Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Feb 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #497 of 812
  This is a bit of a long shot for most people, but the EHHA is fantastic with the ZMF. It easily bests the SA-31.

Been looking for an amp upgrade from my AGD NFB12, a previous post of yours early on in this thread had me wishing/planning for an SA-31. Your comments about the EHHA besting the SA-31 got me poking around various posts and websites concerning the EHHA. Did you build yours or buy it assembled? What was the cost? How would it compare to a LYR or Project Ember?

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #500 of 812
  Just got same pictures of my cups from Zach. Figured I should let you guys see my awesome cups in the color of my Macbook Air :-D I'm officially excited now!

biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #502 of 812
  Been looking for an amp upgrade from my AGD NFB12, a previous post of yours early on in this thread had me wishing/planning for an SA-31. Your comments about the EHHA besting the SA-31 got me poking around various posts and websites concerning the EHHA. Did you build yours or buy it assembled? What was the cost? How would it compare to a LYR or Project Ember?

I haven't tried either the Lyr or the Ember, but I'd imagine that it'd best them, since most builds cost more than either. I bought mine used, but I'd estimate the parts and a barebones case to cost about $400 or so.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #504 of 812
I just got a vintage Pioneer(SX 980) I bought a few months ago back from getting serviced (recap, solder joints, new power supply) and I must say the ZMF's(v2) and it are unreal together. 

I first tried it Benchmark DAC2>Fosgate Signature series (used as a tube preamp)>980 headphone out, warm and full, reminiscent of a Planar HD650 with more of a bite on the low end and a bit more sparkle. I have been enjoying this combo for the last couple of days.

Then, today, I looked over at my self-made contraption for the Emotiva (had to try it when it was on sale) and thought "I wonder if I could tap the 980 speaker outs....."  eliminating the preamp and straight DAC>980, wow just wow. First of all dead silent background, full meaty bass (LCD-2-like), rich mids, increase in sound-stage and just fantastic dynamics. This setup sounds more like listening to a good set of speakers then anything else in my collection.

Great work Zach.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #506 of 812
Just recieved the Magni. Magni brightens them up very nicely but is too short on any bass. I know the zmf's have way more on tap. Even the v1s. I'd scratch the magni right off that list. It's really no bass all treble. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #507 of 812
Also really a bit too bright. actually gets them grainy at times. I do not recommend the magni at all. Seems like quite a spike on snare and claps and such. Unless for some reason the magni does not like being paired with the odac. i'd say steer elsewhere. Perhaps the vali or the icon or something else entirely.

I still know these are fantastic headphones. In fact they are showing me all the flaws in the rest of my rig. I need to get everything else caught up with them. And the magni is still not it for me. I'll let it burn in. but the search continues. I'm thinking I would like an amp with a little more Bass with these. 

Just lettin ya know. I'm thinking the vali is probably better. If you're considering the 2. Not that ive tried the vali but I'm listening to the magni and my warning is skip this and go for the vali or something else altogether. The brightness and non bass is so much so that it affects the versatility of these phones. Some tracks are just too bright. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #508 of 812
  Just recieved the Magni. Magni brightens them up very nicely but is too short on any bass. I know the zmf's have way more on tap. Even the v1s. I'd scratch the magni right off that list. It's really no bass all treble. 

Not even the V1's :wink: It's not Version 1 or Version 2 here. Version 1 is for people who doesn't need a lot of bass but want it a little more balanced around the spectrum! V2 is for people who like a little more bass while maintaining balanced sound! 

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #509 of 812
I'm not looking for a ton of bass. I'n my opinion the magni is a thin sounding treble head amp. I realize i have little experience thus far or much to compare it with as of yet. But I am however absolutely positive that these phones would sound more to my liking with a different amp. And I think i will be able to find it eventually. That is all...I offer my opinion on what i have tried and I do strongly believe that there are much better options. And that these headphones are ready to sound just how i want. 

It is unfortunate that AFTER buying the magni I am reading here and there that it is in fact KNOWN to be a bit bass light.

I'm not saying im looking for a ton more. Only a little shift from the upper to the lower. Not so much that I'm unhappy with the phones. I'm telling ya for me it really is this amp killing them.

My cmoy (bass boost OFF) is much warmer and fuller sounding thatn magni. I'm not joking. The magni has not only weak bass but also overexaggerated trebles. Not even the clear well seperated kind. Just harsh and grainy in a lot of tracks.

Is that what the v1 is supposed to sound like? Harsh and grainy and anytime someone says an SSS it sounds like a match lighting. No thats not what theyre supposed to sound like.

I recommend not the magni...

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #510 of 812

do you have the modi? because get rid of that too I dont like its bass either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back