Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Dec 23, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,042 of 2,057
Made a little headphone mod. Removed a thin layer of foam. Cut out the felt and put it inside.
My feeling is that there is less vibration on the cups. The bass is more natural.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3541.jpg
    IMG_3541.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3543.jpg
    IMG_3543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,043 of 2,057
I have the Sonorous 2 and 3 and was wondering which of these two I should get as an "addon": Sonorous 6 or 4. Someone wrote that the 6 is just a better version of the 4, but I also saw someone mentioning that the 4 has less fatiguing treble. Apparently, they both use the same type of pads and both might be fatiguing in the treble. The 4 was released at a later date, maybe I'm completely in the wrong here, but could the 4 be considered an updated version of the 6?

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,044 of 2,057
I have the Sonorous 2 and 3 and was wondering which of these two I should get as an "addon": Sonorous 6 or 4. Someone wrote that the 6 is just a better version of the 4, but I also saw someone mentioning that the 4 has less fatiguing treble. Apparently, they both use the same type of pads and both might be fatiguing in the treble. The 4 was released at a later date, maybe I'm completely in the wrong here, but could the 4 be considered an updated version of the 6?

I've owned both but not at the same time, so take my impressions with a grain of salt since they're from memory, but my impression was that they essentially sounded the same, the VI just had nice materials. I would just get whichever you can find for cheaper

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #2,045 of 2,057
I've owned both but not at the same time, so take my impressions with a grain of salt since they're from memory, but my impression was that they essentially sounded the same, the VI just had nice materials. I would just get whichever you can find for cheaper
I've heard that with newer models of the IV it can have a hollow sound due to the lower build quality compared to the IV.

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #2,046 of 2,057
I've heard that with newer models of the IV it can have a hollow sound due to the lower build quality compared to the IV.

That's not something I noticed, but like I said I didn't listen to them side by side, so it's possible

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #2,047 of 2,057
Jul 22, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #2,048 of 2,057
Final Audio Sonorous VI:

Objective Score (1-10) – 9.25

My Score (1-10) – 9.25 [Exceptional Soundstage for a Closed Design]

Treble – Perfect, articulate sound that brings out every high frequency detail. (10/10)

Mids – Extremely good mids, not muddy at all. (9/10)

Bass – Excellent bass with strong presence. Could have a slightly fuller and tighter profile. (9/10)

Vocals – Excellent forward-focused vocals, but noticeably sibilant. (8.5/10)

Soundstage – Great, almost as wide as the Sennheiser HD 800S. (9.0/10)

Imaging – Superior. (10/10)

Directional Audio/Gaming – Clear direction at all times. Could provide a fuller and wider presence. (8/10)
Build Quality – Extremely durable feel, and uses the best materials available. Top of line. (10/10)
Comfort – Light and extremely comfortable. Can forget they’re even there. (10/10)

Let me know how you all feel about the Sonorous lineup. :)

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #2,049 of 2,057

I don't think the "hollowness" is due to build quality, but more about the material. IV's main cup frame is made of plastic, where VI is solid stainless steel. The higher density serves to stabilise the sound better.

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,050 of 2,057
I like the VI but I'd say they fall into the "acquired taste" category and may not appeal to that many listeners.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #2,051 of 2,057
Sorry, it took me ages to actually read the thread and not just read the email digest....

I auditioned both IV and VI side to side for hours before I bought the VI.
They have a similar tuning, but they don't sound the same. VI has a lot more grounded, full bodied sound. Sounds stage is slightly bigger in every direction, and bass hits a bit harder. All the things that happens when you mass-load the body.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #2,052 of 2,057
Hi FA fans,
I need your recommendations or ideas about my two Sonorous HP-s:
Sonorous X: Which alternative ear pads are recommended? I would like to have a more comfortable and more lasting solution than the stock FA ear pads with similar sound profile.

Sonorous VI: The head band on my Sonorous VI peeled completely off. Is there original or after market solution for head band replacement for the Sonorous line?

Thanks for all your hints!

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #2,053 of 2,057
I'm not sure if anyone has bought this up in the past besides me but it seems like final audio uses the same driver across the the whole sonorous line. The 4 and 6 use a balanced armature wired in parallel with the driver so thats why the ohms are 8 instead of 16 like the other models.

