RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Dec 28, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #571 of 1,127
I'm thinking of getting the t20i soon. I recently got the klipsch x11i, but, I'm wanting more bass and lower ohms. Would the t20i be good with rock and indie rock? I am also looking at possibly the sure se425 or westone w30. But I'm not sure about those yet.

The T20i will give you a warmer sig with good bass. And if that is your preference, then it will do well with both Rock and Indie. I haven't heard the W30, but the SE425 is definitely not what you're looking for. It is a very neutral IEM with rolled off bass and treble

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #572 of 1,127
Thank you. With the klipsch x11i, there good, but for a company that's about rock, the bass and detail isn't technically as good as it could be. The t20 is what I'm planning on getting next then. But how about the sure se535? Would those be good as well (as a upgrade latter?) thanks
The T20i will give you a warmer sig with good bass. And if that is your preference, then it will do well with both Rock and Indie. I haven't heard the W30, but the SE425 is definitely not what you're looking for. It is a very neutral IEM with rolled off bass and treble

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #573 of 1,127
From what you've described to me - no. The 535 have wonderful bass - it is relatively flat bass though, but well-extended, fast, good texture. It isn't prominent though. The SE535 also has a lush full mid-range, but smooth highs which are a little rolled off.

You said you wanted more bass, and they will not deliver quantity.

Another IEM to consider might be the Fidue A81

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #574 of 1,127
Ok, so the t20i would be better then the se535? (Not meaning to repeat) I'm not wanting to really spend more then $300 right now.
Thanks
From what you've described to me - no. The 535 have wonderful bass - it is relatively flat bass though, but well-extended, fast, good texture. It isn't prominent though. The SE535 also has a lush full mid-range, but smooth highs which are a little rolled off.

You said you wanted more bass, and they will not deliver quantity.

Another IEM to consider might be the Fidue A81

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #575 of 1,127
For the signature you mentioned previously the T20i would be a better choice for you

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #577 of 1,127
I am trying to decide between the RHA T20 and ATH CKR 9/10, what do you guys think ?

They are roughly the same price wise ,atleast the price difference is negligible to me. I currently own the Shure215 and have been for a few years, they have unfortunately broken down on me and looking for a new set of IEMs, preferably a decent upgrade.

I prefer a warmer tone over a more clinical sound. I prefer a slight bass emphasis but not bloomy or uncontrolled. I also prefer strong vocals, (not too recessed, and not harsh sounding).

My prefered generes are metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc), and rock (ACDC for example), other than that I listen to pop & rnb mostly.

I was also looking at Westone UM 50 PRO and Shure 846, but decided against them because of their high price.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #578 of 1,127
Finally had a chance to audition the T20, it was very brief and in the apple store, but noticeable difference between the these and the T10... Very noticeable. I walked out wanting these. I enjoy the 2 songs I listened to.

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #579 of 1,127
I would not count myself as an audiophile or expert in reviewing or critiquing phones, but I love my music and I love listening to a good sound, so my choice of headphone is important to me.

I mainly listen when commuting on trains and tubes, and this means my source is also restricted to iPhone 6 as I want the convenience of one device only. (Although I have toyed with the idea of adding the beautiful looking Oppo HA2 but unsure if much difference is worth the price tag.)

For the last year I have been using B&O H6. I love them, the sound and feel of the headphone makes me smile and enjoy much loved albums all over again, but only when listening to them in a quiet environment.The H6 have poor isolation, poor sound leakage, and poor power when driven just from an iPhone 6. even if I bought an amp/dac too, the problems of poor isolation and leakage remain. So these problems add up to me sadly conceding my H6 are no good for my travelling listening needs, the outside noise just covers up all the intricate detail the H6 provide. I refuse to sell them, and will try to use them at home for pure enjoyment as much as I can.

So I decided IEM was the best way forward for me. My must have requirements were: sound quality, isolation, comfort and no leakage. My nice to have requirements were: in-line remote, style and design. This led me to a few options of quite different prices: RHA T20i, B&W C5 S2, and the upcoming Dunu 2002, and for various reasons discounted the Shures, Klipsch, Westone, Etymoticand Bose.

I read a lot about the Dunu range, focussing on the 2000J, but realised the newer range due out soon was better suited for me. The 2002 option would be not as heavy as the 2000J; a better ergonomic design, hopefully improved hybrid driver combinations too. I emailed Dunu to try to find out some detail on when these would be reviewed or released and received the following friendly reply:

"Hello Alex,

There won't be any DN-2002 released information lately, because we haven't decided the launch date, most probably on March or April next year, USA and UK simultaneously release.

Thanks for asking

Vivian" vivian@dunu-topsound.com

However, I decided against the Dunu 2002 because they don't exist yet, probably about £300 mark and may or may not be good. This meant my decision was easily the RHA T20i, made easier with the more understated (and I think better looking) all black versions available via Apple Store, and the excellent three year guarantee from RHA too.

As my wife contributed to part of the cost I was not allowed to see or try them until Christmas, so I had to join in with the seasonal customs of present giving and receiving before I could play with my new purchase. I did give them an initial listen to straight out of the box and like what I heard. Immediately noticed the superb isolation and they seemed to warm up very quickly.

