RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Jun 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,127

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
RHA is in the process of releasing a new IEM called the T20 and has started to send out review samples and tours. So I thought it would a good idea to have a new thread dedicated to impressions, reviews, and questions.

For those wondering what I am talking about here is a picture of the IEM and a link to RHA's website:

http://www.rha-audio.com/us/t20.html

Here are links to the original RHA announcements in the Sponsor Forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/765549/rha-t20-in-ear-headphone-featuring-dualcoil-driver-technology
http://www.head-fi.org/t/770875/rha-t20-tour-program-reviewers-wanted

I will post pictures of the new IEM as part of my review which I have just started to write, but suffice it to say it is VERY SIMILAR to the T10 series in physical design with small differences such as black cabling that feels to be very slightly thinner and lighter. Sound wise though it is not the same as the T10i as it sports a brand new dual voice coil technology driver that is much more resolving and is tuned to be closer to a balanced signature than the T10i. In my original review I suggested if the T10i was a pizza it would be an all meat pizza, using that analogy the T20 is a deluxe pizza in regards to signature.

I will post more impressions over the next couple of days as I start to prepare my review. For other reviewers and tour members feel free to add your comments. For anyone interested in the IEM post your questions and concerns and everyone involved will do their best to answer your questions.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 1,127
OK got home from work and was listening to Led Zeppelin No Quarter on my Pono using my Sony Z5 IEM's and thought, "hey let see how the T20 will do! So I grabbed them from the burn in station and my computer and fired them up.

Interesting results. I am using the reference filters on the T20 and the T20 was more midrange forward for vocals and guitars and had more shimmer in the cymbals than the Z5. Now I want to be clear I am not saying they are better than the Z5 because this is just one song in a genre that benefits from forward mids and more pronounced treble. But I was surprised by the differences I heard.

The next song kicked in and it was The Band The Shape I'm in, and I it was similarly brighter but I actually found myself wishing for the Z5's softer presentation.

From the limited sample size so far I have a feeling the T20 will be a borderline aggressive IEM.

BTW it is pretty darned efficient as I have the volume down to less than 1/4 of the Pono volume and they are plenty loud enough and very clear which leads me to suspect they will be an excellent low volume IEM.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 1,127
Gentlemen,

to get the discussion going, check out my review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-t20/reviews/13366

Am sure more and more reviews will be posted soon - so check the review section for it as well. There is already a healthy debate going on in the comments - I will try to move the discussion to this thread here :wink:

Tonight I am getting my 750s back so I can post some comparisons vs. T20 with it too.

Cheers,
K

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 1,127
@cyph3r Nozzle size comparison with a V-Sonic VSD2 (click on the photo to get a full res image):

Note: this is not the T20 but the identical shaped T10 - nozzles are identical though to the T20.

Sorry, didn't have any other in-ear handy...

Cheers,
K

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 1,127
@punit offered to let me use his Shure SE-846 and DITA The Answer for a comparison. I meet him this weekend so look forward to a comparison between some of the big guns and the T20 underdog.

Cheers,
K

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 1,127
I am doing my own underdog comparison between the Z5 and the T20. Surprisingly the T20 holds it's own for the most part sonically speaking. From a purely technical prowess perspective the Z5 wins as it goes deeper and extends higher with a bit more detail, better 3D imaging and larger sound stage. Beyond that it all comes down to personal preference in regards to signature and in that regard I think the T20 offers a more consumer friendly signature. I personally love the Z5 signature but I also know that aspects that make me love that signature would drive away a lot of other people. Sure it's bass goes deeper and harder but that alone is the kiss of death for many an audiophile, similarly I love it's relaxed take but for many this would be seen as a knock against the IEM versus a virtue. The T20 on the other hand while having bass that is a bit north of neutral (with the balanced filter) is more balanced appealing to the audiophile and is more aggressive which I think will appeal to more people. The T20 also has a more forward midrange and lower treble. The more aggressive nature does make it a more intimate sounding IEM but again for a lot of people I think they would appreciate that quality. For me I like both signatures as they give me options but I do lean towards the Z5 because I find it less fatiguing. But I LOVE having the ability to step it up a notch when I want to with the T20.

