Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Feb 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #511 of 812
Don't know if you could stretch to something like the Audio-gd NFB-10 (there was a used one in the F/S forum about a week ago for around $400), but it should have more than enough grunt to truly power the ZMF the way it wants to be driven, and it seems to be really well received overall. I haven't heard one personally, but I'm listening to the HE6 on a Master 8 headamp right now, and it's just fantastic. 

Anyway, just a thought. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #513 of 812
it's an odac.

Ok go easy on me for this. But while i'm waiting on this cable to arrive .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I963XQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All i had laying around was a 9 footer for now until that 6 inch shows up. Is 9 ft too long?

And thank you all for your suggestions. I am not complaining one bit. And like I said I know I love these headphones. I'm saying personally I dont think the magni cuts the mustard. And whether you're spending more less or the same i would suggest another option.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #514 of 812
  it's an odac.

Ok go easy on me for this. But while i'm waiting on this cable to arrive .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I963XQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All i had laying around was a 9 footer for now until that 6 inch shows up. Is 9 ft too long?

And thank you all for your suggestions. I am not complaining one bit. And like I said I know I love these headphones. I'm saying personally I dont think the magni cuts the mustard. And whether you're spending more less or the same i would suggest another option.

odac is fine to me. its a pretty neutral sounding dac

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #515 of 812
Sorry for all the questions. It's a classic case of the most helpful crowd being bothered to help more :wink: . I make threads about stuff and they go silent. I'm apparently too dumb to search some of these things out successfully. Thank you all for your patience.

As someone mentioned earlier the "smoky smoothness" of these phones... Is something that I think is just nice how it is and I would aim for a known "warm" sounding amp.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #517 of 812
Has anyone tried their ZMFs with a portable amp like an ALO Continental or a Portaphile 627?   I am planning to order a pair of ZMFs but I will be mostly using my HPs with a portable amp and want to be sure I get the right one.  I like the Emotiva idea and will consider getting one for my home or office but I am really hoping that a very good portable will work.  Thank you.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #518 of 812
  Has anyone tried their ZMFs with a portable amp like an ALO Continental or a Portaphile 627? 

The RSA (Ray Samuels) Intruder, Lightning and "Black Bird" are all more than powerful enough to run the T50rp's to their max potential with a high gain setting of +21. A lot of voltage running at high gain.  Only difference between the three is that the Lightning is just balanced, the Black Bird Balanced and SE, and the Intruder is Balanced, Single Ended, and has a DAC.

Haven't heard the two amps you mention, but the RSA amps are great portable options.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #519 of 812
Sorry just one more update on the magni... Ive had it for a week. The headphone cable is plugged in straight and the cable is not stressing the jack at all.

The jack is already getting loose on the magni and i have to wiggle to try and get both channels the same. 

Thing really is a piece. Just thought i'd share.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #520 of 812
Just want to jump on here and make a quick note though my schedule is very tight currently. 

I got one of Zach's top end ZPEX in and realize I'm going to have to do another full review as I am amazed.  But just want to note that the improvements over the original one I got is absolutely remarkable. If I was not hearing both side by side, I would not believe that the T50RP could possibly be modified to such a diverse range of sound.  I'm swamped currently but will eventually post another full review in a month or so.  Just want to say an initial 'Two Thumbs Up'.  Zach is really taking this to a level I did not think possible with a basic low cost foundation. It is eye opening to experience the difference.  I used to think that the heart of any headphone is the transducer but now realize that there is much more engineering going on in the chassis etc.  

UL

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #521 of 812
Just want to jump on here and make a quick note though my schedule is very tight currently. 

I got one of Zach's top end ZPEX in and realize I'm going to have to do another full review as I am amazed.  But just want to note that the improvements over the original one I got is absolutely remarkable. If I was not hearing both side by side, I would not believe that the T50RP could possibly be modified to such a diverse range of sound.  I'm swamped currently but will eventually post another full review in a month or so.  Just want to say an initial 'Two Thumbs Up'.  Zach is really taking this to a level I did not think possible with a basic low cost foundation. It is eye opening to experience the difference.  I used to think that the heart of any headphone is the transducer but now realize that there is much more engineering going on in the chassis etc.  

UL

Cant wait to hear your thoughts on it. The ZPEX looks awesome however im perfectly content with my gold rejack zmf.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #522 of 812

UL

what wiring did you get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back