RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/headphones/tips Ranking list, Music list)
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,201 of 1,213
@RikudouGoku Have you had the chance to hear these? Probably one of the better iem's I've ever heard so far :)

graph (75).png

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,202 of 1,213
It's vented, though, if it matters. The Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite which you enjoyed wasn't even vented. But alright, you've made your choice. 😁

Are BA IEMs more susceptible to pressure buildup compared with other driver types?
If you are referring to this:
1702510150922.png

Then that will simply prevent the pressure from building up more and more it wont lower it to nothing like if it had a vent on the part that is in your ears like regular hybrids.

BA iems are indirectly more susceptible to pressure build up because BA drivers needs a good amount of seal to even sound decently good (leak intolerant). Which is why most of them dont have a single vent on it and the ones that do like the above will still not be anywhere near the comfort of non-BA iems.

@RikudouGoku Have you had the chance to hear these? Probably one of the better iem's I've ever heard so far :)

graph (75).png
Just saw that some days ago iirc and that thing costs around 800 usd.
https://www.taobao.com/list/item/732446008794.htm

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,203 of 1,213
I am not a fan of BA iems and cannot stand the pressure build up that they have.

Sony BAs are the exception for me.

As for unvented IEMs, just use foams to get rid of the pressure buildup.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,204 of 1,213
Sony BAs are the exception for me.
True, the Sony BAs used in their hybrids are exceptionally good. Dunno how they are without a DD though but I do expect I would like them.

As for unvented IEMs, just use foams to get rid of the pressure buildup.
Foams are also less comfortable than silicone tips for me. Unvented iems are just a no go for me.

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,205 of 1,213
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #1,206 of 1,213
1704063185739.png

Happy new year!

This has been a busy year for me since the launch of the Gen 3 Rikubuds lineup and I have dipped my toes back into the reviewing game a bit here and there as well. Now let us take a look at how my prediction from last year turned out.

”Now then, for my prediction for 2023: I expect that there will be brands that will focus on refining Planars, via new drivers and/or shell/acoustic tuning. While more competitors to the current KZ, Kinera and TRN budget planars should appear. The other major prediction I got is that we will see the rise of DSP usage to either complement their tuning or just tune it purely by DSP (we already got some DSP iems like the Moondrop Quarks DSP and upcoming ones like the Moondrop JIU and the Tanchjim Zero DSP). Although since DSP iems also mean you wont be able to use your owns sources, I only expect them to be in the budget range (at most up to 100 usd). A minor prediction is that we might be see some kilobuck iem using the new MEMS driver from xMEMS, maybe in combination with a DD woofer as I see them more like a tweeter driver than full-range (even though they are marketed at being a full range driver).”

• Planars: I say I got about half correct with this, as we now have highly praised planars like the Hidizs MP145 and the Letshuoer S12 pro for the refined planars. But as for budget planars from more brands than just KZ, TRN and Kinera, I do not really remember seeing anything more in the sub 100 usd market, although there have been releases from NiceHCK and Muse Hifi at the 100-150 usd range.
  • DSP: accurate although only from Moondrop and Tanchjim since they released a specific cable with DSP functions and also the Moondrop May which is a higher tier iem over the last years Quarks DSP.
  • xMEMS: very accurate, we got the Soranik MEMS-2 sitting at 1 200 usd, Noble Audio XM-1 at 700 usd and even the relatively cheap Creative Aurvana Ace & Ace 2 at 130/150 usd. With the XM-1 and the Aurvana Aces being TWS and using the xMEMS drivers as tweeters alongside a DD woofer.

Predictions for 2024:

• Bone Conduction: We have already started to see this after the second half of 2023 from the likes of BQEYZ Wind, TRN/CVJ Konoka/Assassin to the Kinera Imperial Loki. But I expect to see the rise of the LRA (Linear Resonant Actuator) type of BC drivers (akin to haptic feedback) being the next driver type to be in the hype train in 2024.
  • xMEMS: We should (hopefully) be seeing more iems/tws being released with xMemes drivers in them at a relatively affordable price (sub 500 usd or perhaps sub 300 usd). Perhaps first from more mainstream/bigger companies than smaller chifi ones as the bigger brands will likely have more funds to spend on R&D, although I do doubt we will see huge brands like Samsung/Sennheiser/Apple be one of the early adopters of it since they likely want to take their time with their R&D if they are interested at all to use them.
  • DSP: I believe we will not really see much use of DSP from other brands than Moondrop/Tanchjim since it is reliant on software as well which is something that is usually lacking from Chifi companies. At best, perhaps Fiio will join the competition since they do have more experience working with products needing software expertise.

