Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Apr 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #421 of 2,057
I got some interesting news/rumours to share regarding pandora x. It's gg to be the mass-market version of murasama, cost abt usd3300++, balanced armature, and to be launched at the end of the year. Start saving now!

Calling it right now. It's gonna be the Abyss of closed-back headphones. That crazy expensive but-yes-it's-worth-it product that people admit is top of the line but can't EXACTLY justify the price.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #422 of 2,057
BTW, it's really minor but this is gonna bug me forever. The little "R" button on the bottom of the headband is slightly loose, LOL. I'm like NOOOO, MY PERFECT PANDORAS HAVE AN INCREDIBLY TINY BLEMISH.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #423 of 2,057
Like I say the bass is not the dominant in the mix or balance of the hp but when compared to others it hits harder and has more so I will say its close Specially when it looks like this:
Qty/impact:
Jvc dx700> Pandora=zmf vibro>th600>lcd2 =md pro=he400>q40>7520

It's bass isn't the cleanest though but is very detailed. It's unique in that its very dynamic and fast with adequate detail but not fat sounding yet really punchy. Overall quality to me looks dif than the above.
Lcd2>he400>VIBRO>md pro>7520>pandora>th600>jvc dx700>q40

With my loudness button my vintage nad receiver on the th600 it sounds the most fulfilling.The orthos won't respond to the boost as well. I also suspect the pandora won't be tight enough to keep its composure.

I'm not saying its basshead certified but the "by no means" part is where I disagree

We hear differently then 
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially because I feel LCD2 and TH600 has more bass quantity compare to Pandora Hope VI. Different songs or set-up sometimes can be the reason of different result though.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #424 of 2,057
I am leaning more towards the different songs part than set ups. I have tried them on various set ups I would almost bet that I may have the same results with acoustic music. But when I do bass tests its with hip hop rumbling bass lines and that could be where the pandora takes the lead because of its dynamics and punch. I do feel the th600 and lcd2 have more solid bass lines but the pandora bass smacks harder.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #425 of 2,057
   We hear differently then 
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially because I feel LCD2 and TH600 has more bass quantity compare to Pandora Hope VI. Different songs or set-up sometimes can be the reason of different result though.

Several attempts with the LCD2 coming out of a Burson Conductor vs the PH6 and a VMODA Verza (iPhone 5s as source in both cases) and there's no question the PH6 has more bass. If that's an amp/DAC issue, fine, but that's my experience.

As for which is better? Honestly that's all gonna be preference, plus remember that the LCD2's open back means it's going to have more dissipation. All I know is it sounds better on the PH6. It's more "full". 

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #426 of 2,057
  I am leaning more towards the different songs part than set ups. I have tried them on various set ups I would almost bet that I may have the same results with acoustic music. But when I do bass tests its with hip hop rumbling bass lines and that could be where the pandora takes the lead because of its dynamics and punch. I do feel the th600 and lcd2 have more solid bass lines but the pandora bass smacks harder.

Ah I see, yes our songs are really different then, I usually test the low section using songs like Guo Cai Jie, Tong-Li, Jazz Variants, Samb-Adagio by Safri Duo and that kind of song, so no hip hop at all here.

Several attempts with the LCD2 coming out of a Burson Conductor vs the PH6 and a VMODA Verza (iPhone 5s as source in both cases) and there's no question the PH6 has more bass. If that's an amp/DAC issue, fine, but that's my experience.

As for which is better? Honestly that's all gonna be preference, plus remember that the LCD2's open back means it's going to have more dissipation. All I know is it sounds better on the PH6. It's more "full". 

Yes I agree, it's purely preference, I'm not gonna state which headphone is better as three of them are superb in this price range. But they indeed have different flavour 
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #427 of 2,057

Yes I agree, it's purely preference, I'm not gonna state which headphone is better as three of them are superb in this price range. But they indeed have different flavour 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I really think at this level it's all preference. You put me, an LCD guy, and someone else (I dunno, HD800?) in a room and have us try and explain to each other why our headphones are the best I can pretty much guarantee the three of us are gonna leave with exactly what we came in with and still be dead set that ours are the ultimate. 

All I can say for sure is the PH6 absolutely killed any headphone wanderlust in me. I haven't looked at the for sale forum since I got them nor have I been back to any shops. These are perfect to my ears. I have Mr Peter Hayden (psychedelic doom/sludge metal) cranked hard in them and it's so farking powerful it's almost scary. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #428 of 2,057
  It also can be the songs we play. an example could be a cello. I would almost bet that I may have the same results with acoustic music. But when I do bass tests its with hip hop rumbling bass lines and that could be where the pandora takes the lead because of its dynamics and punch. I do feel the th600 and lcd2 have more solid bass lines but the pandora bass smacks harder.

Good, this is exactly how I like my bass. I'm not so much about the audible subbass rumble but more about the very short impact/punch you feel like a very short pulsating sensation from typical EDM beats.

Take for example Sony XB700, very big bass but very "soft", not much impact/punch, it just rumbles, I don't like that. I want the bass to hit hard but it doesn't necessarily need a huge bass quantity, I still need balanced midbass and subbass presence though.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #429 of 2,057
Forgive me for using in ear headphones as a reference (the pandoras are my most expensive headphone), but I'd say these Pandora VI's have midrange detail surpassing that of the IE800 which really impressed me.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #431 of 2,057
  Just got these in today! First impressions are that the treble and when the vocals hit some high notes it is quite piercing to my ears.

Give it a bit. I thought the same at first but now I can't imagine it any other way. I dunno if it's "burn in" or adjustment.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #432 of 2,057

Give it a bit. I thought the same at first but now I can't imagine it any other way. I dunno if it's "burn in" or adjustment.

Pairing it with my intruder does get rid of the edge by a noticeable amount. Hopefully it just needs some burn in as it's quite fatiguing when the spikes do hit but other than that it's nice.
Comparing to my m50s it is a definite upgrade but not much of a WOW factor so far.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #433 of 2,057
Burn it in. It will hit you soon enough.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #434 of 2,057
  Pairing it with my intruder does get rid of the edge by a noticeable amount. Hopefully it just needs some burn in as it's quite fatiguing when the spikes do hit but other than that it's nice.
Comparing to my m50s it is a definite upgrade but not much of a WOW factor so far.

when I got them there was no wow factor to me either but when I compared it to the headphones around them they beat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back