Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #1,771 of 2,051
During the recent Heidelberg headphone fair, several people ordered Envy OG after a session with Immanis. It just had stock tubes.

Go figure :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #1,772 of 2,051
The primavera is not a 300B amp though, it uses the 811 tube which is a big-boy DHT like the 845

Whoops! Complete mixup on my end. Ty for the correction

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #1,773 of 2,051
During the recent Heidelberg headphone fair, several people ordered Envy OG after a session with Immanis. It just had stock tubes.

Go figure :)
I also don't think the og envy is worth more than maybe 4k and is still uncompetitive at that price. Just different tastes. I own a dac that everyone else hates and I love it. Don't feel the need to justify what you like

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #1,774 of 2,051
The mixed impressions (there is a reason I chose the words I did) are just from talking to people at and after the show. I've not seen a single impression between "What, why is that more than 4k" and "ima buy it". Opinions on the amp were asked for so I gave mine. That doesnt mean you can't like it nor that people are wrong for buying it. It just means, when asked, I will recomend against it basicaly regardless of circumstances cause I saw 0 aspects in which it justified itself given the competition.
When people own an amp, they take offense when someone else doesn't like it 🤷‍♂️

I don't know why this expectation that all opinions must be homogenous

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #1,775 of 2,051
I also don't think the og envy is worth more than maybe 4k and is still uncompetitive at that price. Just different tastes. I own a dac that everyone else hates and I love it. Don't feel the need to justify what you like
Out of interest, what would you say is competing with it at even 4k? Not trying to start an argument as Envy owner, genuinely interested 👍

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #1,776 of 2,051
Out of interest, what would you say is competing with it at even 4k? Not trying to start an argument as Envy owner, genuinely interested 👍
Mogwai SE is fairly different tonaly but competes on a technical level for a bit over 2k used. While it won't run sus, honestly, euphoria evo gets extremely close with stuff it can run. The entry level wells stuff I would also put over envy for a more similar sound. Honestly, if you desperately want 300b with sus, I don't think envy is unjustifiable used (though I would still recomend against it). I just find the new pricing a joke from a technical stand point

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #1,777 of 2,051
Cant second this. Had Euforia Evo and much more expensive Bliss. Envy simply blows both out of the water with ZMF headhpones not to speak of Susvara or Tungsten.

I dont think AE is trying to compete with 20k speaker amps, its simply a limited luxury variant with already upgraded tubes and some tweaks for deep pocket Feliks Audio fan crowd.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,778 of 2,051
Mogwai SE is fairly different tonaly but competes on a technical level for a bit over 2k used. While it won't run sus, honestly, euphoria evo gets extremely close with stuff it can run. The entry level wells stuff I would also put over envy for a more similar sound. Honestly, if you desperately want 300b with sus, I don't think envy is unjustifiable used (though I would still recomend against it). I just find the new pricing a joke from a technical stand point
Appreciate the response. Will let the board return to its proper topic by not expanding on envy stuff.
Always nice to hear other impressions though.

I don't know that I would go for a Riviera but it's the old you don't know what you don't know. Will keep watching thread anyway as there's always interesting chain tips coming up, and Riviera continues to intrigue me as I dip a toe into summit fi.

All the best!

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #1,779 of 2,051
Cant second this. Had Euforia Evo and much more expensive Bliss. Envy simply blows both out of the water with ZMF headhpones not to speak of Susvara or Tungsten.

I dont think AE is trying to compete with 20k speaker amps, its simply a limited luxury variant with already upgraded tubes and some tweaks for deep pocket Feliks Audio fan crowd.
Oh, I mean if you are talking zmf, you have way way way more options. DNA, EC, Glen, certain cavalli options, and many more I would req over envy. Its only for sus that i basicsly understand it at all. I mean, id take red october over envy and i hate that amp too.

Again, like what you like (I know many here would.l hate my chain), but I have no reason to not be honest about my distate for the massive cash grab I see the AE as being.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,781 of 2,051
Appreciate the response. Will let the board return to its proper topic by not expanding on envy stuff.
Always nice to hear other impressions though.

I don't know that I would go for a Riviera but it's the old you don't know what you don't know. Will keep watching thread anyway as there's always interesting chain tips coming up, and Riviera continues to intrigue me as I dip a toe into summit fi.

All the best!

No sweat at all man. And get some more impressions as well (not like im some sole source of truth). Imo comparisons from multiple people is the only real way to even get a vauge grasp at how stuff stacks up if you canr go hear it.

Just fwiw, if you want some more specific reqs, feel free to list our your chain, budget, and likes & dislikes with your current chain and we will have a lot easier time pointing you in a few directions

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #1,782 of 2,051
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #1,783 of 2,051
the envy is spectacular and I am far from the only person who feels that way,with updated tubes It is as good as anything I have heard...you dont like it..so be it..I personally would not buy the limited edition model but more power to those who choose to

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #1,784 of 2,051
What is Envy OG?
Original release and the perfomance edition.
Oh, I mean if you are talking zmf, you have way way way more options. DNA, EC, Glen, certain cavalli options, and many more I would req over envy. Its only for sus that i basicsly understand it at all. I mean, id take red october over envy and i hate that amp too.

Again, like what you like (I know many here would.l hate my chain), but I have no reason to not be honest about my distate for the massive cash grab I see the AE as being.

Hate is a rather strong word when it comes to an… headphone amp.
I heard red october, cant say I prefered it over Envy. Apart of it being almost twice the price of Envy, its even more expensive for us EU Folks, just like Envy is more expensive then many comparable amps for people in US.

I highly recommend giving Envy another go with Fullmusic tubes or better well burned in Western Electric, you might be suprised. I found ZMF get on a different level with WE tubes and according to a friend ( yet to try) Takatsuki tubes that emphasise the mids. As for Susvara, shaping the sound of it with 300b and driver tubes is a hobby on its own. Prefer my current 300b Susvara chain to stuff like Aperio.

All in all I partially share you resentment regarding AE, just reading the specs I really don’t see the almost 10k price increase over original Envy. It can be justified with "a luxury whale edition" for people who want to support the brand, but I really not expecting any significant sonic upgrade from it over original Envy apart of what Elrogs bring to the table.
Though - maybe I am wrong, if I learned something with tubes - tube amps need time to be fully evaluated with different rolls. Envy with stock tubes is certainly not worth the extra 4-5k over Feliks Euphoria, when it comes to ZMF headphones for example.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #1,785 of 2,051
Hi, just received my Riviera AIC-10. Absolutely magical! Everyone in the forum is spot on...it is next level. Coming from Holo Bliss KTE...

Question please... I have the G73R tube...and read it is the best. Is there another tube you would roll with? I read a Mullard is also on the level of G73? Newbie to the Riviera...appreciate any advice. Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back