RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/headphones/tips Ranking list, Music list)
Dec 5, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #556 of 1,213
Weird comparison, but i have no idea what quality earbuds sound like in comparison to IEMs-- there's a New years sale starts in 1 day on aliexpress that will drop the Viridis to $76. How does the viridis compare to the FH3 in terms of sound quality? I have the ER2XR, so I'm looking for something for more casual listening

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #557 of 1,213
Weird comparison, but i have no idea what quality earbuds sound like in comparison to IEMs-- there's a New years sale starts in 1 day on aliexpress that will drop the Viridis to $76. How does the viridis compare to the FH3 in terms of sound quality? I have the ER2XR, so I'm looking for something for more casual listening
They are like polar opposites in tuning and also a very big apple-to-oranges comparison.

I prefer the FH3 a lot more than the viridis, but I prefer iem over earbuds too.

It depends on your library, for mine the FH3 is superior except for the acoustic/vocal focused ones where the Viridis shines.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #558 of 1,213
They are like polar opposites in tuning and also a very big apple-to-oranges comparison.

I prefer the FH3 a lot more than the viridis, but I prefer iem over earbuds too.

It depends on your library, for mine the FH3 is superior except for the acoustic/vocal focused ones where the Viridis shines.
Darn,
Hope you weren't going to say that since FH3 is almost double the price, but it sounds like the viridis would be a bit redundant with my er2xr.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #559 of 1,213
Darn,
Hope you weren't going to say that since FH3 is almost double the price, but it sounds like the viridis would be a bit redundant with my er2xr.
The ER2XR should sound closer to the FH3 than the viridis though. (since they are both iems)

graph (1).png

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #560 of 1,213
Sounds like maybe I should by the X6. RW-9 are the buds I use most often, but I get what you mean about the bass tuning.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #561 of 1,213
Sounds like maybe I should by the X6. RW-9 are the buds I use most often, but I get what you mean about the bass tuning.
I love them and they are pretty cheap. I dont like the cable though...it feels very rubbery. :sob:

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #562 of 1,213
2020-12-08: Sony XBA-N3 review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#item-review-24882

They removed 1 out of 2 BA´s, made the DD smaller from 16 to 9mm on the Z5 and yet it sounds better and with a better tuning. A masterpiece from Sony. Better get it sooner rather than later if it really is discontinued. Now the biggest question is...where do N3 lovers go next? Sony pretty much forces us to look at the Z1R with no other iem in between lol. :joy:

Although I am currently looking at the JVC HA-MX100V headphones...

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #563 of 1,213
Pulled the trigger on the JVC HA-MX100V. :joy:

Hope they are as good as the few posts on them indicate.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #564 of 1,213
Oh man, @RikudouGoku ... you weren't joking about that X6. Great earbuds. They've got bass and clarity that's incredible for something that price. I snagged a pair of RW9 now too, before they run out of stock.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #565 of 1,213
Oh man, @RikudouGoku ... you weren't joking about that X6. Great earbuds. They've got bass and clarity that's incredible for something that price. I snagged a pair of RW9 now too, before they run out of stock.
Glad you are enjoying them. It definitely put yincrow on my map. :smile:

It does kinda make you wonder how their more expensive buds like the RW1000/2000 sounds like if their budget buds are already so good. :thinking:

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #566 of 1,213
Glad you are enjoying them. It definitely put yincrow on my map. :smile:

It does kinda make you wonder how their more expensive buds like the RW1000/2000 sounds like if their budget buds are already so good. :thinking:

I do wonder. I would hope it's just better build quality, better resolution, and better treble extension. But, I'm afraid they would try to create some "audiophile" tuning and steer away from that lovely warm but wide open tuning I love so much in earbuds. Then again, the BK2 doesn't have that tuning, and it's still quite impressive. I think I'll have to roll the dice on some higher end buds one of these days.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #567 of 1,213
I do wonder. I would hope it's just better build quality, better resolution, and better treble extension. But, I'm afraid they would try to create some "audiophile" tuning and steer away from that lovely warm but wide open tuning I love so much in earbuds. Then again, the BK2 doesn't have that tuning, and it's still quite impressive. I think I'll have to roll the dice on some higher end buds one of these days.
Yes, that is what I suspect as well. increasing the treble and perhaps lowering the bass to achieve better "details". Then again, if a 10 usd bud like the X6 is that good. It might be better to just enjoy it and if you want a step up, perhaps getting headphones will be a bigger upgrade.

