Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Mar 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #137 of 2,057
  so far there is no wow when I first hear them until I put on some other headphones and it becomes clearly obvious how good they are.

That's the best way 
biggrin.gif

The wow factor is almost always a lie... 
What about comfort ?

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #139 of 2,057
  so far there is no wow when I first hear them until I put on some other headphones and it becomes clearly obvious how good they are.

I've found that they changed a decent amount from burn in, esp during the first 10-20 hours for the soundstage and openness. Bass continues to tighten up for many hours after that. I wasn't wowed by them at all on open box either.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #140 of 2,057
  That's the best way 
biggrin.gif

The wow factor is almost always a lie... 
What about comfort ?

comfort so far:
comfort is mediocre at best. I keep wanting my ears to fully sit inside and Its pretty weird feeling. I definitely don't feel like they disappear . The weight is evenly distributed though. I feel like new pads would help out significantly. They are also loose fitting with very little clamp pressure

sound:
I may go back and forth on this but I bought the q40's which is a Basshead staple and these clearly have very close quantities. Sometimes I think the pandora has even a smidgen more. 

I am enamored with the clarity of the mids.  I am also trying to figure out how they don't sound congested with such a forward sound and only average soundstage. It could be depth I don't know I gotta listen more. They also aren't painful yet they are really clear and forward. When you listen to the bass by itself its basshead level but next to the mids they don't seem that way. 

I am thinking this hp has an upper mid bump but that the lowermids aren't recessed. They make my yamaha sound hollow and easily best them. but the yamaha has similar tuning.

There is definitely a boost somewhere in the treble as well because I keep hearing a strong tsss in a cymbal. This is even more than the yamaha. The yamaha has this and someone complained about it but this headphone would make the yamaha cymbal a non issue(this is only from a couple of songs so far). The better instrument separation and detail retrieval make it less splashy than it would be had it not had those on its side. If you took those from it then this headphone would sound like a splashy mess. 

I wanna compare the mids and highs to my ZMF and MD 3.2 later on or after a few days. 

Overall is that it has a tuning that would be very hard for most not to like and I think its a great hp so far and I am excited to hear the new pads.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #142 of 2,057
  Awesome for the new pads lets hope they won't cost an arm...
Does it sound consistent or do you hear when the BA is taking over?

you know what I never looked into Balanced armature and I have no clue right now. Is it supposed to compensate for sound issues while playing or something?

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #143 of 2,057
Isn't it what is supposed to be special about the FA pandora, the dual system or somethin' :)

I think the balanced armature are supposed to take over from a certain frequency and let the dynamic driver take car of the low end of the spectrum..
I still don't get it how a small BA gives enough volume without being in your ear canal...
The decay of BAs is usually very fast they respond faster to the signal and are electrically more efficient thus making them very accurate and reveling.
They also move less air so usually to get a good bass it needs more units and a sealed ear canal so i have no clues whats really going on here...
I think the BA unit is very close to your ear and may bigger than the usual ones used in IEMs..

Anyway only the sound should be the last one to speak and apparently it doesn't disappoint
L3000.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #144 of 2,057
Actually the PHVI doesn't use a crossover between the BA and DD so I'm guessing they're both full ranged? During my first week with the PHVI, I noticed that at some point in the lower mids there seemed to be a loss of clarity compared to the upper mids and highs. I thought that this incoherence was due to the DD taking over. As I continued to burn them in, this incoherence disappeared though.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #145 of 2,057
No it doesn't disappoint. That cymbal is the only problem I hear but its not a really brigh headphone. So since it sounds less bright than the yamaha on first listen but then I heard that tssss makes me want to figure it out more

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #146 of 2,057
Ok Guys, I just want to address some issues that i am having with my pandora hope Vi

One of the earpad is start to teared of.. Luckily I got them from Jaben so it is easy solution to get another pad replacement,

The left ear piece start to sliding down by itself .. So this is a precaution for other user not to use them while lying down or even fell a sleep with those on ,

It caused the gap on the plastic cap. 

For the record I really love this headphone.. This is my main portable  setup now.  I just don't want other owner getting problem like this.. And I hope fad can fix this kind of issue in their future product,,

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #147 of 2,057

The left ear piece start to sliding down by itself .. So this is a precaution for other user not to use them while lying down or even fell a sleep with those on ,

Man I cant believe you fell asleep with these things on!!! I just sit and listen at my desk and don't walk about with them on. That's disappointing about the build quality....poor! I can see the sliders doing this after a short while.
No it doesn't disappoint. That cymbal is the only problem I hear but its not a really brigh headphone. So since it sounds less bright than the yamaha on first listen but then I heard that tssss makes me want to figure it out more

That's weird, I haven't noticed this at all. I'm gonna have listen for it tonight......I haven't heard anything offensive like that.

I have been getting headaches from listening too loud and maybe the fit. It has so much headroom it's easy to loose how loud it is. I've never had to mess with the volume so much between tracks.....wish they were a bit harder to drive!.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #148 of 2,057
Hope to see a measurement of these, I don't like buying headphones of this pricetag without having first seen if it matches my preferences or not.

Anyone seen any yet?

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #149 of 2,057
  Man I cant believe you fell asleep with these things on!!! I just sit and listen at my desk and don't walk about with them on. That's disappointing about the build quality....poor! I can see the sliders doing this after a short while.

My listening time starts on 10 pm. Listening to jazz on these sounds like a lullaby to me.. so beautifully addictive.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #150 of 2,057
  Ok Guys, I just want to address some issues that i am having with my pandora hope Vi

One of the earpad is start to teared of.. Luckily I got them from Jaben so it is easy solution to get another pad replacement,

It caused the gap on the plastic cap. 

For the record I really love this headphone.. This is my main portable  setup now.  I just don't want other owner getting problem like this.. And I hope fad can fix this kind of issue in their future product,,

That happens with both of the ear cups on my pair. Solution? Roll up some rubber bands tight on the slider bars under the bottom edge of the cups! Not pretty, but sets them where you need them to stay! Earlier post a few pages back has a pic....

Edit- here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back