Ringtones... What is this insanity all about??
Jun 3, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #76 of 94
Ah the difference with our gear is that it in most cases it doesnt bother anyone. Cell phones used with courtesy are ok but when they arent they are a freakin nuisance.

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Ah the difference with our gear is that it in most cases it doesnt bother anyone. Cell phones used with courtesy are ok but when they arent they are a freakin nuisance.

I agree. Of course, the miniscule rare chance that the crazy frog ringtone(or any pop singer's garbage for music) is being pumped through a pair of Grados at full volume + amp would be a nightmare, but somehow funnier than hell.

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I said something like "bloody hell the brass neck of some people"

Wow, welcome to America, or Japan five years ago was it?

Can't believe the thread is still alive and kicking: lotta people hate the cellphones. How about those roller packs that people use for pairplane bags? They are starting to permeate the non-air-bound folk and my buddy just told me that he is beginning to find them equally annoying as cellphones

I love the overseas slang and derogatory remarks btw: it's all cussing over here, nice change of pace.

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
Wow, welcome to America, or Japan five years ago was it?

About that much time, yep. I think color screen cellphones were hitting the Japanese market in 1998, and I remember watching Japanese News on the WB at 5 or 6 in the morning all the time('cause I loved that program, strangely enough) when the first cellphones with cameras built-in came around, and it wasn't much longer than that when Japanese News was cancelled
frown.gif

Oh well, my brain is saturated with other distractions. Front Mission: Gun Hazard, you are a true friend on my ZSNES emulator!
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #80 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
A 50 yard "candy throw" is a pretty hit or miss situation I could have taken out the store manager by mistake..... If the guy had been in range I probably would have taken him out with a "magazine slap" on the back of the head.

Really?! Man, when I get candy, I can hit anyone within at least sixty yards, right in the back of the head, and it will send them flying....
Especially when I get one of those jumbo size M and M bags, damn those are deadly.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #81 of 94
I always make it a point to find the most phone-like sounding ringtone (which is difficult now adays, as most come pre-loaded with 50 or so crap ones you have to wade through), and use it. Either, that, or an alarm clock sound; you know, 'beep beep beep beep'...

I've heard the argument that using a custom ringtone lets people 'stand out in a crowd'. Ha. They're all using the same ones, so how do you know? By using the oldest and most boring one, I never have to wonder if my phone is ringing or not.

The only ringtone I ever heard that I actually liked was the NES Super Mario Brothers theme. That's just cool.

Other than that, I recall when polyphonic ring tones were first making headway, I composed the opening bars of Metallica's _Creeping Death_ on a phone. Sounded like crap, but it was cool, man.

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #82 of 94
I love animal sounds as a ringtone, but I'm too ashamed to use them anyway.
biggrin.gif

Cow
I prefer using the vibration alert when in public. And of course I have never paid for a ringtone and I never will.

Jun 4, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #83 of 94
I have quite a few ringtones on my cell phone, but I never paid for one of them. And no top-40 ringtones either, just some older metal songs (about 4, to know whether I should take the call or not), the MIDI music from the first level of Doom, and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" (for voicemail).

As for text messaging, its only reasonable usage is very loud enviornments where you can't hear the phone (concerts, for example) and in class. High school students probably send 95% of all text messages in the United States.

Jun 4, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #84 of 94
If I were to dismiss cell phones as hateful, I'd be guilty of hypocrisy, since I love nothing more than doing three things at once. The issue is not the instrument but the people who play it in public without having practiced.

Realizing a Bach fugue sensitively requires attention to three or more lines at once (unless you've chosen the two-part fugue in e). Walking across a crowded street while talking on a cell phone is similar: you must eyeball signs, traffic and other visual information, keep your conversation coherent while listening to the sounds around you, and mind the tempo of the crowd, lest you block some foont unnecessarily. Using a cell at a checkout counter efficiently seems complex as well, since the math ritual, spatial logistics, queue etiquette and private conversation require distinctly different responses.

Bad musicians and cell phone schlemiels seem to share the same problem: They want to be noticed but listen only to themselves. Better to be awake and aware than distracted by a simplistic nasal exchange. A conscious person should experience time fully instead of finding ways to snuff it.

Mp3 players, PDAs, wristwatch televisions and portable game consoles: All have their place. All have the potential to turn narcissists into snoozing strolling stiffs.

The best thing about power blackouts is the temporary sense of immersion that follows citizens' initial panic: people who had sealed themselves in solipsistic gadget caskets awaken to find micro-detailed 3D figures interacting in real time: their embraces can be felt; they eat food that can actually be smelled. During a blackout, everyone becomes a non-virtual virtuoso.

Jun 4, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I always make it a point to find the most phone-like sounding ringtone (which is difficult now adays, as most come pre-loaded with 50 or so crap ones you have to wade through), and use it.

I've heard the argument that using a custom ringtone lets people 'stand out in a crowd'. Ha. They're all using the same ones, so how do you know? By using the oldest and most boring one, I never have to wonder if my phone is ringing or not.

Cool -- I do exactly the same thing. In fact, I've gotten many compliments on it. "That's a really cool ring-tone! Where'd you get it?"

Seriously.

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #87 of 94
Meh, I feel your pain pinky, I just HATE to hear 5000 botched cellphone implementation of the most known classical pieces every time I go out in public. My cellphone is allways in silent mode, the built in vibrator thingy works perfectly.

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #88 of 94
Pink - that you for permitting me to participate in a ringtone rant. In the last year, I've heard the following:

Even when people try not to use their ringtones and attempt to silence their phones, they leave their phones on a table annoying buzzing away like a vibrator

Ringtones of various rap artists, that actually sound like dogs barking at each other

That stupid AT&T (now cingular) ringtone that is just plain boring

A ringtone of a much loved classical piece that I now can't listen to

Ringtones of an annoying, off-beat drum that makes me want to throw their phone in the coffee machine

Ringtones of cats in heat meowing, even thought the owner has no cats

And now, with all that, I use a turned-down sound of a star trek communicator for mine
icon10.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #89 of 94
IMO (haven't read through the whole thread though, be warned) Pinkie isn't seeing the forest through the trees.

What if someone uses a cool song? Like Carry On My Wayward Son? or Call of Cthulu? etc. Someone with good taste and a catchy ringtone, to me that's sexy.

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back