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #568 of 1,213
2020-12-09: Sennheiser HD 560S rank B+

Setup: Ibasso DX160 (high gain, volume around 46), stock cable (3.5mm), stock pads

Tonality wise they are very bright (a bit toobright for my vocal tracks) and are a bit shouty.
Vocals are leaning towards female vocals and male vocals do lack some warmth and is on the thinner side overall.
Very little bass rumble and extension is just ok, both sub/mid-bass quantity is very even but not a lot of quantiy.
So the tonality isnt what I prefer.

Fortunately the quality across the entire range is very good. Very clean (tight/fast) bass, high quality vocals and very good treble extension.
Soundstage is huge as expected from an open-back as are the instrument separation, imaging and details. Timbre does get bottlenecked by the too bright tonality but is still good.

Build wise it is entirely plastic (good quality) but is also why it is very lightweight. Isolation is poor as one would expect from an open-back.
The pads (and the inside of the headband) are using velour. Which I dont like because they make my skin itch and gets hot after a while

The cable is non-removable but the biggest issue I have with it is the stupid 6.35mm jack on it.
Usually you get a 3.5mm cable with a small adapter that you can screw on it to get 6.35mm.
But on this one, the adapter is very long and bulky and I believe sennheiser made this to be more portable and yet that adapter is such a bad way for portable use that they are really shooting themselves in the foot.

I will mention that I wont rec this at all for portable use, if you dont have something as powerful as the Ibasso DX160 at least.
Because It does sound better on my JDS Atom amp. (not being able to use the balanced port in my DX160 is a big hit to its portability and you cant change the cable either.)

Personally this is my current gaming setup (with the Antlion Modmic attached on it) and it is perfect for it.

EDIT: cable is removable, it was a locking mechanism...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #569 of 1,213
2020-12-09: Sennheiser HD 560S rank B+

Setup: Ibasso DX160 (high gain, volume around 46), stock cable (3.5mm), stock pads

Tonality wise they are very bright (a bit toobright for my vocal tracks) and are a bit shouty.
Vocals are leaning towards female vocals and male vocals do lack some warmth and is on the thinner side overall.
Very little bass rumble and extension is just ok, both sub/mid-bass quantity is very even but not a lot of quantiy.
So the tonality isnt what I prefer.

Fortunately the quality across the entire range is very good. Very clean (tight/fast) bass, high quality vocals and very good treble extension.
Soundstage is huge as expected from an open-back as are the instrument separation, imaging and details. Timbre does get bottlenecked by the too bright tonality but is still good.

Build wise it is entirely plastic (good quality) but is also why it is very lightweight. Isolation is poor as one would expect from an open-back.
The pads (and the inside of the headband) are using velour. Which I dont like because they make my skin itch and gets hot after a while

The cable is non-removable but the biggest issue I have with it is the stupid 6.35mm jack on it.
Usually you get a 3.5mm cable with a small adapter that you can screw on it to get 6.35mm.
But on this one, the adapter is very long and bulky and I believe sennheiser made this to be more portable and yet that adapter is such a bad way for portable use that they are really shooting themselves in the foot.

I will mention that I wont rec this at all for portable use, if you dont have something as powerful as the Ibasso DX160 at least.
Because It does sound better on my JDS Atom amp. (not being able to use the balanced port in my DX160 is a big hit to its portability and you cant change the cable either.)

Personally this is my current gaming setup (with the Antlion Modmic attached on it) and it is perfect for it.

EDIT: cable is removable, it was a locking mechanism...
Hi,
I think you are one of the best reviewer, Son 😎.
How are their technicalities compared to lz A7?

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #570 of 1,213
Hi,
I think you are one of the best reviewer, Son 😎.
How are their technicalities compared to lz A7?
Thank you very much.

Soundstage, instrument separation and imaging are better on the HD 560S (the low bass quantity and high treble quantity will give it an advantage).

While details and timbre is better on the A7. The naturality on the HD 560S is bottlenecked a lot by its tonality being too bright and shouty to me.

If you are planing to game with one of these, I recommend the HD 560S over the A7. But for music I enjoy the A7 much more.

(A7 = red pop, low gain Ibasso DX160) (HD 560S = high gain Ibasso DX160)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back