RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Dec 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #541 of 1,127
  Thanks for the quick reply! If anyone is confused who the DN2000's came about, we had a prior, short, twitter conversation. It wasn't completely out of the blue! 

Anywho, I agree, I don't think the IE80's would work too well to for stage monitor use, even once in a while. I do like the design and shape of the T20's better. The remind me of typical in-ear monitor I've used in the past. 

You all are doing a good job at swaying me towards the T20's. 

Thanks!

given your asking in a T20 thread that may not be a surprise.  however.......

for all you want i think of the 3 it may be the best choice for your useage.  in fairness though, its not like the other two would be horrible disasters, all three are acoustic marvels with different pros and cons but each are fantasticaly capable and i dont imagine that if you wount with any of them youd be too displeased, they are all  a VERY BIG jump up on your S4's

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #542 of 1,127
thanks for the info Mark! You're right, I should expect to get swayed that way in the t20 thread. I asked the same question in the ie80 thread and they pointed me to the a73's. so, for whatever that's worth, they didn't even suggest the ie80! haha!

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #543 of 1,127
I just got these. Here are the few CON's which basically align to what mostly everyone else has said in this thread.

Cons:
The casing are too heavy, they might honestly not be worth the strength since I have never had my IEM cases break at that top case level. I normally have issues with strain reliefs and cabling, before the cases break so I question how worth it the stainless steel shells are. It is a great idea but is is it worth the weight in my ear I'm not sure.

Y Split too low on the cable. 

The "Patent Pending" strain relief and behind ear hooks don't really hold for me maybe because the cases are so heavy.

I'd prefer an L jack over straight jack (Jack is superb build quality though).

Bass still too strong IMHO I can't even imagine how bad the T10's were and trust me I'm more in favor of bass. I bought these for "V" signature, but I think it's just a bit overpowering if your driving from a good source.

The tuning screws really don't make any difference in low and and make a very subtle if any difference in the high end. I feel it should be left at reference middle level for everyone because bass is already a bit much so highs need to be turned up. I don't recommend ever using bass tuner.

I wish it had a slightly wider soundstage, but I think it comes down to personal preference.

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #544 of 1,127
  I just got these. Here are the few CON's which basically align to what mostly everyone else has said in this thread.

Cons:
The casing are too heavy, they might honestly not be worth the strength since I have never had my IEM cases break at that top case level. I normally have issues with strain reliefs and cabling, before the cases break so I question how worth it the stainless steel shells are. It is a great idea but is is it worth the weight in my ear I'm not sure.

Y Split too low on the cable. 

The "Patent Pending" strain relief and behind ear hooks don't really hold for me maybe because the cases are so heavy.

I'd prefer an L jack over straight jack (Jack is superb build quality though).

Bass still too strong IMHO I can't even imagine how bad the T10's were and trust me I'm more in favor of bass. I bought these for "V" signature, but I think it's just a bit overpowering if your driving from a good source.

The tuning screws really don't make any difference in low and and make a very subtle if any difference in the high end, I feel it should be left at reference middle level for everyone because bass is already a bit much so highs need to be turned up, I don't recommend ever using bass tuner.

What tips are you using?  Some people find the foam tips to accentuate the bass.   I don't find the bass overbearing at all, and I'm not a basshead.  Yes, the filter effects are very subtle.

Have you tried shaping the hooks to fit your ears better?  It should be possible to mold them such that they conform tightly to your ears, and negate the weightiness of the earpieces.  I honestly don't notice the weight at all and find these superbly comfortable.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #545 of 1,127
  What tips are you using?  Some people find the foam tips to accentuate the bass.   I don't find the bass overbearing at all, and I'm not a basshead.  Yes, the filter effects are very subtle.

Have you tried shaping the hooks to fit your ears better?  It should be possible to mold them such that they conform tightly to your ears, and negate the weightiness of the earpieces.  I honestly don't notice the weight at all and find these superbly comfortable.

I'm using M Silcone default tip that it comes with not the flanges or the foam. 

I like bass, but I still think its a bit much. T10 must have been terrible.

The hook doesn't really hold it's shape it sucks it should have just been a cable at that point. I do notice the weight it's not anything horrible but it feels strange compared to westone, vsonics, or any plastic design of similar nature. Maybe I'm just picky though after awhile I don't notice it much.

I'm comparing this to Westone 4's GR07's DUNU DN-2000's ASG 1.5 and other high level IEM's so I guess I'm picky.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #546 of 1,127

The hook doesn't really hold it's shape it sucks it should have just been a cable at that point. I do notice the weight it's not anything horrible but it feels strange compared to westone, vsonics, or any plastic design of similar nature. Maybe I'm just picky though after awhile I don't notice it much.

