Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Feb 26, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #1,711 of 1,873
Just to echo the posts above, I had the May and while I was using it with a lesser amp I liked it. Soon as I moved to big boy amps like the Viva Egoista and the Riviera, I could tell the DAC was holding me back.

So I went all in and upgraded to a MSB Premier DAC and now the DAC is at the same sonic level as the Riviera. While I got it for a substantial discount, it would still be way more $$ than the May. So in that case I agree a used Wavedream would be the way to go, or maybe a T&A DAC 200...

Oh yah, aic scales high. Anyone with an aic, if you can afford it, throw a bunch of money at your front end. I'm still not entierly convinced that my dac isn't holding aic back a bit tbh

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #1,713 of 1,873
@eskamobob1 @tdx did u guy use the may only or with software like hqplayer?
I used the May almost solely with HQPlayer, with a beefy PC to enable the highest end filters. And it sounded good, don't get me wrong. But after getting the MSB, and A/B-ing it with HQPlayer and without, I find the MSB's internal handling of audio to be equal if not better than the best HQP can achieve. Plus that way i don't have the noisy fan of my PC to deal with.

Anyway that's a discussion for another thread. If you want more info on that feel free to pm me, wanna keep this discussion geared towards the wonderful AIC-10 :wink:

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #1,715 of 1,873
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,716 of 1,873
I might have an opportunity at a decently-priced AIC through a friend. Obviously I know it synergises well with Susvara, but has anyone tried it with the ZMF Caldera? I am debating upgrading my Ferrum stack to either a WA23 or AIC-10, and would appreciate any insights on how much of an "upgrade" to anticipate or how the WA23 compares to AIC. I am mainly hoping for a slightly more "emotional" and "musical" experience than the Susvara out of Ferrum/Rockna WL, while improving overall dynamics and "energy".

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #1,717 of 1,873
Before moving on from the May (which, yes, can be bettered for use with this amp), maybe some cash in the direction of the source might bring a bigger improvement in sound than the admittedly big strips recommended above.
If a PC is still the source, then a high quality dedicated streamer will be a very good addition, bringing a quieter and cleaner sound with much better imaging, definition and stage depth. Innuos, Lumin, Auralic, Antipodes…

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #1,719 of 1,873
Yes, I've owned the regular Edition before upgrading to the Signature and the step up in performance is noticeable and appreciated. I've been using Rockna DACs for close to two years now as my reference. The Signature is the more mature DAC, it takes the Edition's edge off a bit and produces a more tonally balanced and organic sound. Detail retrieval, imaging and spatial cues improve. They both share the Rockna house sound as one would expect. Timbre and "realism" improve as well. Stage size is about the same.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #1,720 of 1,873
Yes, I've owned the regular Edition before upgrading to the Signature and the step up in performance is noticeable and appreciated. I've been using Rockna DACs for close to two years now as my reference. The Signature is the more mature DAC, it takes the Edition's edge off a bit and produces a more tonally balanced and organic sound. Detail retrieval, imaging and spatial cues improve. They both share the Rockna house sound as one would expect. Timbre and "realism" improve as well. Stage size is about the same.
Thanks for the clarification!

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #1,721 of 1,873
I might have an opportunity at a decently-priced AIC through a friend. Obviously I know it synergises well with Susvara, but has anyone tried it with the ZMF Caldera? I am debating upgrading my Ferrum stack to either a WA23 or AIC-10, and would appreciate any insights on how much of an "upgrade" to anticipate or how the WA23 compares to AIC. I am mainly hoping for a slightly more "emotional" and "musical" experience than the Susvara out of Ferrum/Rockna WL, while improving overall dynamics and "energy".

The AIC is excellent with the Caldera.

I would mention that I keep delighting in how much one can tune this amp baesd on a single gain tube; I wouldn't have expected this from a hybrid amp. I've listend to them with the M8136, which has a wonderfully sweet presentation that synregizes very well wtih the Caldera's physical and dynamic presentation. I've just rolled in the Mazda so too early to share at this detail. But there is an opportunity here for fine tuning for sure.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #1,724 of 1,873
quite a bargain and to think a few years ago I could have bought one used for 5k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back