Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jan 17, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #1,306 of 1,566
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #1,307 of 1,566
No pics as of yet, just unboxed everything today. But the AIC-10, Tungsten and Susvara have landed. All hooked up and listening now. For the next week, will just be listening to these three in my system, without any comparison. When I have a bit more time, will grab some pics. Nothing lengthy, but will share little tid bits along the way until I can share more.

• Unlike my more recent demo of the Bakoon AMP-13R in my system, the AIC-10 reminds me of the same level of enjoyment with my own system. Started with my own Expanse just to test functionality, same deal as the Susvara previously in my system--loosely, again no drastic comparisons for now
  • The Susvara is still as enjoyable as ever, just immediate familiarity and enjoyability. Just a ton of overlap with the SGL Sr., and that's without even comparing them right now lol. My main goal this round will be 1) using the Susvara to help evaluate all of the amps on hand since I know it well and have had prior demos recently, and 2) whether or not it could make sense to have both the Shang Sr. and Sus--more to come on that later
  • The Tungsten is enjoyable. That's an immediate first reaction. No major issues or gaps and enjoyable. These are new to me and will certainly share more in time, pros and cons

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #1,308 of 1,566
No pics as of yet, just unboxed everything today. But the AIC-10, Tungsten and Susvara have landed. All hooked up and listening now. For the next week, will just be listening to these three in my system, without any comparison. When I have a bit more time, will grab some pics. Nothing lengthy, but will share little tid bits along the way until I can share more.

• Unlike my more recent demo of the Bakoon AMP-13R in my system, the AIC-10 reminds me of the same level of enjoyment with my own system. Started with my own Expanse just to test functionality, same deal as the Susvara previously in my system--loosely, again no drastic comparisons for now
  • The Susvara is still as enjoyable as ever, just immediate familiarity and enjoyability. Just a ton of overlap with the SGL Sr., and that's without even comparing them right now lol. My main goal this round will be 1) using the Susvara to help evaluate all of the amps on hand since I know it well and have had prior demos recently, and 2) whether or not it could make sense to have both the Shang Sr. and Sus--more to come on that later
  • The Tungsten is enjoyable. That's an immediate first reaction. No major issues or gaps and enjoyable. These are new to me and will certainly share more in time, pros and cons

wow, you have some meal to digest...

AIC and Susvara (now on my ears) remains unbeatable to me - note: tube rolling here (super simple, just one 12au7) has meaningful impact on sound -- highly recommend (lots of info on AIC thread)

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #1,309 of 1,566

AIC and Susvara (now on my ears) remains unbeatable to me - note: tube rolling here (super simple, just one 12au7) has meaningful impact on sound -- highly recommend (lots of info on AIC thread)

Agreed. I do think masskobo 465 may beat it (would need to try it with my own dac though) but nothing else I've heard would I say did anything more than match its tier. Plus even then, I'm so happy with my current chain that I just have no real desire to realy look into anything else.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #1,310 of 1,566

For sure. Definitely will spend as much time as possible with the system. Really looking forward to it.

Right now, the sound doesn't sound out of the realm of what I've tested the susvara with previously (Speaker amps listed below + EC/CFA3 combo), but I'll definitely carefully try to understand the nuanced differences between them--just the EC/CFA3, don't see a reason to do so with the speaker amps, just inconvenient when all these headphone amps can drive it. I do already really appreciate its versatility and tone already in combo with the Expanse/Susvara/Tungsten, plays very well with all three. It definitely sounds very good and in my system easily a highly refined, TOTL sound.

I only have a few basic 12au7 tubes on hand so I probably won't take the effort/time to tube roll, but it's good to know. Always good to hear the few instances where it really makes a meaningful impact on the sound.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #1,311 of 1,566
Random, but I really hate that during work, I can't really get into using headphones. It's really hard to do strategy work or type anything drawn out while having them on my head. Instead, I listen through my bluetooth speaker or my bookshelves (if I'm in my music room), which doesn't bother me at all. It's really weird and I wish it weren't the case lol. Even when I type up head-fi impressions that are longer in nature, I put the headphones down to focus lol

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #1,312 of 1,566
Random, but I really hate that during work, I can't really get into using headphones. It's really hard to do strategy work or type anything drawn out while having them on my head. Instead, I listen through my bluetooth speaker or my bookshelves (if I'm in my music room), which doesn't bother me at all. It's really weird and I wish it weren't the case lol. Even when I type up head-fi impressions that are longer in nature, I put the headphones down to focus lol
I'm the same way but I find Expanse to be the best work headphone and the one that bothers me the least, idk how much time you've spent trying that one while working. Something about its smooth presentation lets it fall in the background a bit better than some of my other headphones. Also simply turning volume down a few dB below your normal listening helps. Side bonus: Expanse blocks more outside sound than most open backs which is another good perk for working.

