Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #1,756 of 1,867
When looking for such tubes, make sure the seller is reliable because there are painted fake tubes out there.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #1,757 of 1,867
Why pick one when you can roll both...

Indeed

Though, there is a bit extra effort with this one unscrewing cover and replacing (and, when it’s in a middle shelf of a stack in my case, also schlepping the unit to a nearby table. So I try to find a roll I want to listen o a few weeks or months at a time

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #1,758 of 1,867
Did you all order your G73-R over eBay from Vietnam? The prices seem to have dropped again? I find quite a number of them for less than 300€. I remember prices around 500€ maybe a year ago. I find it a little odd that all these tubes produced in Germany are now being sold from Vietnam. Do you know in which appliance and where these tubes were used? Why are there almost no tubes sold in Europe, where most of them I assume where used back in the 60s?

If priced too low, tread carefully (NOS tube prices only go in one direction over time)

That said, there are a couple of Vietnamese vendors (Hanoi tubes, and forget the other one) who gobble up tons of NOS inventory as a business and resell. Hanoi are legit. I bought some other rare tubes from them. They do tend to be pricy, but if you’re looking for something and email them, they may have it (even if not listed). One guy who owns or sells for them is US based if I recall, and he replies to emails fast.

They are also occasionally available from vendors in Italy (or at least used to be). Few quality Italian vendors are also in the NOS business of buying batches and reselling.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,760 of 1,867
Has anyone yet heard the Feliks Envy Anniversary Edition compared to A1C with Susvara??
the envy AE seems to be getting a lot of mixed feedback. TBH, I thought it was basically trash given the price (out resolved by the new ZMF amp which also ran sus better to boot), but others bought it on the spot. For me personally, it felt like a envy with more incision, smaller stage, and a lot more grain (basically the changes you get from elrogs anyways but made even worse by the grain). If you are looking for a 300B amp in that tier I would look into the traformatic primavera. That said, if you like the elrog sound, I would just go with 845s (viva is amazing, and aries cerat genius may be worth a look as well, but I havent heard it myself)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #1,763 of 1,867
the envy AE seems to be getting a lot of mixed feedback. TBH, I thought it was basically trash given the price (out resolved by the new ZMF amp which also ran sus better to boot), but others bought it on the spot. For me personally, it felt like an envy with more incision, smaller stage, and a lot more grain (basically the changes you get from elrogs anyways but made even worse by the grain). If you are looking for a 300B amp in that tier I would look into the traformatic primavera. That said, if you like the elrog sound, I would just go with 845s (viva is amazing, and aries cerat genius may be worth a look as well, but I havent heard it myself)
Can you direct me to those mixed reviews you alluded to?

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #1,765 of 1,867
Should be easy enough to find as I'm guessing they are proper formal reviews given the use of flowery, audiophile terms like trash.
I searched trash and nothing came up. I wonder why folks bought it on the spot? Perhaps it was the shiny black piano finish. Maybe the Feliks branded Elrog tubes? Perhaps it was the “amorphous” transformers? Cult limited to 25 numbered collectors pieces? I know they are proud to showcase at the CANJAM events.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #1,766 of 1,867
Envy is simply an outstanding amp on its own that is highly regarded by many.

People who wanted a limited AE with preinstalled Elrogs and a nice piano finish + some additional quirks went with AE, it’s that simple.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,768 of 1,867
Listened to plenty 300b amps before getting Envy. Went with Envy in the end - probably one of my best investments in my chain. Though solid state sounding Elrogs wouldn’t be my first choice for AE.

Curious how Elrogs sound on AE compared to PE though.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #1,769 of 1,867
Listened to plenty 300b amps before getting Envy. Went with Envy in the end - probably one of my best investments in my chain. Though solid state sounding Elrogs wouldn’t be my first choice for AE.

Curious how Elrogs sound on AE compared to PE though.

“amorphous core trafos is probably the single most influential upgrade over regular Envy. We have noted significantly expanded higher end of frequency response, it’s like increasing dynamic range in a photo editor. To the extent that we liked the Anniverasry more with ER300B than with Mo version - the latter sounded too bright, the ER300B on the other hand was a great balancing in terms of “pleasure” and smoothness while retaining great details”

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,770 of 1,867
Can you direct me to those mixed reviews you alluded to?
The mixed impressions (there is a reason I chose the words I did) are just from talking to people at and after the show. I've not seen a single impression between "What, why is that more than 4k" and "ima buy it". Opinions on the amp were asked for so I gave mine. That doesnt mean you can't like it nor that people are wrong for buying it. It just means, when asked, I will recomend against it basicaly regardless of circumstances cause I saw 0 aspects in which it justified itself given the competition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back