RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/headphones/tips Ranking list, Music list)
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #586 of 1,213
Bro, what does it mean "exotic driver"?
Non-DD/BA, like Planar, Piezo, EST, Magnetostats and more. :joy:

(its just what I call them, not an offical name or anything.)

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #587 of 1,213
Bro, what does it mean "exotic driver"?

Anything not dynamic or BA I guess and that would be electrostatic, magnetostatic, piezo and air motion transformer for those I'm aware of.

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #589 of 1,213
2020-01-08: Audioquest Nighthawks Carbon rank B+

Impressions:

First off, change the cable ASAP and banish the stock cable into a black hole. Absolutely horrible cable in every way possible...

It has a very unique sound. It has a dark treble and is very relaxing (actually a bit too dark for me).

Mids are recessed and vocals dont sound very natural.

Bass quantity is above neutral but not enough for me (The Sony 1AM2 has more quantity and is more to my taste).

Although the quality is pretty good, since it is quite tight and has good texture.

Technicalities are very impressive when you consider how dark it is.

Very big soundstage, although not like a real open back and is closer to a closed back (The NHC is a semi open headphone).

Instrument separation, imaging and details are all very good. But timbre is…. not good, it doesn’t sound natural with instruments or vocals.

I don’t rec this to you if:
  • This is one of your first headphones
  • You are an acoustic/vocal music listener
  • You are a Treble head or a basshead
I do rec this to you if:
  • You want a very relaxing and comfortable headphone
  • You listen to electronic music
  • You want a unique sound
With gaming it is a fun experience and with big soundstage and very impressive imaging, it works for competitive as well.

But I wouldn’t rec it for competitive gaming, since I would use a bright-neutral headphone for that.

I bought it for around 320 usd and will keep it as it is unique. But at the original MSRP of 700 usd, I will flat out say that it was massively overpriced and I would have crap on it a lot.

Some ranking changes:

KSC75 from B+ to B

HD 560S from B+ to B-

Some updates on what I have ordered. I bought the Audiosense DT100 and the T180. Also, currently interested in getting more tips.

Specifically:
Final Audio Type A
Final Audio Type B
Radius Deep Mount
Sony EP-TC50
Elecom EHP-CAP20

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #590 of 1,213
Judging from the hd560s and this graph:

I wont like the 600 at all. I am not sure where I am going with headphones really. But we see how it goes after I gotten the Nighthawks Carbon.
I would ask to not judge the HD600 based on this graph alone. It sounds nothing like the HD560S. Quite a lot different actually. Everyone should experience the HD600/650 IMO.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #591 of 1,213
I would ask to not judge the HD600 based on this graph alone. It sounds nothing like the HD560S. Quite a lot different actually. Everyone should experience the HD600/650 IMO.
Good to know. Although I kinda realized that I am probably just not a headphone guy, I just dont get as much enjoyment as with my iems.

If I do get another headphone, it probably be something else like the JVC HA-SS01.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #592 of 1,213
Although I kinda realized that I am probably just not a headphone guy, I just dont get as much enjoyment as with my iems.
This just means you haven't found the right headphones, yet. :D
Though I will admit that ever since you got me hooked on the IEM game I've used my full-sized headphones much less.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #593 of 1,213
This just means you haven't found the right headphones, yet. :D
Though I will admit that ever since you got me hooked on the IEM game I've used my full-sized headphones much less.
oh no, I spread the iem addiction to you as well. :joy:

Right now though, I will say that the JVC HA-MX100V is my endgame headphone. I could sell all my other headphones without much regret actually. Absolutely godly vocals/instruments on it.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #594 of 1,213
Good to know. Although I kinda realized that I am probably just not a headphone guy, I just dont get as much enjoyment as with my iems.
Ever since I was a kid, I always liked in-ear/ear buds much more than HPs. It was primarily due to bass, at least first. No matter how many times I have tried to like HPs, I just don’t like them nearly as much.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #595 of 1,213
@RikudouGoku, if you’re wanting to try more all-BA IEMs, for less than $50, you really should get the KZ BA10. It’s the most impressive KZ that I’ve heard so far, and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. It of course sounds quite different from the BL03, but it has a very similar intoxicating appeal, such that I just want to keep listening to it. It definitely has a fun sound, but also doesn‘t have really recessed mids. The timbral accuracy is not great, but it still just works for me, for what it is. The detail retrieval is quite extraordinary, especially for anything less than $100, and the bass has the really good speed of BAs, yet also has a lot of slam and rumble, more like a DD. The lower treble can be a little sharp at times but it’s not fatiguing. The upper mids are not shouty, and the upper treble is well extended.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #596 of 1,213
@RikudouGoku, if you’re wanting to try more all-BA IEMs, for less than $50, you really should get the KZ BA10. It’s the most impressive KZ that I’ve heard so far, and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. It of course sounds quite different from the BL03, but it has a very similar intoxicating appeal, such that I just want to keep listening to it. It definitely has a fun sound, but also doesn‘t have really recessed mids. The timbral accuracy is not great, but it still just works for me, for what it is. The detail retrieval is quite extraordinary, especially for anything less than $100, and the bass has the really good speed of BAs, yet also has a lot of slam and rumble, more like a DD. The lower treble can be a little sharp at times but it’s not fatiguing. The upper mids are not shouty, and the upper treble is well extended.

I've considered the BA10 in the past, but is it uncomfortable? With the square edges and larger size?

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #597 of 1,213
I've considered the BA10 in the past, but is it uncomfortable? With the square edges and larger size?
I usually don’t have issues with IEMs fitting, but these fit me well, and comfort hasn’t been an issue at all thus far. One may need to mess with various sizes of ear tips to adjust the depth at which they sit, to optimize comfort, but I haven’t had problems with deep or shallow fit.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #598 of 1,213
The BA bass from BA10 is diferent from DD bass ? I sell AS10 because i don't like the bass, although the sound signature was very good

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #599 of 1,213
You know...you did make me slightly interested in it over at the kz thread. But that shape...I cant do it. It looks bigger than the ZS6/7 and those are already stabbing my ears lol.

I have high hopes for the Audiosense DT100 though, hopefully that Knowles side-firing BA actually does something good and will be used more in future iems.

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #600 of 1,213
I have high hopes for the Audiosense DT100 though, hopefully that Knowles side-firing BA actually does something good and will be used more in future iems.

Considering how much it costs for only having a single BA, it better be good :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back