Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #9,286 of 9,388
Amarok you are 100pct correct using SP/DIF coax the HP amp is absolutely quiet and clean. This is a very serious piece of equipment for the money.

I correct the original chip was a 2604.

One possibility is if the original chips are not genuine parts putting a known genuine part in really takes the DAC/HP amp to a completely new level of quality.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #9,287 of 9,388
OPA627 seems to be genuine in mine ZERO: offset voltage is in tolerance and resistance between  pin1 and pin5 is 55kOhm. So it's either genuine or very good counterfeit (unlikely).
Opamp in HP amp is cheap universal opamp (NJM082), so there's space for improvements.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #9,288 of 9,388
nice , any upgrade you guys recomend for my zero dac ? 
i have it paired to my Shure SRH-1840 and i am loving it so far. 
But when i heard my SRH-1840 with balanced cables and the yamamoto amp at Jaben Singapore...
it feels like its got alot more to improve , and i heard certain opa's can give the zero dac a tube sound !,
i really want "DETAIL !!!"  

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #9,290 of 9,388
was looking for more detail and transparancy 
so how do i build the head-amp ? 
but not sure i have the skill to dwell into soldering the board.if i can just swap the opamps which is the best for clarity ( without increasing the treble i have enough , or to make it more natural/transparent sounding ) 

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #9,292 of 9,388
OK , i dont really follow text instructions well do you know off any video tht can guide me visually ? And thanks !!! 

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #9,293 of 9,388
I'm thinking of getting one of theses because the Musiland us2 doesn't quite power the Sure SRH-940, will i have any problems with the 42 Ohms impedance of the headphones? hiss?

thanks for your time

May 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #9,296 of 9,388
Hello everyone. My first post on this forum. 
I am looking for a DAC at about 100-200$ max and I read some on the Zero DAC. I do own a set of low level Sony headphones and they work for my needs but I am looking for a DAC for my main system. Right now I have a modded ta2020 amp that sounds superb on my Fostex FE206E (haven't manage to put the enclosures together but all it's needed is the time to glue them).
Also I have a sherwood s-5000 tube amp in restoration process that I might finish as a winter project. Sound source is my iMac to a M-Audio FastTrack Pro soundcard. I'm looking to replace the DAC from my system and don't have much to spend. Zero seems to fit the bill and I sure do love to mod :) In fact I couldn't be completely satisfied with a piece of audio gear without getting my hands dirty.
So I'd like to know how would this fit in place of my M-Audio DAC. Is it worth it? Should I wait, gather more money and spend it on something else? Another option (a bit over the $ limit) would be an es9018 dac made by someone named Weiliang and is about 230$ without the transformer (absolutely no affiliation with the seller, in fact I don't really like the fact that there's no schematic for his products so modding should be more complicated, IF I might go that route). Also there's no info on that DAC as it's barely been out.
Anyway I'd love some input regarding the Zero DAC vs my M-Audio one. This DAC is very tempting as there's so much info on it. Haven't had the time to read all 600 pages but I've scanned this and some other threads on this subject and seems tempting. Also, how does it compare to the newer ones out there? Seems like this unit has been on the market for some time now and technology moves fast these days. Of course it's been good a few years ago, it's also good now but for the same price I'd do a bit of research first. Cheapest version I found for the Zero on ebay is 156$ and I'll replace the op-amp and so on. What would you spend your money on considering all the DAC out there for max 200-220$ that can (should!) be modded? Also I like something cased as I don't want to spend time on drilling and more money on case+shipping :)

May 21, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #9,297 of 9,388
In my experience there's not much that can beat modded ZERO in the ~500$ price range. Old headamp and USB is nothing special, but DAC is great.
Great DAC is also HRT Music Streamer II (no modding potential here), or a heavily modded AK4396 DAC - just search eBay for "24BIT 192KHZ CS8416 + AK4396 + NE5532P" (no enclosure and PSU for this one).
So I think that ZERO is best option for complete DAC when you want to do some modding. :)

About the older versions: two weeks ago I modded the original (not 09 version) and before modding it sounded much worse than the unmodded 09 version.

May 21, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #9,298 of 9,388
Another reason for considering other options than the Zero is that I will never use the headamp. I'd like a zero without one, and cheaper :)
The 24BIT 192KHZ CS8416 + AK4396 + NE5532P  looks nice and I found some info on it but I'd like to use USB as an option. I could use the M-Audio spdif out and that would be 24/96.

May 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #9,299 of 9,388
Here's another DAC that is based on one that you recommended, in fact I think it is the same one with a case and transformer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-2496-AK4396-CS8416-DAC-With-Transformer-case-/110712416420?_rdc=1&ru=http://shop.ebay.com:80/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=110712416420&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1

What would be your personal opinion on these two DACs? Both cased with transformers, zero has the headamp that I really don't need and is a bit more expensive, ak4396 newer and less expensive. (of course, I will mod any. I will in fact get the pcb with soldered ICs if I can to reduce cost)
I have no affiliation with the seller on ebay and I don't think that I'll be buying from him anything, it was just an example for price and case/transformer.

May 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #9,300 of 9,388
Yeah, it's the same.
ZERO can be modded to 24/96 USB with I2S: TE7022 module. This module is very good, requires little modding and is great combination with AK DAC (when I2S output used).
ZERO has one advantage: it can be used as preamplifier. If you don't need it than AK will be better for you.

I heard my ZERO and AK DAC (DIY, but made by friend of Fikus, so it's basically Lampizator DAC) at one moment and both is detailed, neutral. To my ears it was the same, but guy who made the AK DAC told me that ZERO is little worse than his DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back