RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Jan 6, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #587 of 1,127

I was not able to get the foams on the t20s and the t10is to compress long enough to put them in my ear. I would have rather have them include more variations of double or triple flanges instead of them (I would really like to know who out of all RHA users use the foams they include)

I couldn't get the RHA supplied foam tips anywhere near in my (very small) ear canals. Like others here, I could use the double flange ones only. I have bought Comply Tx200 and they have been okay so far.

However, as a novice to this... how tight should the comply tips be fitting for the right seal? Mine go in fine, and are relativity easy to pull out and don't seen to be too moulded out of their normal shape.

Plus, I bought the Tx tips as they were recommended to protect your earphones, does the extra membrane to block wax affect the sound?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #588 of 1,127

I was not able to get the foams on the t20s and the t10is to compress long enough to put them in my ear. I would have rather have them include more variations of double or triple flanges instead of them (I would really like to know who out of all RHA users use the foams they include)

It would have to be someone with enormous ear canals, frankly I'd be surprised if ANYONE is using them.  Even then they are so stiff, they would be incredibly uncomfortable.  They should swap the included foams for a pair of T200 Comply.   The T20 sound great with the included silicone tips, but they seem to mate particularly well with the Comply tips.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #589 of 1,127
  I couldn't get the RHA supplied foam tips anywhere near in my (very small) ear canals. Like others here, I could use the double flange ones only. I have bought Comply Tx200 and they have been okay so far.

However, as a novice to this... how tight should the comply tips be fitting for the right seal? Mine go in fine, and are relativity easy to pull out and don't seen to be too moulded out of their normal shape.

Plus, I bought the Tx tips as they were recommended to protect your earphones, does the extra membrane to block wax affect the sound?

You should be able to tell if you have a seal.  Outside sound should nearly disappear and you should be able to feel the isolation from the outside world.  They shouldn't be too hard to put in or take out if you have the rights size.  They should return to their original shape pretty much as soon as you remove them.  It sounds like you're getting a good seal from your description. 

As they age though the compression and returning to size won't be as quick or complete.  Then its time to replace or perhaps try to clean to remove the absorbed wax.  Most people claim the screen on the Tx tips do have some effect on the treble, generally muting it a bit.  The effect may be quite small or it may be noticeable - kind of like keeping or removing grill cloths from speakers.  There is no way that mesh is completely transparent.  I can't speak from experience as I always avoid the screened tips.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #590 of 1,127
I just purchased 3 pairs from amazon and they'll be here Thursday. I'll at least give them a try. A lot of people here recommend them. I'm hoping they work, otherwise I'm probably going to just return everything and start over. I had some of the older shure's that I used for years and may go back that route. I would rather have an easy comfortable fit than the hassle I'm having with the T20s.

Sent from my Moto X Pure

The Comply should work well (keep in mind they come in small, medium, and large).  I also struggled a bit with finding the right tips.  The double flange sealed, but as you experienced, were fiddly.  The best experience I had with silicone tips was using the Phonak PFE silicone tips (not available anymore unfortunately, I think).  Shure silicone tips can also be stretched to fit the T20.  I wouldn't give up on these too easily.  Tip rolling is often needed to get a comfortable and complete seal, and these are very rewarding once you get it.  (If you have some old Shure's laying around, their silicone tips are worth a try, the olive foamies are too narrow bore to really fit without modding).

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #591 of 1,127

The Comply should work well (keep in mind they come in small, medium, and large).  I also struggled a bit with finding the right tips.  The double flange sealed, but as you experienced, were fiddly.  The best experience I had with silicone tips was using the Phonak PFE silicone tips (not available anymore unfortunately, I think).  Shure silicone tips can also be stretched to fit the T20.  I wouldn't give up on these too easily.  Tip rolling is often needed to get a comfortable and complete seal, and these are very rewarding once you get it.  (If you have some old Shure's laying around, their silicone tips are worth a try, the olive foamies are too narrow bore to really fit without modding).

Well, this didn't work out too well.....
I tried this with the Shure silicone tips last night and it came off deep in my ear and I had to get it removed....
I had to stretch the Shure's over the T20 nozzle, so I thought it would be fine, but once it was fully inserted it popped off the nozzle and left me trying to find tweezers. Not a fun experience.... I guess I'll just wait for the Comply tips to get here. I ordered the S/M/L variety pack so hopefully one pair will fit well. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #592 of 1,127

You should be able to tell if you have a seal.  Outside sound should nearly disappear and you should be able to feel the isolation from the outside world.  They shouldn't be too hard to put in or take out if you have the rights size.  They should return to their original shape pretty much as soon as you remove them.  It sounds like you're getting a good seal from your description. 