Also check out Flare Audio, they make ear inserts that reduce ear gain and make sounds less disturbing to your focus. Good for either headphones or speakers.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #1,313 of 1,566
Agreed. I do think masskobo 465 may beat it (would need to try it with my own dac though) but nothing else I've heard would I say did anything more than match its tier.

I tried them both side-by-side at CanJam SoCal and found the AIC much better with both the Susvara and Tungsten. The 465 is excellent, but I’m pretty sure I would be able to tell the difference in a blind test between it and any good 4-5K SS amp. The AIC hybrid design gives it the magic of SS tube gain stage with outstanding SS put stage. It’s immediately recognizable and so distinct with any AB test I do comparing to any other amp I have at hand.

I only have a few basic 12au7 tubes on hand so I probably won't take the effort/time to tube roll

The stock tube sounds great actually. But other than missing on how great it could sound, you’re also missing on significant tuning potential. For example, for those who like a very neutral and resolving presentation, the G73R is a great choice; for those looking for a warmer, richer and more holographic sound, the M8136 is perfect (my current roll).

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,314 of 1,566
I tried them both side-by-side at CanJam SoCal and found the AIC much better with both the Susvara and Tungsten. The 465 is excellent, but I’m pretty sure I would be able to tell the difference in a blind test between it and any good 4-5K SS amp. The AIC hybrid design gives it the magic of SS tube gain stage with outstanding SS put stage. It’s immediately recognizable and so distinct with any AB test I do comparing to any other amp I have at hand.
For me, it's most the fact that I thought it was in tye same realm as aic when it wad running off of a d90 gen1 tbh. Made me exceptionaly currious to see what it would do with a real dac

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #1,315 of 1,566
The stock tube sounds great actually. But other than missing on how great it could sound, you’re also missing on significant tuning potential. For example, for those who like a very neutral and resolving presentation, the G73R is a great choice; for those looking for a warmer, richer and more holographic sound, the M8136 is perfect (my current roll).
I sent him a 50s french made mazda that is a bit sweeter than the g73r but very similar overall technical level. Unfortunately my g73r is dead or I would have included that as well.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,316 of 1,566
I sent him a 50s french made mazda that is a bit sweeter than the g73r but very similar overall technical level. Unfortunately my g73r is dead or I would have included that as well.

Perhaps I should try a Mazda.. is it in between the g73r and mullard?

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #1,317 of 1,566
Perhaps I should try a Mazda.. is it in between the g73r and mullard?
I would say it's kinda the 3rd point of the triangle. More sweet than either warm or neutral. It us between the two incision wise though

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #1,318 of 1,566
I would say it's kinda the 3rd point of the triangle. More sweet than either warm or neutral. It us between the two incision wise though

I’ll chase one down.. any variations here to be aware off?

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,319 of 1,566
I’ll chase one down.. any variations here to be aware off?
Not that I'm aware of. The French made mazda 12au7 I think was only made in one version fot like 3 or 4 years

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #1,320 of 1,566

I can't comment on whether it's at a similar technical level or whether it's sweeter than other tubes, but these two qualities are what I'm enjoying about the amp actually. Now I did break my rule and listen to the EC/CFA3 combo today in a non-comparison really (I usually am really good about giving it at least 3 days--you can see my thread history on that lol, but just couldn't help it lol).

For me it confirmed that they're in the same general playing field, but I can't say at all whether they're equal or if one is better, etc. Just didn't get to that. Enjoyed both for quite a while one after another, not extreme A/B test. Off the bat, with the sound I'm hearing, I much rather have one box that I feel ecstatic about. As appealing as it is in theory, I rather not use the EC/CFA as a combo, but that's neither here nor there.

But I'm so glad I tried it, and terrible news... one of my 300b tubes is going out. I got some extended time from first notice and it cut out later. Absolutely terrible timing lol. I'll quickly look for a replacement smh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back