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,207 of 1,213
2024-01-06: Kiwi Ears Forteza
20231225_164610.JPG

20231225_164714.JPG

20231225_164820.JPG

20231225_165037.JPG

20231225_165159.JPG

20231225_165911.JPG

20231225_165931.JPG

20231225_170001.JPG

20231225_170019.JPG

20231225_170041.JPG

20231225_170102.JPG

Non-sound: Shell size is average, but comfort is not good for me because of the wing it has (wings do not work well for my ears) and it also has pressure build up due to not having a vent near the nozzle side of the shell, there is a small vent near the 2pin connector to prevent driver flex but that does not alleviate pressure to me. Nozzle is pretty big at around 6mm wide, no lip on it although it gets a bit larger at the end of the tip at around 6.8mm, so smaller tips will not fit it. Cable is not as good looking (IMO) as other iems in this price range nowadays. Just a side note; the dual DD setup in this is basically the same as the one used in the Moondrop Blessing 3 and the JH Audio Jolene.

Sound: In stock, it is a a pretty big V-shaped tonality due to the recessed mids on it but the bass itself is not elevated that much as you would expect from the graph (due to the treble blasting all over it) and it is kinda akin to BA-bass in its nature (fast attack and decay and tight) although with pretty good texture, neither is there a lot of treble air. The 2-8k area is elevated a lot and is very bright (a bit too much for me). Overall it just ends up sounding like an iem with recessed mids alongside being very bright but without air alongside the pressure build up with the shell itself, so I do not recommend this. Unless you mod it.

graph (83).png

In which case…

Kiwi Ears Forteza (4x2.5mm low density foam in BA bore)Blon Z300
Sub-bass+-
Mid-bass+-
Lower-mids==
Upper-mids-+
Treble-+
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging+-
Separation+-
Macro-detail+-
Micro-detail+-
Timbre-+
graph (84).png

Bass on the Forteza stomps the Z300 pretty damn hard, a LOT more texture and better extension while having a bit more quantity to it and at the same time being faster/tighter and quite a bit cleaner bass than the slower/bloatier Z300 bass. Male vocals are a lot more recessed on the Forteza than the Z300 but more detailed and cleaner and with better tonality (Z300 is better if you want more quantity but quality is better on the Forteza). Better timbre and tonality on the Z300 and not recessed like the Forteza. Treble is a lot airier, cleaner and brighter on the Z300 while the Forteza is kinda dark in comparison. Technicalities are a step up on the Forteza except for the stage which is pretty small and not as good timbre as the Z300. If you prefer a more balanced iem, the Z300 will be better. But if you want a dark-ish and relaxing upper-mids/treble alongide a bass boost but with fast/tight bass, the Forteza will be better.

Kiwi Ears Forteza (4x2.5mm low density foam in BA bore)Simgot EA500 (red nozzle)
Sub-bass+-
Mid-bass+-
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids-+
Treble==
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation-+
Macro-detail-+
Micro-detail-+
Timbre-+
graph (85).png

Sub-bass is a LOT more elevated on the Forteza, extends lower and rumbles a LOT more with more texture. Mid-bass quantity is perceived as higher on the Forteza since it has a LOT more texture there and is a bit tighter, although a bit slower than the EA500 bass and is less clean. Overall a lot better bass to my preferences on the Forteza. Male and female vocals on the other hand sucks on the Forteza compared to the EA500, a LOT more recessed and not as detailed and clean as the EA500 and with worse timbre and tonality. A LOT more air in the upper-treble on the EA500 and a lot brighter treble on it as well with a lot more detail, although it is not as relaxing/fatigue free as the Forteza and can be peaky/fatiguing on the EA500. Technicalities are a lot better on the EA500 due to the much brighter tonality compared to the darker Forteza and EA500 has the better timbre. If you want a more natural or more versatile/balanced set the EA500 is the better set, but if you want more bass and a more relaxing/fatigue-free tuning then the Forteza will be more suitable.

