Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 25, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #9,046 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovelin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I'm new to the amp/dac game, and I noticed the tianyun has two models, one with OPA2604, and one with OPA627. Is one better than the other? And are these DAC's?

You should start with the first post in this thread.
popcorn.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #9,047 of 9,388
lol, so many pages. There's only a 10 dollar difference between the two.

Haha, nevermind. The very first post answered it. Although I can't tell where the LT comes in.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #9,048 of 9,388
well..... I've just received my HDAM OPA moon...

I think it doesn't work....
mad.gif

it's getting very very hot and the toroidal transformer is smoking and getting VERY HOT
confused_face.gif

the sound is just a mix of low level bad sound and a sort of bzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
frown.gif

what do you think of that ?
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #9,049 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbretzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well..... I've just received my HDAM OPA moon...

I think it doesn't work....
mad.gif

it's getting very very hot and the toroidal transformer is smoking and getting VERY HOT
confused_face.gif

the sound is just a mix of low level bad sound and a sort of bzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
frown.gif

what do you think of that ?
frown.gif

Where did you get it and you are sure it's installed right?

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #9,051 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfungadget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get it and you are sure it's installed right?

I've bought it from gd-audio, I've plugged it like the photos on head-fi...

no problem for the connection...

I'm trying to contact GD-audio and the seller on ebay, because now, after replacing the original opamps, evreything's wrong !
the sound is cracking and when I turn the volume pot, the 2 leds of the headphones board turn off....turn on....off....on.... etc.....
frown.gif

so I have an OPA dual moon which is HS and now a Zero which is HS too after only 2 months.....
what can I do ???
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #9,052 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coolfungadget was a good guy to do business with. I got my zero from him and it arrived in upstate NY in less than 2 weeks. I thought the 2604 sounded pretty good in the dac. The stock jrc082's in the amp came out after about 2 minutes.
smily_headphones1.gif

i ordered saturday afternoon and received it thursday afternoon from china. pretty impressive if you ask me.

i got about 10 hours on the zero right now (through usb). definitely an upgrade from my audigy 2 value or my logitech z5500's internal DAC.

the bass is more controlled... there's a bigger soundstage... more separation between all the different sounds... and i'm working with just mp3s. if this amp supposedly gets better past the 100 hour mark, then i guess i'm in for a treat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #9,053 of 9,388
well I have searched but cant seem an answer.
I own D2000 and looking for an amp. im intrigued by these postings on the Zero but looking for advice on which OPA to get from Ebay. looks like the OPA627 and OPA2604 are readily available.

The reviewer(awesome btw) mentions tighter bass with the OPA627 x2 but im not clear if that is the same as the ones being offered on ebay.

i typically will be listening to this through my desktop and usually listen to well produced minimal techno.

does anyone have a strong preference to start out with?

thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #9,054 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I have searched but cant seem an answer.
I own D2000 and looking for an amp. im intrigued by these postings on the Zero but looking for advice on which OPA to get from Ebay. looks like the OPA627 and OPA2604 are readily available.

The reviewer(awesome btw) mentions tighter bass with the OPA627 x2 but im not clear if that is the same as the ones being offered on ebay.

i typically will be listening to this through my desktop and usually listen to well produced minimal techno.

does anyone have a strong preference to start out with?

thanks in advance.

The OPA627 are the ones being offered on Ebay these are upgrades for the DAC secion the 2604 are the original OPAMPS offered in the DAC section. I am currently running the 627's and 1364's in the DAC/Headphone amp section and am happy with the sound. I run Coax output from my Audigy X-Fi to my Zero DAC and it is definately an upgrade from My audigy. I have never heard the D2000 but It drives my D1001 just fine.

Good Luck

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #9,055 of 9,388
I found the results from op-amp rolling to be barely perceptible (if at all due to placebo) when using the Zero as a headphone amp, or with the Little Dot MkIII I used to own.
I might have heard more of a difference using my Zana Deux, but that's a vast step up in quality - I.E you wouldn't drive a Zana Deux with an op-amped DAC anyway.

If you can get a couple for a few bucks I suppose it'd be worth it, but I think you ought to just save $30 bucks for an HDAM, where there will be marked improvement. All the posts earlier about op-amps being a night and day improvement were hugely over-exaggerated.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #9,057 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so my USB decoding just broke. i'm not sure if it's the cable or the Zero... i switched to optical and it's working. i'm too lazy to investigate.

Try pressing the Mute button for 3 seconds until you see the Mute LED blinks.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #9,058 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfungadget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try pressing the Mute button for 3 seconds until you see the Mute LED blinks.

i turned on the amp to no sound, so i did this to re-lock the USB signal. that's pretty odd that i have to do this each time.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #9,059 of 9,388
Well... I've sent my broken Zero to wsz0304, I'm waiting for the new one...
frown.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #9,060 of 9,388
i swapped in a LT1364 for the DAC and LT1469s for the amp. it was really simple - though removing the chips is ridiculously hard. i bent a few pins on the original op-amps, but it's not like i'm going to switch back. let's see how the zero sounds now
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back