Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #1,741 of 1,867
Thanks for recommending the Weiss DAC – I’ll definitely give it a try! Has anyone had experience pairing the AIC-10 with the Holo May KTE? I'm curious to hear any thoughts or experiences with this combination

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #1,742 of 1,867
I might have an opportunity at a decently-priced AIC through a friend. Obviously I know it synergises well with Susvara, but has anyone tried it with the ZMF Caldera? I am debating upgrading my Ferrum stack to either a WA23 or AIC-10, and would appreciate any insights on how much of an "upgrade" to anticipate or how the WA23 compares to AIC. I am mainly hoping for a slightly more "emotional" and "musical" experience than the Susvara out of Ferrum/Rockna WL, while improving overall dynamics and "energy".

I love my Caldera w/ the AIC10-BAL running G73-R. Can't really name anything that I wish for. Note that in HP-LOW mode, with my input signal usually the Riviera is at 9 to 10 oclock volume. It'd be great if there's even a lower power mode for these relatively sensitive headphones.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #1,743 of 1,867
I just listed my DHC Chimera Speaker Tap adaptor -> 4-pin XLR. Chimera is easily the best cable I've heard using sus on aic, and the adaptor takes it that extra step. If someone from this thread wants it, just mention the thread in your PM and I'll give you an even better price. Only selling to raise funds for a super rare used item for my dac I stumbled across and will 100% will be buying another in the near future

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #1,744 of 1,867
Currently borrowing aic-10 from @msq123 . This amp sounds absolutely incredible, so euphoric. This and masskobo 465 for me takes the cake for best amp for susvara. I will be borrowing a wavedream signature balanced soon to pair with it Which i'm sure will be a better match. Will post my thoughts once I've spent time with both 1266, sus, rolling tubes and trying different dacs but yeh just wow. Currently using g73r for sus.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #1,745 of 1,867
Currently borrowing aic-10 from @msq123 . This amp sounds absolutely incredible, so euphoric. This and masskobo 465 for me takes the cake for best amp for susvara. I will be borrowing a wavedream signature balanced soon to pair with it Which i'm sure will be a better match. Will post my thoughts once I've spent time with both 1266, sus, rolling tubes and trying different dacs.

Enjoy..

I’ve found the AIC to be so much better than the 465 with the Susvara - more life, body, texture, character (and was the reason i ended choosing it).

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #1,746 of 1,867
Enjoy..

I’ve found the AIC to be so much better than the 465 with the Susvara - more life, body, texture, character (and was the reason i ended choosing it).
i really wish i could spend more time with 465 in my own system against aic-10. from what i heard i really liked it. the low end on 465 was beyond ridiculous with susvara, I'm trying to decide between buying aic-10 or 465 :beyersmile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #1,747 of 1,867
i really wish i could spend more time with 465 in my own system against aic-10. from what i heard i really liked it. the low end on 465 was beyond ridiculous with susvara, I'm trying to decide between buying aic-10 or 465 :beyersmile:

I demo-ed them side by side in show condition, but over an hour and it was quiet. With both the Susvara and Tungsten the AIC was just so Vicki superior to me.

The one advantage of the AIC is that one tiny 12au7 gain tube roll can have quite a material impact and help you tune it to your system/taste. For bass, if you like rich texture and warmth, I highly recommend the Mullard M8136 (which I use). For more speed and neutrality, the Telefunken G73R is great. And many other choices in between.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #1,748 of 1,867
I demo-ed them side by side in show condition, but over an hour and it was quiet. With both the Susvara and Tungsten the AIC was just so Vicki superior to me.

The one advantage of the AIC is that one tiny 12au7 gain tube roll can have quite a material impact and help you tune it to your system/taste. For bass, if you like rich texture and warmth, I highly recommend the Mullard M8136 (which I use). For more speed and neutrality, the Telefunken G73R is great. And many other choices in between.
I got to hear 465 yesterday at a private meet and was impressed. I think I have the mullard m8316 here with me to tube roll. Will try it soon

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #1,749 of 1,867
I got to hear 465 yesterday at a private meet and was impressed. I think I have the mullard m8316 here with me to tube roll. Will try it soon

The 465 is a great amp.

But I’d be lying if I said I could tell it apart from any great SS amp in the 4-8k range. And, so, it wasn’t compelling for me.

The AIC10 has a very distinct character that is just so wonderfully lush and textured.

Enjoy the tube roll..

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #1,750 of 1,867
Spent the last few days with G73R and today I'm trying out a mullard shark teeth 1954. I have alot to say about this amp plus comparisons with hm1, wa33 jps elite and red october .

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,751 of 1,867
Spent the last few days with G73R and today I'm trying out a mullard shark teeth 1954. I have alot to say about this amp plus comparisons with hm1, wa33 jps elite and red october .

I just got a Mullard M8136 tube and I'm waiting for a G73-R to come in. Can you tell me how they're different in terms of sound?

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #1,752 of 1,867
I just got a Mullard M8136 tube and I'm waiting for a G73-R to come in. Can you tell me how they're different in terms of sound?
Sure will post some impressions tonight

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #1,753 of 1,867

My impressions have been that the G73R is technically fantastic and gets this amp as close to a perfect SS amp as one could get - very clean and high resolving. While the M8136 offers warmth, body, and texture and gets this amp as close to a perfect tube amp as one could get (coupled with the astounding SS class A output stage).

I’ve landed on the M8136, as it gave the amp the most character and transformed the Susvara with a wonderfully textured warmth while maintaining great performance.

If you want the amp to disappear and have the most pristine chain possible, G73R is your choice.

Id you want the amp to add the most value and transform your chain, M8136 would your choice. And, its mine..

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #1,755 of 1,867
Did you all order your G73-R over eBay from Vietnam? The prices seem to have dropped again? I find quite a number of them for less than 300€. I remember prices around 500€ maybe a year ago. I find it a little odd that all these tubes produced in Germany are now being sold from Vietnam. Do you know in which appliance and where these tubes were used? Why are there almost no tubes sold in Europe, where most of them I assume where used back in the 60s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back