Final audio is a small company and I don't believe they have the resources to develop 6 different drivers for the sonorous line. While its not impossible, its highly unlikely theres much difference if any between the drivers in the sonorous line.

I think the driver is excellent and looking at photos of the higher end models, it seems thats while the driver is probably the same, the tuning and materials used are vastly different. I had the sonorous III in the past and tried my hand at trying to mod it to bring out the best capability of the driver. Unfortunately for me, I found the tuning aspect is extraordinarily difficult and while the mods I did to the headphone, greatly improved the sound, I didn't have the capability to mimic certain things in the sonorous x like the materials and the design aspects of the baffle and driver housing.

For example, the driver housings are quite different in all of sonorous headphones. The sonorous 3 didn't have all the holes or slots in the driver housing. I also found that the design of the headphones in terms of the headband extending down with the flat metal protruding past the earcup actually causes microvibration and resonance which negatively affect the sound. Basically its acting like a tuning fork.

I haven't had the opportunity to hear any other sonorous except the III to compare but just looking at the materials and tuning on the X, I can imagine they would sound significantly better. I think we can all agree that the lower end sonorous models have very questionable build quality.

I hope final audio makes another dynamic driver headphone. They can make an excellent headphone when they want to. I've heard the d8000 and its probably on my list of top 3 headphones I've ever heard but its out of my price range. It'd be nice if they have a mid tier DD offering.

P1210455.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-05_at_22-26-10_SONOROUS_series.png
Screenshot_2022-03-05_at_22-25-37_SONOROUS_series.png

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #2,054 of 2,057
I'm not sure if anyone has bought this up in the past besides me but it seems like final audio uses the same driver across the the whole sonorous line. The 4 and 6 use a balanced armature wired in parallel with the driver so thats why the ohms are 8 instead of 16 like the other models.

Final audio is a small company and I don't believe they have the resources to develop 6 different drivers for the sonorous line. While its not impossible, its highly unlikely theres much difference if any between the drivers in the sonorous line.

I think the driver is excellent and looking at photos of the higher end models, it seems thats while the driver is probably the same, the tuning and materials used are vastly different. I had the sonorous III in the past and tried my hand at trying to mod it to bring out the best capability of the driver. Unfortunately for me, I found the tuning aspect is extraordinarily difficult and while the mods I did to the headphone, greatly improved the sound, I didn't have the capability to mimic certain things in the sonorous x like the materials and the design aspects of the baffle and driver housing.

For example, the driver housings are quite different in all of sonorous headphones. The sonorous 3 didn't have all the holes or slots in the driver housing. I also found that the design of the headphones in terms of the headband extending down with the flat metal protruding past the earcup actually causes microvibration and resonance which negatively affect the sound. Basically its acting like a tuning fork.

I haven't had the opportunity to hear any other sonorous except the III to compare but just looking at the materials and tuning on the X, I can imagine they would sound significantly better. I think we can all agree that the lower end sonorous models have very questionable build quality.

I hope final audio makes another dynamic driver headphone. They can make an excellent headphone when they want to. I've heard the d8000 and its probably on my list of top 3 headphones I've ever heard but its out of my price range. It'd be nice if they have a mid tier DD offering.

P1210455.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-05_at_22-26-10_SONOROUS_series.pngScreenshot_2022-03-05_at_22-25-37_SONOROUS_series.png

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #2,055 of 2,057
As far as I remember Final clearly stated openly that the driver of the Sonorous II, III, VIII and X are the same (main driver of IV and VI doesn't have the titanium dome). They said that the sound difference of the different types is coming from the acoustic difference of the different materials they use surrounding the driver. In Sonorous II and III everything arround the driver is made of plastic where in the X you don't see a single part arround the driver from plastic.
They followed the same principle with the Piano Forte line where they (claimed to) use the driver of the cheap plastic Piano Forte II in PF VIII, PF IX and PF X. The PF II costs 40€ where the PFXG 3K€. They said that the acoustic qualities of the housing is even more important that the driver.
I currently own Sonorous VI and X and Piano Forte IX. I can easily confirm that despite the driver similarities the X sounds completely differently than the VI and the PF IX sounds nothing like a 40€ cheap plastic ear bud.
I beleive that this unique way of thinking about designing a product made Takai san so georgeos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back