32 bit.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #116 of 129
Most strange. Well ASIO is made for low latency so if there is something in contention with the program then I say just forget it and use WAVEOUT. It's no different.

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #117 of 129
lan, thanks, I will probably do that if I can't find the cause of the spikes in the cpu usage.
Well at least it keeps things interesting, I was already buying more tubes for my earmax pro because of boredom so hopefully this tinkering will slow me down a bit
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #118 of 129
In my experience, the computer can get laggy in various ways. PCI bus saturation, memory/FSB saturation, and CPU usage maxed out. Sometimes when I do heavy audio/video processing, my harddrives would probably be used too much and make my sound hiccup. When there's not enough FSB/memory bandwidth, things can get real slow also. This is most evident for me when I used to run Dual PIII. If you have 1 CPU, and a program is a CPU hog, it can lag other programs. I like the modern P4 system because it has a lot of FSB and memory bandwidth and hyperthreading. This makes multitasking very smooth.

Yes you have to find out what that weird spike is.

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #119 of 129
I'm kicking myself in the rear for not grabbing this card when it was $199 at jdsound. Maybe it'll go on sale again tho. I should look for an eBay auction...

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #120 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I'm kicking myself in the rear for not grabbing this card when it was $199 at jdsound. Maybe it'll go on sale again tho. I should look for an eBay auction...

Well for the sound quality it is still a steal at $299. Throw in $40 worth of parts for mods, and now you're really talkin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back