Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Apr 17, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #961 of 2,057

PS: the VI beat everything mentioned above, and everything I've tried to date but the HE-1000.

Thanks fpr the review mate. And that sounds impressive. This may be off-topic but can you name some of the headphone you have tried before? Also what did you use in your review to drive the X2? It has terrible sensitivity so I doubt without amping the X2 can be driven properly.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #962 of 2,057
I tried the headphones with my laptop and had no issue about EMI noise at all.  This only happens with my work PC.  Will an external DAC help eliminate the problem?  I'm looking at iFi iDSD Micro at the moment.

Also, I've found the clamping force a bit too much.  I felt slight pain under my ears (around the end of my jaw, below the ears).  Is there any ways to help solve this?  

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #963 of 2,057
Perhaps your pc sound card is old or something. I suggest changing your pc sound card but ofc external DAC will help. Im using Centrance DACport btw. It is quite good and portable :)

For your clamping problem, Seems like either the pads are not comfort enough for you or maybe is due to the slidding problem. Try find it out urself. I hope this helps you

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #964 of 2,057
I use both the iFi iDSD Micro and the Geek Out 450. both have good synergy with the PH6. 

for comfort, you can try twisting the cups to find a position. i noticed that doing that after putting on to be quite effective in finding a sweet spot. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #965 of 2,057
Over the past weekend I sold my beloved Pandora VI.   There is some sadness, because like others who have sold theirs, the sound is so amazing and musical!   My reason for selling was their weight.

I am extremely grateful to all those who supported me in my decision to get them and experience a full size headphone, especially Jellofund
smily_headphones1.gif
and Altersack
L3000.gif
!!  Besides the size difference and portability of IEMs, I found that I still prefer IEM's over full size and comparing my Pandora to my Heaven V  did notice an intimacy from the IEM that seems very dear to "my heart".   Thanks again!!  Cheers!! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #966 of 2,057
  Over the past weekend I sold my beloved Pandora VI.   There is some sadness, because like others who have sold theirs, the sound is so amazing and musical!   My reason for selling was their weight.

I am extremely grateful to all those who supported me in my decision to get them and experience a full size headphone, especially Jellofund
smily_headphones1.gif
and Altersack
L3000.gif
!!  Besides the size difference and portability of IEMs, I found that I still prefer IEM's over full size and comparing my Pandora to my Heaven V  did notice an intimacy from the IEM that seems very dear to "my heart".   Thanks again!!  Cheers!! 
beerchug.gif

so the Heaven V is close to the PH6 in sound signature and speed?

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #969 of 2,057
Thanks a lot pulsesound, osiris1.  Appreciate it.  I found out that my desktop has another headphone port at the back and that port doesn't cause any hissing sound so the problem is solved.  Thanks again!

osiris1, do you find a big improvement in terms of sound quality using Hope 6 with and without iFi iDSD micro?  I'm contemplating whether I should buy it or buy another light headphones or IEMs for my portable use.  Thanks :)

soundbear, I hear you.  Hope 6 is heavy.  I need put them off every couple of hours of use.

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #970 of 2,057
I'm a little late to this party but maybe my thoughts on these cans will help some people out. The only source material I use is FLAC or HIFI streaming from Tidal. My setups: 

1) Desktop -> spdif -> Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus DAC w/ upgraded tube and opamp -> w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE5670W Tube -> Pandora VI

2) Macbook pro -> stock usb cable -> Meridian Audio Explorer -> Pandora VI

3) Luxman PD-272 Turntable -> Denon DL-110 Cartridge -> stock RCA cable -> Marantz 2275 Stereophonic Receiver -> Pandora VI
Nexus 6 -> Pandora VI

tl;dr:
  1. Super detailed, sometimes to the point that I have to switch back to my Grado's SR-125i's when I'm coding as the detail can distract me (not a bad thing)
  2. Tight, punchy bass
  3. Expansive soundstage - excellent separation of instruments and you can really hear panning effects a lot better than my Grado's
  4. I do have an issue at times where the bass kind of drowns out the midrange - for some reason this only occurs when using the Meridian DAC or my Nexus 6. The bass seems tighter and punchier when using the Maverick Audio DAC... maybe because of the extra power? Anyway, if you adjust the fit of the headphones this problem can be remedied - just let a little bass leak out and they sound fine.
  5. One major thing - I wear glasses and contacts. My glasses have super thick arms and if I wear them while listening to the Pandora's, bass response can be significantly impacted. I can play with the fit enough to remedy this issue, but for those of you that wear glasses, it might be worth trying a pair before buying. I love the cans so much that I simply wear my contacts most of the time, but I look forward to perhaps trying out some different earpads with more give so they could surround my ear when I'm wearing glasses. 

I tried a bunch of headphones including the Mad Dog Pro, PSB M4U 2, Grado RS-2, and while those are in a different price bracket, the Pandora's were very much superior to my ears. They do seem to like amplification, despite the fact that they are only 8 ohms, so I might get a low power tube amp to go with my Meridian Explorer at some point. Or solid state. Who knows.

Anyway, You won't regret buying them.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #971 of 2,057

osiris1, do you find a big improvement in terms of sound quality using Hope 6 with and without iFi iDSD micro?  I'm contemplating whether I should buy it or buy another light headphones or IEMs for my portable use.  Thanks :)

I almost never use headphones without a DAC/Amp. To me, there's always a difference without a DAC/Amp or even between various DAC/Amps. iDSD has various settings you can play around with for better sound, depending on what is being played. You could buy a cheaper DAC/Amp and still get another headphone/IEM. 

By portable, do you mean laptop or another DAP? 

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #972 of 2,057
Thanks osiris1.  Do you have any recommendations for DAC/AMP that are below $500-600?  

I was thinking about playing out of my smartphone.  I plan to buy Galaxy S6 so hopefully it's a good one for playing music on the go.  

Cheers.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #973 of 2,057
  Thanks osiris1.  Do you have any recommendations for DAC/AMP that are below $500-600?  

I was thinking about playing out of my smartphone.  I plan to buy Galaxy S6 so hopefully it's a good one for playing music on the go.  

Cheers.

I mainly use the iDSD Micro and GO450 now. sometimes I use the Fiio E17 in office. there's no lack of choice for below 500... CEntrance, Soundblaster, Nano iDSD...

you could also buy a Fiio X3ii and use that as a DAP and DAC

others may have more experience in this area...

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #974 of 2,057
Do you find any big difference when using Hope 6 with iDSD Micro and Fiio E17 or GO450 in terms of sound quality?  The price difference is big so I want to hear your thought if it's worth it to go higher to say iDSD Micro.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #975 of 2,057
  Do you find any big difference when using Hope 6 with iDSD Micro and Fiio E17 or GO450 in terms of sound quality?  The price difference is big so I want to hear your thought if it's worth it to go higher to say iDSD Micro.

Thanks!

I would say don't let price be your guide... start with something cheaper and work your way up. there are differences between them that are discernible: details, stage/space, power, etc.

iDSD can almost power anything. 

how you want to use them should be a factor... I tend to choose all-in-one units cause I am always on my laptop, on the move. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back