Kiwi Ears Forteza (4x2.5mm low density foam in BA bore)ThieAudio Hype 2
Sub-bass-+
Mid-bass==
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids-+
Treble-+
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation-+
Macro-detail-+
Micro-detail-+
Timbre+-
graph (86).png

Sub-bass rumbles a lot more on the Forteza but extension is a bit better on the H2 along with being a bit more textured. Mid-bass is cleaner on the H2 as it is tighter and faster, and does not have as much quantity as the Forteza but texture is quite similar. Male vocals have a thicker note-weight and a lot warmer on the Forteza so suits some tracks (R&B/hip-hop for example) but is less versatile than the much cleaner/detailed H2 and H2 does not have the recessed vocals the Forteza has. Female vocals are a lot more tonally correct on the H2 due to the brighter tonality and more forward vocals along with being much cleaner/detailed, although timbre is a bit better on the Forteza. Treble is a LOT airier on the H2 and much more detailed and cleaner due to the brighter tonality compared to the darker and smoother Forteza. Technicalities are leagues ahead on the H2, although timbre is slightly better on the Forteza. Overall the Forteza is only really matching the H2 in the bass aspect while the other factors are clearly outclassed by the H2. Tonally speaking H2 is a more versatile iem, although if you prefer more bass along with a darker/smoother treble then the Forteza will be more suitable for you.

Conclusion: The Forteza is a hidden gem that needs to be polished (modded) for it to not be an iem that misses all its marks. But afterwards, it is a damn good set that is aimed at the niche suited for people that want a dark set while having powerful and textured bass that is not loose/slow as these iems tends to be (see the Final Audio E series) but decently fast/tight making it much cleaner overall while also being fun and relaxing. Which AFAIK is the only iem anywhere near its price range to do this so it is pretty much a default recommendation.

Stock rank: C+

Modded rank: A+

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,208 of 1,213
2024-01-13: Simgot EW200

20240104_184827.JPG

20240104_184952.JPG

20240104_185051.JPG

20240104_191439.JPG

20240104_191504.JPG

20240104_191522.JPG

20240104_191534.JPG

Non-sound: Comfortable shell due to the slightly smaller than average size and a good shape for my ears, has a good venting implementation with the inner vent and one near the 2pin connector which leads to no pressure issues. Cable is identical to the one in the EA500 except a different wire color, working chin-slider with plastic connectors/divider.
graph - 2024-01-13T173123.637.png

Comparisons:

Simgot EW200Simgot EA500 (red nozzle)
Sub-bass+-
Mid-bass==
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids+-
Treble-+
Upper-treble==
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation==
Macro-detail==
Micro-detail==
Timbre==
graph - 2024-01-13T222145.158.png

Sub-bass quantity is a bit higher than the EA500 and does rumble a bit more but extends a bit lower on the EA500. Mid-bass quantity is higher on the EA500 and does make it have a thicker sound compared to the thinner and cleaner EW200 but texture is comparable while the EW200 has a tighter bass. Male vocals are warmer tonally and thicker note-weight on the EA500 while the quantity is similar. Female vocals are a bit more forward on the EW200, brighter and cleaner sounding although can be a bit sharp sometimes where it is smoother on the EA500. Treble is brighter and airier on the EW200 but is a bit too much for me and it is peakier than the EA500 as well. Technicalities are similar as well as the timbre, although the stage is better on the EA500 as it does have some depth to it (and slightly better imaging) while the EW200 is pretty average. Overall, the EA500 is a bit more versatile but would suit genres like rock/metal more than the EW200 which does better in genres like classical/OST. Personally, I prefer the EA500 a bit more but the clear winner in value is obviously the EW200 as it is half the price of the EA500.

Simgot EW200Simgot EM6L
Sub-bass==
Mid-bass+-
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids-+
Treble-+
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation-+
Macro-detail-+
Micro-detail-+
Timbre+-
graph - 2024-01-13T222232.398.png

Sub-bass extends a bit lower on the EM6L but rumbles a bit more on the EW200, otherwise very similar. Mid-bass on the other hand has more texture in the EW200 and a bit more quantity while the EM6L has a faster decay to it. Male vocals are slightly warmer on the EW200 but a bit more forward and cleaner/more detailed on the EM6L. Female vocals are quite similar tonally but is a lot smoother on the EM6L and while the EW200 can be shouty and sharp, the EM6L is not. Treble is airier on the EM6L and slightly brighter than the EW200 but ends up less fatiguing due to how smooth it is compared to the peakier EW200. Technicalities are a step up on the EM6L although the timbre is better on the EW200. Overall, you could say that the EM6L is mostly a direct upgrade over the EW200 both being suited for the same library (OST/Classical, female vocal focused stuff) with the difference being that the EM6L is a lot smoother than the EW200 and the bass on the EW200 being a bit better overall.

