Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #916 of 2,057
  So, I was using the Fiio E9/E10 DAC/amp combo on with my iMac and the Hope VI. That was a decent combination, but today I received my Schiit Modi DAC and tube hybrid Vali amplifier, and Oh Schiit! This brings out ever minute detail that I didn't even think the Hope VI was hiding! What a fantastic desk DAC and Amp for the Pandora Hope VI. Try it fellas!!

Never tried a Vali though I'm profoundly intrigued, but some says that Vali just has too much power for low impedance iems that they don't make a neat match, but that won't be a problem for PHVI?

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #917 of 2,057
  Never tried a Vali though I'm profoundly intrigued, but some says that Vali just has too much power for low impedance iems that they don't make a neat match, but that won't be a problem for PHVI?

Since the PH use a BA and Dynamic driver, I doubt the same rules of impedance apply here (impedance can change the Sound of BA driver more than Dynamic one I think)

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #918 of 2,057
Absolutely loving my Pandora VI!!!  It bests my Heaven V in bass impact and quanity as well as just a bigger overall sound.   Soo musical!   I've got the Shure pads and the fit is great.   My only complaint is the weight.   Having an arthritic neck doesn't help, but I am now really noticing how heavy they are.   Yet I have come up with some solutions:

my other solution is a bit more practical, I put a pillow under my head and recline on my Ekornes recliner!!
evil_smiley.gif
beerchug.gif
wink_face.gif
atsmile.gif
cool.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #920 of 2,057

Since the PH use a BA and Dynamic driver, I doubt the same rules of impedance apply here (impedance can change the Sound of BA driver more than Dynamic one I think)

thanks, I'm hooking it up with an idsd micro for the time being, the sound comes slightly on the warmer side for my taste.

I tried plugging PHVI directly into my macbook pro "without interpretation", but the background noise is excruciating, it turned out an amp/dac combo is not unnecessary

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #922 of 2,057
I plugged PHVI into a Smartisan T1 cellphone (a Chinese brand, http://www.smartisan.com/en/#/features), I must say, I derived much more musical pleasure from it than I did with idsd micro. With idsd it sounds warm and muddy, the tremble can be piercing sometimes, maybe it is just that they are a mismatch. But considering Smartisan T1 boasts only a opa2604 op-amp chip, I cannot help but envisioning(en-auditioning?) how much potential it has yet to be tapped... 

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #923 of 2,057
I think the Hope VI pairs really nicely with the humble O2 amp. Just a smidge of warmth (from the 'phone) and a really even handed presentation. Mine has a 1x gain option which is perfect for these and offers a lot of play on the volume pot.

@ Frederick wang. I found the treble could sometimes get really piercing at times when I tried them with the Magni 2 Uber so can sympathise. Sad thing is with other tracks that pairing could be jaw droppingly good. Just too hit & miss for my day-to-day use though.

(should add I was using an ODAC with both amps so that could play a part too)

Quote:
  Absolutely loving my Pandora VI!!!  It bests my Heaven V in bass impact and quanity as well as just a bigger overall sound.   Soo musical!   I've got the Shure pads and the fit is great.   My only complaint is the weight.   Having an arthritic neck doesn't help, but I am now really noticing how heavy they are.  

Great to hear you are enjoying them!.....neck strain aside 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have just done the same as you albeit in reverse and added a Heaven V. I'd been looking for a new IEM but wanted one that was a tad bass-head for a change and with removable cables so wasn't even considering FAD. However, I somehow ended up looking at the Heavens on Amazon a couple of nights back and noticed a vgc pair being sold by Amazon Warehouse for a ridiculously good price (< half the cost of a new pair) so snapped them up pronto. They arrived today and aside from the plethora of stickers and tape that Amazon have slapped over the outer card sleeve they could pass for new. Presentation box, case, IEMs all immaculate and tips still bagged up and sealed.

After some experimentation with tips and insertion depth to get a good seal I can see why you like them so much! Whilst they do lag behind the Pandoras in the areas you mention the mids really are quite magical. Presentation seems a bit more up front and intimate (although can be quite spacious when the recording allows) than the Hope VI and also lusher. Very more-ish and vocals, strings and pianos are particularly endearing.

Just goes to show what a single BA driver is capable of in the right hands. No risk of neck strain with these little fellas either!

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #925 of 2,057
PH6 user from Malaysia here :D
Im still a student so having very limited budget on headphone selection. I was a beyerdynamic dt990 user, but the left driver went faulty in a sudden. And just at this very moment, jaben malaysia selling their demo units at very low price. I didnt think much and grab the PH6 instantly at USD210. Very mint condition, I bet they take care their stuff very well. The moment when I plug it into my phone, boom! The silky smooth mids, unique airy warm signature fill my head. Im currently using Centrance Dacport, which also a demo unit selling at USD81. Im really happy with PH6 and listen to it every single day. The comfort issue however is really troublesome. I have to take off a while after 1 hour. Im thinking to switch the earpads with my faulty dt990 valour pads. Maybe I would try it when im free

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #926 of 2,057
PH6 user from Malaysia here
biggrin.gif

Im still a student so having very limited budget on headphone selection. I was a beyerdynamic dt990 user, but the left driver went faulty in a sudden. And just at this very moment, jaben malaysia selling their demo units at very low price. I didnt think much and grab the PH6 instantly at USD210. Very mint condition, I bet they take care their stuff very well. The moment when I plug it into my phone, boom! The silky smooth mids, unique airy warm signature fill my head. Im currently using Centrance Dacport, which also a demo unit selling at USD81. Im really happy with PH6 and listen to it every single day. The comfort issue however is really troublesome. I have to take off a while after 1 hour. Im thinking to switch the earpads with my faulty dt990 valour pads. Maybe I would try it when im free

so it was you who bought it. i was hunting the Sony Z7 but didn't manage to get that. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #927 of 2,057
PH6 user from Malaysia here
biggrin.gif

Now I'm wishing that I was in Malaysia for that demo unit sale, I bought my PHVI's for 450 usd about half a year ago from here...
frown.gif

Anyway, that must have been an amazing sale for it to come down so low since they're selling for around 700 usd on their online store right now. Nice find! I hope that the new pads fix your issues.

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #929 of 2,057
Haven't heard any of them but I hear the ed8 isn't worth the price at all. Also it's sound sig doesn't match up with the other 2 phones you listed (again just from hear say). The sig djs have also been discontinued so they will grow in value, however after some time if the break you will be pretty much screwed lol. I hear they do sound great though.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #930 of 2,057
  Question I have a chance to get the Pandora vi, the ultrasone sig dj, or the edition 8 for the same price which of these do guys think is superior in overall sound quality?

If I sell my Pandora VI due to only the wt factor, I will be demoing the Grado 325e which has rave reviews from H20, whom I tremendously respect.   I would suggest for anyone in your position looking at several full size to no just look for sound quality, but preferred signature, comfort, weight and of course build quality and other factors that I am not aware of since I'm new to full-size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back