RME 96/8 PAD - whoa....
Jan 15, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #61 of 129
That's a problem. Windows 2000 doesn't support Hyperthreading as it can't tell the difference between a real and a virtual CPU. So it's basically mismanaging resources right now.

Go into the BIOS and turn off hyperthreading. See what happens.

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #63 of 129
I'm using Wave out with Foobar and my RME PAD. Is ASIO better?

I don't see ASIO as an option in Foobar, though.
confused.gif

-Ed

Jan 15, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #65 of 129
Hmm.. received a RME Digi 96/8 PAD today too, and am so far happy with it, so far just learning to use Foobar2k.

I have installed the DLL driver, but can't get any sound at all in Foobar 7.7, am using the same settings, Geek posted at page two in this thread.
In Winamp it plays fine (at 44 kHz, for example). For some reason, in Winamp, when i select 96 kHz upsampling the played mp3 is playing at half-speed making the audio produced at half the speed so it sounds like crap. What am I doing wrong ?

I have attached the settings used in the RME settings monitor. I use 1024 samples under "Mode". How did everyone setup their card to make it run like it is now ?

I am using it with a SB Live! Value, should I uninstall anything by Creative to make the RME work as it should ? I want to run a dual-setup, though.

Jan 15, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #66 of 129
Bad news.
First I disabled the HT in Windows2000, it didn't solve the "pops" problem. And I really want it to work, so I installed XP.
The pops are still there...!!!
mad.gif

So the HT support is not the problem, anyone can think of anything else might solve my "pop sound"?

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #67 of 129
MoLtoSoLo, I'm sorry to hear you are still having your issues.

Can you be more specific about the pops? like when and where, programs, etc. Do you still get it with Wavout? how about with winamp?

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #69 of 129
When using waveout, everything is fine.
But when I switch to ASIO output, there are some pops randomly in the music. Also if there's another sound, for example, when you clean the recycle bin, the music would become noise.
Usually I only run IE, Outlook Express with foobar, and the CPU usage seems low.
It's very odd.

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #71 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by MoLtoSoLo
But when I switch to ASIO output, there are some pops randomly in the music.

Also if there's another sound, for example, when you clean the recycle bin, the music would become noise.

How is winamp + ASIO?

That 2nd problem is what happens when the directsound app tries to use soundcard at same time as ASIO app. Not recommended. Turn off your system sounds or send it to another soundcard.

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #72 of 129
Just got everything sorted out. Removed the SBLive card compeletly, uninstalled Winamp and Foobar2k, restarted and reinstalled Foobar2k. Now everything is working fine again, the problem seem to occur if I choose DirectSound 2.0 as output, so I'm avoiding that. And another thing: I really think that the problem was the "Force ADAT" under the RME settings was selected. Now it has been set as automatic and works perfectly. No problems at 96 kHz either, only with CD playback. It is a 1200 Mhz Athlon TB with PC-133 SD-RAM at stock speeds... ancient machine compared to what is available today, but I don't feel like spending more money on PC Hardware, only audio equipment. The RME was my choice since I still use the computer a lot for music.

I am hooking headphones directly to the output of the Line-out / monitor-out, but am planning to build an amp (might buy one in the end). The RME has no problem driving 75 Ohms headphones (HD-25) to crazy sound levels... will I hear a benefit of getting a headphone amp ?

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #75 of 129
Heh, just tried my CMOY with it, and it was very noticeable that it improved on the sound making it sound more airy. Hehe... CPU usage is 30%-35% during playback @ 32 bit (padded from 24), 96 kHz... sometimes I don't understand what people use the latest technology for, when the older technology still works fine... I think you're right about people needs of Mhz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back