RME 96/8 PAD - whoa....
Jan 16, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #76 of 129
Encoding happens so much faster when you have more mhz
biggrin.gif
Multitasking with hyperthreading P4s is great also as you can encode and still use your computer pretty well.

Jan 18, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #79 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Encoding happens so much faster when you have more mhz
biggrin.gif
Multitasking with hyperthreading P4s is great also as you can encode and still use your computer pretty well.

LOL, I like your new avatar and sig. Heheh.
k1000smile.gif

-Ed

Jan 18, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #80 of 129
I've been looking at this myself, and what's the best/cheapest place to buy this online? I've been looking around myself, but I don't want to miss anything.

Also, is there an online reseller that has a return policy as liberal as headroom?
I doubt it, but it's a possibility.

Finally, last question, but what's the recommended cable in the $50 or less price range? Any good options for $30?

(I'll buy used as well, hint hint)

Jan 18, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #82 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I believe that www.jdsound.com still has the best price on this card.

I got a great cable for it from www.headphile.com, which is run by a fellow head-fier. The one I got was $50 but is silver, you could save a few bucks more ny going copper instead.

thanks for the quick response, one more question is did you get the regular or the CPU cable?

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #87 of 129
Quote:

nd by the way, I can tell the difference from waveout to AISO, which is great. :p

Well, I have an SSRC upsampling version of Waveout for Winamp, and compared it to ASIO a bit after I bought my RME.. and I honestly couldn't tell any differences in quality between the two.

Now, ASIO sounded *different*, but not *better*. ASIO was more "forced" sound.. like I felt like it was kind of throwing the output into my headphones a bit more. Also ASIO sounded a bit more digital to me.

Those were SLIGHT differences though.. so either i have "Bad" ears... or the person I quoted might want to check why they think ASIO sounds so much better
wink.gif

Oh, another thing.. no matter what settings I used, ASIO has pop, clicks, etc. I never had hours upon hours of perfect playback, which I always have with SSRC Waveout, and with less CPU useage (and it actually supports gapless output, which ASIO can't do well at all, there's a nasty click between songs)

To conclude my rambling.. I don't understand why everyone *loves* the ASIO output so much. If you use winamp, try out the SSRC upsampling waveout (don't remember the site, Google it) and compare them.

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #88 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Sduibek
To conclude my rambling.. I don't understand why everyone *loves* the ASIO output so much. If you use winamp, try out the SSRC upsampling waveout (don't remember the site, Google it) and compare them.

That's a good choice with Win9x, but a poor one for Win2k and XP... the OS futzes extensively with the sound when you use WaveOut. Basically, WaveOut is emulated and goes through a bunch of unnecessary processing steps before being sent to the soundcard. On Win9x, it's a direct hardware output to the card.

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #90 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Sduibek
Then why in Win2k and WinXP do I always have problems with ASIO, but not with my SSRC version of WaveOut?
confused.gif

Likely because ASIO is either not properly set up, or you're using a buggy implementation. What about kernel streaming, have you tried that?

I'm not an expert on Win2k/XP (in fact I've used it maybe twice on a friend's laptop) but I'm pretty sure WaveOut is totally emulated. Try searching around on www.hydrogenaudio.org for threads related to this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back