I am not sure about the burning in need for in-ear phones, but gave them about 20 hours under a large cushion with a variety of music types. Not sure this made a huge difference, if anything the mids and highs have come out more as the bass seemed a tad boomy when listening straight out of the box.

My main worry about buying the T20i was comfort, not having used over ear loops previously, and I have annoyingly small ears and canals. So the wide range of ear tips reassured me somewhat, but only one pair out of 12 fitted in my small ears, which were the rubber double flanges. I have since bought the Comply isolation tx small tips and have used those for the first time today, which are still quite tight and will take a bit of getting used to.

For my requirement of comfort I like these so far. The new experience of over ear loops is made better with the easy to shape and comfortable ear hoops specially designed by RHA, the comply tips work well to keep it secure, and they do not feel too heavy at all. The cable is slightly heavy and bulky, and works better when held in place under a coat or on a clip, as walking with a bouncing wire certainly pulls a little.

For my requirement of sound quality, I like what I hear so far. I still need time to listen to various music styles and types, but listening to and hour of blues and folk this morning was very enjoyable. I like the balance these seem to provide, a very open clear range with just enough warmth to be an enjoyable sound. Will update more on this in a couple of weeks time.

For my requirement of isolation and no sound leakage, these are excellent. The Comply Tx tips add help to make the world 90% disappear, leaving just enough for me to hear traffic and other life saving sounds. Plus, the leakage seems non-existant; my wife had to put her ear next to my head in a quiet room whilst I listened at a mid to high volume to hear any leakage at all.

I also feel that my nice to have requirements have also been met, the style (especially in all black) is good; the design works well, and the three button remote works fine too (note: have not tested phone calls yet).

I would appreciate any comments or advice; especially regarding best ear tips to use with very small ears and canals.

And would love to hear any other new RHA T20i owners views too.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #580 of 1,127
So far, I'm really enjoying the sound of the T20's. The only problem I'm having is the fit. Out of all the tips they offer, none of them are great for me. I get the best seal with the large double flange tips, but they don't really stay in place well. It almost feels like they end up just sitting at the ear canal, but not in it. Does anyone have advice for different ear tips? I see a lot of people recommend the comply foam tips, I've never used them, but historically I have never liked foam tips. Comply may be different, though. The large double flange would be perfect if it was just a bit longer. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #581 of 1,127
  So far, I'm really enjoying the sound of the T20's. The only problem I'm having is the fit. Out of all the tips they offer, none of them are great for me. I get the best seal with the large double flange tips, but they don't really stay in place well. It almost feels like they end up just sitting at the ear canal, but not in it. Does anyone have advice for different ear tips? I see a lot of people recommend the comply foam tips, I've never used them, but historically I have never liked foam tips. Comply may be different, though. The large double flange would be perfect if it was just a bit longer. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Honestly, I suggest you try the Comply tips. They are not like the hard, uncomfortable (IMO) foam tips RHA supplies you with. The Comply foam tips are always recommended because they are soft, quite comfortable, and can fit most ears very well (roll/squeeze them before putting in your ear, and it will expand to fit your ear as you hold them in your ear). I like the T-200 (or Tx-200 if your ears are wax factories or dirty as hell). They're not too expensive either, at around $15-20 for a set of 3 pairs which typically lasts half a year or so for the whole set (depends on usage frequency).

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #582 of 1,127
Honestly, I suggest you try the Comply tips. They are not like the hard, uncomfortable (IMO) foam tips RHA supplies you with. The Comply foam tips are always recommended because they are soft, quite comfortable, and can fit most ears very well (roll/squeeze them before putting in your ear, and it will expand to fit your ear as you hold them in your ear). I like the T-200 (or Tx-200 if your ears are wax factories or dirty as hell). They're not too expensive either, at around $15-20 for a set of 3 pairs which typically lasts half a year or so for the whole set (depends on usage frequency).

I agree on the Complys. Also, you can buy Veritas tips on Amazon for about half the price of the comply tips. Those RHA foam tips are the worst I've ever seen, I can't imagine who could or would use them, they're huge and nearly as hard as a rock. Great IEM's though

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #583 of 1,127

I just purchased 3 pairs from amazon and they'll be here Thursday. I'll at least give them a try. A lot of people here recommend them. I'm hoping they work, otherwise I'm probably going to just return everything and start over. I had some of the older shure's that I used for years and may go back that route. I would rather have an easy comfortable fit than the hassle I'm having with the T20s.

Sent from my Moto X Pure

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #584 of 1,127

I agree on the Complys. Also, you can buy Veritas tips on Amazon for about half the price of the comply tips. Those RHA foam tips are the worst I've ever seen, I can't imagine who could or would use them, they're huge and nearly as hard as a rock. Great IEM's though

Yea the RHA ones are crap for sure! I ordered the comply to try them out. Even other foam tips I usually wasn't a fan of, but hopefully these are better. Otherwise the T20s are going back and I'm starting over. Thanks for you help!

Sent from my Moto X Pure

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #585 of 1,127

I was not able to get the foams on the t20s and the t10is to compress long enough to put them in my ear. I would have rather have them include more variations of double or triple flanges instead of them (I would really like to know who out of all RHA users use the foams they include)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back