Conclusion: The EW200 is very likely one of the best values iems you can get out there right now and would be an excellent recommendation for any newbies. It is however also not a special set that anyone that already has a large collection of iems needs to own.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #1,209 of 1,213
2024-01-13: Simgot EW200

20240104_184827.JPG
20240104_184952.JPG
20240104_185051.JPG
20240104_191439.JPG
20240104_191504.JPG
20240104_191522.JPG
20240104_191534.JPG
Non-sound: Comfortable shell due to the slightly smaller than average size and a good shape for my ears, has a good venting implementation with the inner vent and one near the 2pin connector which leads to no pressure issues. Cable is identical to the one in the EA500 except a different wire color, working chin-slider with plastic connectors/divider.
graph - 2024-01-13T173123.637.png
Comparisons:

Simgot EW200Simgot EA500 (red nozzle)
Sub-bass+-
Mid-bass==
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids+-
Treble-+
Upper-treble==
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation==
Macro-detail==
Micro-detail==
Timbre==
graph - 2024-01-13T222145.158.png
Sub-bass quantity is a bit higher than the EA500 and does rumble a bit more but extends a bit lower on the EA500. Mid-bass quantity is higher on the EA500 and does make it have a thicker sound compared to the thinner and cleaner EW200 but texture is comparable while the EW200 has a tighter bass. Male vocals are warmer tonally and thicker note-weight on the EA500 while the quantity is similar. Female vocals are a bit more forward on the EW200, brighter and cleaner sounding although can be a bit sharp sometimes where it is smoother on the EA500. Treble is brighter and airier on the EW200 but is a bit too much for me and it is peakier than the EA500 as well. Technicalities are similar as well as the timbre, although the stage is better on the EA500 as it does have some depth to it (and slightly better imaging) while the EW200 is pretty average. Overall, the EA500 is a bit more versatile but would suit genres like rock/metal more than the EW200 which does better in genres like classical/OST. Personally, I prefer the EA500 a bit more but the clear winner in value is obviously the EW200 as it is half the price of the EA500.

Simgot EW200Simgot EM6L
Sub-bass==
Mid-bass+-
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids-+
Treble-+
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation-+
Macro-detail-+
Micro-detail-+
Timbre+-
graph - 2024-01-13T222232.398.png
Sub-bass extends a bit lower on the EM6L but rumbles a bit more on the EW200, otherwise very similar. Mid-bass on the other hand has more texture in the EW200 and a bit more quantity while the EM6L has a faster decay to it. Male vocals are slightly warmer on the EW200 but a bit more forward and cleaner/more detailed on the EM6L. Female vocals are quite similar tonally but is a lot smoother on the EM6L and while the EW200 can be shouty and sharp, the EM6L is not. Treble is airier on the EM6L and slightly brighter than the EW200 but ends up less fatiguing due to how smooth it is compared to the peakier EW200. Technicalities are a step up on the EM6L although the timbre is better on the EW200. Overall, you could say that the EM6L is mostly a direct upgrade over the EW200 both being suited for the same library (OST/Classical, female vocal focused stuff) with the difference being that the EM6L is a lot smoother than the EW200 and the bass on the EW200 being a bit better overall.

Conclusion: The EW200 is very likely one of the best values iems you can get out there right now and would be an excellent recommendation for any newbies. It is however also not a special set that anyone that already has a large collection of iems needs to own.

Good review mate. Great to see you posting regularly again.

One question: what makes an IEM suitable for OST/Classical in your opinion?

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #1,210 of 1,213
Good review mate. Great to see you posting regularly again.
Thanks, i still consider myself semi-retired but do accept samples if they are interesting to me or if enough people beg me to try it. Like the Kiwi Ears Quintet I now have on the way. :joy:

One question: what makes an IEM suitable for OST/Classical in your opinion?
Generally, it be stuff that is on the brighter side and has a thinner note-weight. Compared to say, a warmer one with thick note-weight.
Example wise, as mentioned above, the EW200 is good for it while something like the Final Audio E lineup is not.

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,211 of 1,213
2024-02-05: Tangzu Tang Sancai Wide bore:
1707167007915.png

Similar to the narrow bore version except this has slightly more mids, a bit less bass but also smoothens out the treble and reduces it more in comparison. Very different from usual wide bore tips as they tend to increase treble.

If you have an iem with too much bass and too much treble quantity (or peaky) this works great. It can also be a great complement to an iem that already has super smooth treble, like the simgot em6l. The height is relatively short so can also work well for TWS iems.
As someone that usually do not like wide bore tips because of the treble increase, this is quite the special tip.

