Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Feb 15, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #1,696 of 1,873
I just got the Meze Elite today, my second round with them… First time was over a year ago and it lasted a week with a quick catch-and-release; it was good but not great.

After that first brush, I demo-ed the Meze with their new Alcantara Angled pads at Chicago/SoCal/Dallas CanJams and found those really made a difference for me (much more open, better resolving, still smooth but no longer “smoothed out”); I've been curious to give that a test in my home.

Now that I have for last fe hours, I've also found the AIC made a massive difference on top.

I can’t recall another headphone where the amp had such a lift. In comparison, the Elite on my other amps sounds anemic.

Interestingly, these are very sensitive headphones that can be easily powered by a dongle - but the AIC opens them up massively, a dramatic lift in both dyanmics and grandeur of presentation.

Another great combo for the AIC!

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,697 of 1,873
I don't own it myself, but a local fellow head-fier has the Tungsten. Tried it on the AIC-10 and it is also another revelation in huge gains in SQ for a HP.

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #1,698 of 1,873
I don't own it myself, but a local fellow head-fier has the Tungsten. Tried it on the AIC-10 and it is also another revelation in huge gains in SQ for a HP.

Tungsten on the AIC is amazing - best amp I've heard it on.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #1,699 of 1,873
Feb 18, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #1,700 of 1,873
Is it possible to adjust the AIC-10 amplifier from 220V to 110V on my own? Also, I've tried contacting the manufacturer about this but haven't received a response yet.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #1,702 of 1,873
For anyone interested, I had the AIC-10 for about 3 weeks and compared to my Eddie Current and CFA3 amp chain, powered by the Dave/Mscaler. I had the Tungsten DC and Susvara on hand for the comparison, mainly used the Susvara since I know it in my system very well. Very favorable impressions for the AIC. You can start here to see the journey from start to finish if you'd like.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #1,703 of 1,873
Is it possible to adjust the AIC-10 amplifier from 220V to 110V on my own? Also, I've tried contacting the manufacturer about this but haven't received a response yet.
Contact James at High End Repair. He is the US Repair location for Riviera. He may be able to do it.

James Koch
High End Repair
601 E Indian School Rd
Suite 200
Phoenix, AZ 85012
www.highendrepair.com
480-398-7362

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,704 of 1,873
Just rolled in French Mazda Belvu Cifte from 1960s.

Thanks @eskamobob1 for this recommendation - it's awesome.

I'll have to spend some time getting to know it. My very initial impressions, a few tracks in, is that it sits somewhere in between the M8136, which has been my favorite so far for its exraordinarty sweet timbre, and the G73R, which has been the most technical/neutral (and which I haven't preferred on this amp so far).

I'm getting a sense of extra spaciousness coupled with sweetness. I'll have to spend much more time to get to know this tube - but thanks for this recommendation!

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #1,707 of 1,873
I have it paired with a Rockna Wavelight and truly enjoy and love the combination

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #1,709 of 1,873
Does anybody use aic 10 with holo may? Does it pair well with holo may or different dac?
I mean, I don't think it has band synergy with may personaly, I just don't like the dac though. For around 5k I'd aim for a used rockna WD Edition or Bricasti M1SE. If you can stretch to 6k, a used ma3 or weiss 501/502 will be a pretty stout step up over the previous two. You can also get a dave around 6k, and similar to the may, while it's not bad synergy I just don't like the dac and findnit fairly uncompetitive in the modern landscape.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,710 of 1,873
Just to echo the posts above, I had the May and while I was using it with a lesser amp I liked it. Soon as I moved to big boy amps like the Viva Egoista and the Riviera, I could tell the DAC was holding me back.

So I went all in and upgraded to a MSB Premier DAC and now the DAC is at the same sonic level as the Riviera. While I got it for a substantial discount, it would still be way more $$ than the May. So in that case I agree a used Wavedream would be the way to go, or maybe a T&A DAC 200...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back