Build wise I think the T20 SPANKS the Z5 with it's simple rugged construction. It is also as comfortable as the Z5 while offering a bit better isolation and no wind noise issues and it looks WAYYY better while being worn. I embrace my nerdy look when wearing the Z5 because the sound justifies it. The T20 on the other hand looks as good as it sounds
ksc75smile.gif

Finally the T20 is a MUCH BETTER value proposition. While I love the Z5 I have to be the first to admit it's a fanatic fringe IEM that will suck a person down the audiophile rabbit hole faster and further than most people would care to go. Between the extremely high price of the IEM ($700) and the upgrade-itus it can cause (I just know that $120 cable will take to yet another level..., wait that fancy shmancy balance DAC/AMP or in my case Pono Player is a must!) can quickly eclipse the IEM purchase itself. In my case my obsession cost a cool $1300 when the dust settled. The T20 on the other hand is very efficient so while it will benefit from an amp will not be as much a temptation for most.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 1,127
  @cyph3r Nozzle size comparison with a V-Sonic VSD2 (click on the photo to get a full res image):

Note: this is not the T20 but the identical shaped T10 - nozzles are identical though to the T20.

Sorry, didn't have any other in-ear handy...

Cheers,
K

Thanks for the pics and the comparison! Looks like ca 4 mm diameter or so. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 1,127
Got my MA750 back - yeah. Will update my review of the T20 with a comparison to the 750 now as well.

Cheers,
K
Pic:
f46e3a32e54359b2936870ee427ba751.jpg

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 1,127
Great stuff koolpep

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 1,127
Quick first song comparison between T10 and T20. The T10 is using the treble filter the T20 is using the balanced filter. Both are played on my Pono player. The song is Rest by Beckah Shaw. This song has heavy electronic bass, strong female vocals and subtle drum kit work.

T10 - The bass is massive and over the top in a fun but exaggerated fashion. Vocals are pleasant but not very engaging as they lack the subtle nuances that convey emotion. Drum kit work lacks attack, decay, and air falling into the background.

T20 - Bass is not exaggerated but still has a fun strong presence. Vocals sound extremely vibrant and detailed, conveying strong emotional queues. The Drum kit works has lots of air, attack, decay and shimmer.

From this song the T20 easily separates itself from the T10 in every area from an audiophile perspective. The T10 on The other hand works if you simply want to have a massive bass experience and have issues with treble. I think a different way to put it would be the T10 has a club feel to it, the T20 has a concert feel to it.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 1,127
Hey,

I have updated my review with a comparison of the 750 vs. T20.

They are very similar. T20 is the 750 turned to 11.

Cheers,
K

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 1,127
2nd T10 T20 song comparison. Same configuration as last except from my LG G3 phone instead of my Pono.

Patricia Barber - Code Cool

T10 - Bass does not sound as exaggerated as last song, vocals have more emotion, treble is still muted on cymbal hits but not as severely. Piano has a nice thick presence that is very pleasing.

T20 - Bass sounds a bit leaner but is still satisfying. Every other aspect of the song sound clearer and more detailed. Vocals convey all of the emotion without tumbling into sibilance which can be an issue with Patricia Barber. Piano sounds thick but more detailed and complete at the same time. Cymbals are wonderfully complete and detailed with all of the decay and shimmer they should have.

The T10 has a slightly larger sound stage but more because it feels like your at the back of the venue while the T20 feels like your nearer the stage.

I did appreciate this song more in the T10 than I did the last selection but the T20 still outpaced the T10 from an audiophile perspective. But this song also shows where issues with treble sensitivity would start to separate which IEM a person might want. While I was fine with the T20 while listening I did feel a bit of ear fatigue afterwards.

I also noticed some improvements because I was using my LG G3 which appears to have better synergy with the T10 than my Pono did. This may be because the T10 actually does not always respond better to strongwe amplification, something I noted in my T10 review. The LG G3 is also a leaner sounding player which helps the T10 and would push the T20 closer to too much treble which would help account for the bit of ear fatigue I felt afterwards.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 1,127
I have received the T20 as well over the weekends.

Had a quick listen with the T20 without any burn in, and using the reference filters. First impression of the general sound is that it has an aggressive sound that is slightly U shaped, due to the slightly recessed mids.
Bass is hard, impactful and has excellent extension and texture, but is still well controlled and not very boom with little if any bleed into the midrange. Bass attack is fast, with a decay that is fairly natural. Mids are slightly recessed, yet detailed, with clear and airy sounding vocals. Treble is rather sparkly with excellent extension, just shy of sibilance with the silicon tips.

Burning it in now, have been doing so for about 20hours. Will update with more impressions with some specific tracks soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back