Kiwi Ears Quintet:
20240120_181114.JPG

20240120_181323.JPG

20240120_181400.JPG

20240120_181948.JPG

20240120_182013.JPG

20240120_182126.JPG

20240120_182143.JPG

Non-sound: The shell is pretty big and it has a wing, so it is not good comfort wise for me, along with the bad vent implementation (no inner vent) which leads to it having some pressure build up. 4-core cable has a working chin-slider with metal divider and connectors, a bit on the heavier side.

graph (6).png

Comparisons:
Kiwi Ears QuintetThieAudio Hype 2
Sub-bass-+
Mid-bass-+
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids+-
Treble-+
Upper-treble+-
Soundstage==
Imaging+-
Separation==
Macro-detail==
Micro-detail+-
Timbre-+
graph (7).png

Sub-bass extends lower and rumbles a bit more on the H2. Mid-bass texture is better on the H2 and is tighter, similar speed and quantity though but cleaner sounding on the H2. Male vocal tonality is pretty similar but is cleaner and more forward on the H2. Female vocals are a bit brighter and very slightly thinner note-weight on the Quintet, although timbre is noticeably worse on it compared to the H2. Treble is a lot sparkier, airy, thinner note-weight and less smooth and a bit brighter on the Quintet, it is more energetic overall, I prefer the smoother/warmer H2 treble personally but quality wise they are similar. Stage is wider on the Quintet but deeper on the H2, a bit better imaging and micro-details on the Quintet. Better timbre and coherency on the H2, although the Quintet is not bad especially considering it has 4 different driver types (DD + BA + Planar + Piezo).

Kiwi Ears QuintetKiwi Ears Forteza (4x2.5mm low density foam in BA bore)
Sub-bass-+
Mid-bass-+
Lower-mids-+
Upper-mids+-
Treble==
Upper-treble+-
Soundstage==
Imaging+-
Separation+-
Macro-detail+-
Micro-detail+-
Timbre-+
graph (8).png

Sub-bass rumbles a ton more on the Forteza and extends a bit deeper. Mid-bass texture is a lot better on the Forteza and quantity is quite a bit more, although not as clean due to the slower/looser bass. Male vocals are more forward on the Quintet but a lot more natural on the Forteza due to the tonality (warmer and thicker note-weight) along with a more natural timbre, although the Quintet is cleaner. Female vocals are more forward, cleaner and more natural due to the tonality (brighter), timbre is still better on the Forteza though. Treble is very much an apple-to-oranges comparison as the Forteza is quite a bit darker and more relaxing/smoother compared to the brigher, airier and more energetic Quintet. Technicalities is a lot better on the Quintet, besides the stage which is a lot deeper and have a bit more of a 3d presentation on the Forteza compared to the wider and more 2d Quintet. Timbre (and coherency) is a lot better on the Forteza so overall is more natural. They are pretty much 2 completely different iems, so if you prefer brighter, leaner and more energetic sets the Quintet will be better, while if you prefer bassier, darker and smoother/relaxing sets the Forteza will be more suitable.

Kiwi Ears QuintetKiwi Ears Orchestra Lite
Sub-bass==
Mid-bass+-
Lower-mids+-
Upper-mids-+
Treble-+
Upper-treble-+
Soundstage-+
Imaging-+
Separation==
Macro-detail==
Micro-detail+-
Timbre-+
graph (9).png

Sub-bass rumbles a bit more on the Quintet and extends a bit lower but texture and speed are similar while it is a bit tighter on the Quintet. Mid-bass speed is faster on the Orc but similar tightness while texture is slightly better on the Quintet and quantity is higher on the Quintet. Male vocals are a bit more forward on the Orc while note-weight is similar but it is a bit warmer on the Quintet and sounds a bit cleaner. Female vocals are a bit more forward and brighter on the Quintet but also have a thinner note-weight and does not sound as natural as the Orc. Treble is brighter on the quintet and has more energy and a bit thinner note-weight as well, they are somewhat similar in smoothness but the Orc ends up a bit less fatiguing and have a better tonal balance, coherency difference is quite apparent here with these 2 as the Quintet bass is thicker than the treble note-weight which is not the case with the Orc. Technicalities are similar except that the Orc has a much wider stage with better imaging along with more natural timbre overall and much better coherency. Overall, the Orc is the better tuned iem and with much better tonal balance overall. While the Quintet does have more (treble) energy and if you prefer something like that, then the quintet will be more suitable than the Orc, but other than that the Orc as a whole is much better than the quintet.

Overall: While the Quintet is tuned decently well, that is not really anything special in the iem world nowadays and I honestly do not find it to be anything special and even their own lineup beats it. I do not recommend this.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,213 of 1,213
The IMR Rah 2023 is a great iem using dd+planar. It's one of my favorites of all time.
Will never get a product from those scammers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back