Rhapsodio thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #1,247 of 2,203
I've had the Zombies for just over a week now, after an initial period of doubt, I am now totally in love with these works of art. I wasn't sure about the bass at first, not sure if it's brain or the DD burning in but it's not as boomy now and settled nicely, it has a lovely detail and texture with great layering, plus you really feel it! I'm following runs on the bass that I've previously missed. The mids are extremely engaging (again, picking up little details I hadn't heard before) and the treble although not overly prominent, has just enough detailed presence to keep the rhythm moving; nicely smooth with no sibilance whatsoever unless it's in the track.

The whole spectrum of frequencies are incredibly cohesive. It has a lovely warmth about it that makes everything sound so natural without sacrificing detail and timbre sounds spot on. The sound is incredibly dynamic and pulls you into the music and just won't let go. The stage is very wide with lovely depth, imaging is great as is seperation. It's a musical masterpiece!

They have wonderful synergy with the WM1Z and EA Lionheart cable. Audio heaven right there!

I've had some great IEMs up until now including the Andros, Prophile-8, S-EM9 and Oriolus Mk2 but these babies outdo them all IMO. You've made something very special here Rhapsodio and I hope more people get to hear them :).

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,248 of 2,203
I've had the Zombies for just over a week now, after an initial period of doubt, I am now totally in love with these works of art. I wasn't sure about the bass at first, not sure if it's brain or the DD burning in but it's not as boomy now and settled nicely, it has a lovely detail and texture with great layering, plus you really feel it! I'm following runs on the bass that I've previously missed. The mids are extremely engaging (again, picking up little details I hadn't heard before) and the treble although not overly prominent, has just enough detailed presence to keep the rhythm moving; nicely smooth with no sibilance whatsoever unless it's in the track.

The whole spectrum of frequencies are incredibly cohesive. It has a lovely warmth about it that makes everything sound so natural without sacrificing detail and timbre sounds spot on. The sound is incredibly dynamic and pulls you into the music and just won't let go. The stage is very wide with lovely depth, imaging is great as is seperation. It's a musical masterpiece!

They have wonderful synergy with the WM1Z and EA Lionheart cable. Audio heaven right there!

I've had some great IEMs up until now including the Andros, Prophile-8, S-EM9 and Oriolus Mk2 but these babies outdo them all IMO. You've made something very special here Rhapsodio and I hope more people get to hear them :).

Really happy to read your revised impressions after the initial period of doubt. What you say echoes my feelings of them as well. I think part of the wonderful cohesion comes from these not having a crossover and just letting each driver do its thing. Sony took this approach a while back and I loved those IEMs.

While I'm here talking about the Zombies, I'll mention that initially I loved them with the RSD Silver mk3 cable since it sort of "cleaned" them up a bit. Sammy suggested the RSD Golden mk2, which I purchased and have been using since. The man knows his cables and IEMs because what I figured would be way too warm is actually turning out to be amazing. The Golden lifts the treble ever so slightly, while adding layers and texture to the bass that I didn't get with the RSD Silver mk3. Keep in mind all these differences are subtle, but I've landed on the Golden mk2 as the permanent solution for these. The Luna mk2 was somewhere in between the two cables I've mentioned, but neither had the magic of the Golden. And it's just so damn pretty! I'll have to take a photo.

-Collin-

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,249 of 2,203
Really happy to read your revised impressions after the initial period of doubt. What you say echoes my feelings of them as well. I think part of the wonderful cohesion comes from these not having a crossover and just letting each driver do its thing. Sony took this approach a while back and I loved those IEMs.

While I'm here talking about the Zombies, I'll mention that initially I loved them with the RSD Silver mk3 cable since it sort of "cleaned" them up a bit. Sammy suggested the RSD Golden mk2, which I purchased and have been using since. The man knows his cables and IEMs because what I figured would be way too warm is actually turning out to be amazing. The Golden lifts the treble ever so slightly, while adding layers and texture to the bass that I didn't get with the RSD Silver mk3. Keep in mind all these differences are subtle, but I've landed on the Golden mk2 as the permanent solution for these. The Luna mk2 was somewhere in between the two cables I've mentioned, but neither had the magic of the Golden. And it's just so damn pretty! I'll have to take a photo.

-Collin-

Hi Collin, thanks. Interesting to hear about the lack of crossover! I think I'm going to have to look into the Golden MK2 cable now. Do you know if they can they be made with a 4.4 plug?

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,250 of 2,203
Hi Collin, thanks. Interesting to hear about the lack of crossover! I think I'm going to have to look into the Golden MK2 cable now. Do you know if they can they be made with a 4.4 plug?

It's probably worth pinging Sammy on FB to ask, but I would assume so. Every time I've ordered a cable from Rhapsodio, I've been able to specify the plug I wanted.

Keep in mind the Golden is a beast of a cable - heavy, thick and it doesn't like to be rolled up. It would not be my first choice for any on-the-go type use, but the sound and sheer beauty of it make up for it :)

-Collin-

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,251 of 2,203
So, any new impressions on Saturn? I'm choosing between them and Periodic Be as a next step in DD IEMs :)

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,252 of 2,203
So, any new impressions on Saturn? I'm choosing between them and Periodic Be as a next step in DD IEMs :)
I sent the Saturn over to @ostewart a few days ago, so there will be more impressions to come.

