Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jan 22, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #1,666 of 1,873
The Focal Utopia does not need an external amp....I find minimal to negligible difference compared to the Riviera.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,668 of 1,873
The Focal Utopia does not need an external amp....I find minimal to negligible difference compared to the Riviera.
Utopia on the right tube amp is magical. As much as I love AIC10 you can find better synergy for cheaper for Utopia specifically. From my experience it's one of the trickiest headphones to pair with a chain that brings the most out of it but it is very rewarding when done right.
It's still great with AIC10 just to make that clear too.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,669 of 1,873
Jan 22, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,670 of 1,873
Utopia on the right tube amp is magical. As much as I love AIC10 you can find better synergy for cheaper for Utopia specifically. From my experience it's one of the trickiest headphones to pair with a chain that brings the most out of it but it is very rewarding when done right.
It's still great with AIC10 just to make that clear too.
I wanted to say that the TT2 drives the Utopia excellently. The Riviera is meant to drive the soon to arrive Susvara.
Do you have any amp suggestion for the Utopia?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #1,672 of 1,873
I believe you but the Lazuli cable is kind of an exageration because with the transport plus custom taxes it would be to expensive for me to import (EU).

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,673 of 1,873
I would though invest in some RCA cables (TT2 to Riviera) before replacing the Forza headphone cable.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #1,674 of 1,873
I believe you but the Lazuli cable is kind of an exageration because with the transport plus custom taxes it would be too expensive for me to import (EU).
Find a used cable. You can always use adapters. For any other headphone you want to use.

They also have the Lazuli Rhapsody which is like a baby Nirvana.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #1,675 of 1,873
I’ve found the biggest cable impact with the Riviera to come from power cable synergy.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #1,677 of 1,873
I’ve found the biggest cable impact with the Riviera to come from power cable synergy.

Agreed! I'd rank the power cable second to headphone cable in cabling synergy regard. Then interconnects after power cable and finally upstream cabling is the last (Coax, BNC etc).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,678 of 1,873
What you using. Currently I’m using the DH Labs Red Wave.

I'm using the Nordost Heimdall 2.

Curiously, I didn't like this cable on any of my other amps and It was stuck where I used it the least, until I got the AIC10 and started my usual experiments when a new piece of gear arrives, and found out that - for this amp - it was my preferred choice.

Everything related to power - conidtioning, cables, etc - is so location and chain specific, it's often hard to predict. But in my place, in my chain, this now seems to be awesome. It has a bit extra clarity and opennes in high frequencies which matches very nicely with this amp.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #1,679 of 1,873
Glad to hear that. I also like the Chord sound and that is why I will most probably buy the Susvara before changing the DAC.
My problem is that I can not afford to upgrade both my DAC and my headphone so I have to choose one or the other...for now.
If you have aic, I think sus makes more sense to grab than a new dac tbh.

As for everyone with a dave, tbh, I don't like the chord sound but even still I don't think its a bad setup if you already own it. I just think that in current day you can get better options for a similar price. Also, if you love Dave, rossini is the easy upgrade. Direct linear upgrade to that sound but with more natural timber, better image placement (which is wild) and it slams like a freight train for some reason

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #1,680 of 1,873
I wanted to say that the TT2 drives the Utopia excellently. The Riviera is meant to drive the soon to arrive Susvara.
Do you have any amp suggestion for the Utopia?

This depends what you are after tbh. For a massive ultra low level detail focused setup, egoista, DNA 7k one (can't remebr the name), and even just a quick silver are all veey good options. If you want to hear the slammiest thing to ever exist, mogwai se. My favorite combo so far though has been mz3. Leads to an extremely involving and fantastic sound without going too dry or slamming on stuff that realy shouldn't. Amazing amazing combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back