As they age though the compression and returning to size won't be as quick or complete.  Then its time to replace or perhaps try to clean to remove the absorbed wax.  Most people claim the screen on the Tx tips do have some effect on the treble, generally muting it a bit.  The effect may be quite small or it may be noticeable - kind of like keeping or removing grill cloths from speakers.  There is no way that mesh is completely transparent.  I can't speak from experience as I always avoid the screened tips.

Thank you @dlayman Yes I think I am getting a good seal and the tip rolling before putting in makes a big difference too. I will go back and compare side by side with the double flanges that seem to fit me too and update on the difference.

Plus your notes on when to replace is very useful too, was thinking about how to spot when replacements were needed only this morning.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #593 of 1,127
  Well, this didn't work out too well.....
I tried this with the Shure silicone tips last night and it came off deep in my ear and I had to get it removed....
I had to stretch the Shure's over the T20 nozzle, so I thought it would be fine, but once it was fully inserted it popped off the nozzle and left me trying to find tweezers. Not a fun experience.... I guess I'll just wait for the Comply tips to get here. I ordered the S/M/L variety pack so hopefully one pair will fit well. 

Mmm, sorry about that.  I've had that happen a few times over the years even when using the tips that came with various IEM's.  It's not a real fun experience, but it happens.  Last time it happened to me I was at a gym, and had to get one of the trainers to get me tweezers from the first aid kit.  The T20 nozzle is kind of an odd size.  Its a little bigger than the small Shure, Audeo, Westone, etc. but smaller than most others.  There are other options out there too, Spinfit, etc.  No first-hand experience with them but a lot of people love them.  Not sure about sizing though.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #594 of 1,127

Mmm, sorry about that.  I've had that happen a few times over the years even when using the tips that came with various IEM's.  It's not a real fun experience, but it happens.  Last time it happened to me I was at a gym, and had to get one of the trainers to get me tweezers from the first aid kit.  The T20 nozzle is kind of an odd size.  Its a little bigger than the small Shure, Audeo, Westone, etc. but smaller than most others.  There are other options out there too, Spinfit, etc.  No first-hand experience with them but a lot of people love them.  Not sure about sizing though.

It's all good. It happens I suppose. Hopefully, the Comply's will solve all these problems and all will be good.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #595 of 1,127

for the 1st underlined portion:

they shouldn't be tight per say, as in they shouldn't really be noticed at all when wearing them (they apply a very gentle pressure against the ear canal) just enough so they don't pop out (so their stable) but if you say yank the earphones out (no they won't adhere much at all)

and for the second part

yes the extra membrane does affect the sound, GENERALLY (this is with my past experiences with the tx100 with my klipsch s4s) and my current experiences with the tx 400 on my dunu titan 3 and nuforce ne800m, they tend to reduce or shelve around the 4-6k region (this is not measured by any means, so take that comment with a grain of salt).

they do make the sound bassier (relatively speaking because they reduce this area) so if you find the rha t20s a bit harsh (this would take the edge off it)

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #596 of 1,127
  for the 1st underlined portion:

they shouldn't be tight per say, as in they shouldn't really be noticed at all when wearing them (they apply a very gentle pressure against the ear canal) just enough so they don't pop out (so their stable) but if you say yank the earphones out (no they won't adhere much at all)

and for the second part

yes the extra membrane does affect the sound, GENERALLY (this is with my past experiences with the tx100 with my klipsch s4s) and my current experiences with the tx 400 on my dunu titan 3 and nuforce ne800m, they tend to reduce or shelve around the 4-6k region (this is not measured by any means, so take that comment with a grain of salt).

they do make the sound bassier (relatively speaking because they reduce this area) so if you find the rha t20s a bit harsh (this would take the edge off it)

Thanks @Tom22 I really appreciate the advice. It seems like I have a very good fit and seal with the Comply Tx200 tips. They really help to make the earphone more secure, as this is the first time I have ever used over ear cables, it feels strange but getting used to it now. The over ear cables and mouldable hooks are very comfortable.

A lot of previous reviews of the RHA T20i refer to the remote being too high on the cable, I think I know why now. Using over ear cables and combined with a slightly heavy cable like this one, it really helps to draw the cable ring all the way up to under your throat. This helps keep the over ear hooks and cables closer to your head and really helps with less tugging and movement if wearing the cable running under a coat etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back