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,253 of 2,203

I did about 50 hours of burn-in on mine and I'm getting along with them much better (along with a silver cable upgrade). They warm, lush and musical IEMs that provide a very relaxing sound signature. After burn-in, everything is a bit tighter and more balanced. I found them quite dark right out of the box, but overall still enjoyable. Typical dynamic driver bass and a very coherent sound obviously. They're a great choice in that price range, easily challenging the Lyra II in my opinion.

Took some photos this morning as I enjoyed my coffee with the Zombies and Golden mk2 cable.

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_20180128_080916.jpg

Happy Sunday!

-Collin-

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,254 of 2,203
I did about 50 hours of burn-in on mine and I'm getting along with them much better (along with a silver cable upgrade). They warm, lush and musical IEMs that provide a very relaxing sound signature. After burn-in, everything is a bit tighter and more balanced. I found them quite dark right out of the box, but overall still enjoyable. Typical dynamic driver bass and a very coherent sound obviously. They're a great choice in that price range, easily challenging the Lyra II in my opinion.

Took some photos this morning as I enjoyed my coffee with the Zombies and Golden mk2 cable.

Happy Sunday!

-Collin-
Great images! I love the intense colours that Sammy’s cables so often have. Will really need to look into buying one of them once things settle down.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,255 of 2,203
So, thanks to a fellow audiophile I' ve had a chance to listen to Saturn recently. Spent about a week with them actually. Here are some quick and totally subjective impressions. Saturn sound lush warm and fun. Bass is the king and it makes all the rock music to sound... well. more "rocky" (does such a word even exist?) It brings some additional life to otherwise constrain music such as Porcupine Tree or Radiohead. Mids are laid back. I mostly listen to BA iems and listening was quit an experience. Though Saturn's sound signature is v-shaped (at least for me) mids have good amount of details and are realyy really natural sounding. Saturn also have that unique DD quality of being cohesive. They represent the music as something integral and as a summ of separate sounds. Tremble is really good though it tends to go lost in lows. So yes classics need some hearing adjustments to be enjoyed with Saturn.
When compared to Periodic Be, Saturn seems to be really bassy and v-shaped. Be's midbass emphasis is much less prominent then Saturn's big bass. I have to say I like mids on Be better as they are more forward and retrieve even more detail in them.
Mine main issues with Saturn are sometimes extremely punchy bass and fit. On some rare tracks when there was a mix of accoustic and electric instruments drums hit too hard for my ears. Suddenly all those guitars and vocals become minor. The reall pain though is the fit. saturn's noses are really, really big. None of my own tips fit them. And the tips provided by Rhapsodio were kind of uncomfortable for me. Also something weird happened when I tried to fit Saturn properly. As I've mentioned above, most of the time I use BA iems. And the right thing with those is to put them into ypur ear as deep and loose as you can. Things go different with Saturn. I've managed to "vacuumize" them in my channels and suddenly sound just went away. There was just tiny bit of melody in my ears. I presume Saturn needs some air to work properly.
IMG_20180121_141603.jpg IMG_20180121_141727.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,256 of 2,203
What a nice comparison! May I ask how you'd compare the treble of Saturn vs Be? And which model would you personally prefer for jazz and electronica (we have lots of similarities in tastes regarding both jazz and trip hop)?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,257 of 2,203
What a nice comparison! May I ask how you'd compare the treble of Saturn vs Be? And which model would you personally prefer for Jazz and electronica (we have lots of similarities in tastes regarding both jazz and trip hop)?
I would say the Saturn's tremble has more sparkle compared to Be's.Be on the other hand delivers its tremble as more smooth and more forgiving to bad recordings. They are both quit good quality-wise and the choice really goes down to a source you use.
As for my own prefference i find Periodic Be a little more versatile. It may lack the big bass of the Saturn, but its presentation is a little more even overall. Please mind that currently I own neither of them and comparison was made in an audio-store. Overall I loved Saturn and really enjoyed my time with it. And that includes listening both jazz and trip-hop. It is just a little to much of a v-shape in its signature for my tastes.

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,258 of 2,203
Thanks a lot! I actually use iBasso DX80 which is neutral to a slightly warm, and has more or less relaxed tonality. So just not sure which pairing would potentially be better.

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,259 of 2,203
Thanks a lot! I actually use iBasso DX80 which is neutral to a slightly warm, and has more or less relaxed tonality. So just not sure which pairing would potentially be better.
It's being 2 years now since I've listened to Dx80. so it's really hard to give any advice. I remember though that Dx80 had kinda laid back mids for my ears. So if I had to blind pick I would go with Be as their mids seem to sound more forward. YMMV of course :wink:

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,260 of 2,203
Sounds interesting :) Another point with Saturn is that is has a detachable cable. Some opinions say that silver may slightly cool down the bass and improve clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back