I'm comparing this to Westone 4's GR07's DUNU DN-2000's ASG 1.5 and other high level IEM's so I guess I'm picky.

compared to the gr07 (i think the cable stays behind the ear a bit better on the t20s) because of the memory wire,

I actually prefer it that its not too stiff (the memory wire) yes you could need to reform it occasionally) but its more comfortable then having a stiff metal wire behind your ear (may or may not cause irritation)

the t10s were and are definitely much bassier 

as stated in my review (or at least implied) those interested in the t10 (i feel anyway should skip over the t10 and go straight to the t20s)

theres not many reasons why i would pick the t10>t20 unless you really want that massive bass punch (build/comfort etc is all identical)

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #547 of 1,127

It sounds like you prefer a lighter bass presence based on the IEM's you enjoy.  I will agree the T20 have a slightly elevated bass, which I prefer. I can see, coming from your other IEM's where it might seem to be too much to you.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #548 of 1,127
Have you listened more to the x3ii and t20?

Sorry man. Been busy lately. Finally had some time to listen to the x3ii pairing. It drives the t20 just fine. I'm using high gain and my volume is set at about 40 - 45 in a pretty quiet environment.

One thing to note is that the pairing is smoother and less fatiguing, especially on the treble. The peaks that i found with the hugo seems less prominent now.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #549 of 1,127
Just want to share my experience with my T20. Got it as a free giveaway from local distributors during the , I put it on my ear without any expectations. Still remembered that T20 was quite to my liking when I tried it during the expo. So, I put it, using my smartphone as the source.

The heck I'm hearing. I played a song with drums opening. It was like placing your ears inside a tin can, and let drummer hit the tin can. I can't stand even one song, these T20 hurts my ears. I thought that it might be caused by my low tolerance to highs. But it was not. My friends tried them and can't believe it's a $ 249 earphone. I did not pay for it, but at that time, I regret having them, I almost sell them for $ 100

Initial impression:
Good separation
Terrible anything else 

I came to this forum and read about the burn-in. I was afraid to use pink noise or any other specific burn in methods. I just left them playing jazz, edm, dubstep all night long. I did this for one week. Still, I only notice minor changed. I thought that it was my brain adjusting to T20. I change to foam eartips and bass filter. It became bearable. Then, I tried Moshi buring app from Android Playstore. Selecting which noise is appropriate is hard. I read details about Moshi earphones, trying to pick the one most similar to T20. I pick Clarus, the one with similar frequency response and dual dynamic driver. The sound is frequency sweep, I burn T20 for 4 X 4 hours with 1 hour break.

After I finish the burn-in, the highs are not that sparkly anymore, more bearable, but it's still not that easy to listen. The worst thing: it became grainy. I almost gave up. Then, yesterday, miracle happened. It suddenly smoothen up. I need to change it back to reference filters because the bass one has became to bassy. I even change the tips back to silicone one. It's just hit the sweet spot. I started to doubt myself, thought that it's my ears. My friends tried them. One of them cried. No exxageration. I felt like Santa just sneak to my room, and change my T20 with something new. Can't wait for next month to compare it against my Shure 846.

Final impression:
Separation is still good.
Vocal is clear with good timbre.
Not as full bodied as C6iem, but yes it's not lacking volume.
Musical and warm.

I'm not an expert at impression, but this T20 value is doubled/tripled up when you finish burning them. Bear with these earphones, you'll be rewarded.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #550 of 1,127

I've had my T20's for a couple of days now and I don't find the bass overbearing at all either. I've let them "burn in" overnight for 2 nights and I have noticed some change, either with me or the earphones. Out of the box, they seemed a little crisp, but now are fine. To me, the filters do almost nothing. Between the reference and bass, I notice almost nothing, switching to the treble I hear a little more high end. Nothing crazy to speak of, though. So far, I'm enjoying them quite nicely compared to the Klipsch S4's.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #551 of 1,127
I've had my T20's for a couple of days now and I don't find the bass overbearing at all either. I've let them "burn in" overnight for 2 nights and I have noticed some change, either with me or the earphones. Out of the box, they seemed a little crisp, but now are fine. To me, the filters do almost nothing. Between the reference and bass, I notice almost nothing, switching to the treble I hear a little more high end. Nothing crazy to speak of, though. So far, I'm enjoying them quite nicely compared to the Klipsch S4's.

I'm glad they are working out for you, I thought they would, based on what you were looking for. Despite being "just" a single driver dynamic IEM, I think they're one of the best value and most versatile options out there

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #552 of 1,127
Merry Christmas to RHA Team and my fellow T20 fans!!!
Santa-Claus-Christmas-Headphones-Music-Hand.jpg

Hopefully some of you have a pair of those sexy black T20 under the tree :wink_face:
Headphone-Zone_RHA-T20_16.jpg

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #553 of 1,127
I don't have that under the tree. But I have a damn good regular T20 in my ears. Finally got around to trying a foam tip much different and more comfortable than the included one, what a great sound.

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #554 of 1,127
Is it worth selling my rha ma750 and Fiio EX1 to fund the rha T20? I find it redundant to have both earphones, but I am not sure if it's worth the hassle of selling them if the rha T20 is only a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back