Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 23, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #8,971 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never done any soldering before, so I doubt that I'd be able to install it myself. How much do you think Lawrence would charge for an alps pot?

I think he gets about $10 for it. This would be a hard project for your first solder job. The hard part is the desoldering on the crappy Zero Board. I don't know any other source for the alps pot that goes on that board. The alps Blue Velvet is too big.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #8,972 of 9,388
Hi there,
More than 2 months ago, my Zero DAC dies.
frown.gif

I have contacted Lawrence, he askmed me to send back the main board (it was under warranty).
It costed me 35 Euros signed from France
mad.gif

Lawrence received it and told me that the DACship was dead.
He had to send it to the factory for repair`.
and since then, he tells me that it should be repeaired soon.
But nothing done, I'm still does not have it back.
mad.gif

Anybody has got a mainboard back repaired from Lawrence ?
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #8,973 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,
More than 2 months ago, my Zero DAC dies.
frown.gif

I have contacted Lawrence, he askmed me to send back the main board (it was under warranty).
It costed me 35 Euros signed from France
mad.gif

Lawrence received it and told me that the DACship was dead.
He had to send it to the factory for repair`.
and since then, he tells me that it should be repeaired soon.
But nothing done, I'm still does not have it back.
mad.gif

Anybody has got a mainboard back repaired from Lawrence ?
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks

Good Luck my friend. We will pray for you...

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #8,974 of 9,388
Sadly, I fear the €35 would likely have been put to better use by saving toward a new DAC...
frown.gif

Lawrence has a reputation for leaving people out to dry. Ah... you're not English, I presume... he has a reputation for ignoring problems and hoping they will go away.

~Phewl.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #8,975 of 9,388
but I think that he read this newsgroup.
After speaking about my different problem here, he tryed to solve it.

yesterday I received this email :

Dear Sir ,

Your parcel is on the way , tracking no XXXXXXX , Hongkong Post 香港郵政 ,air mail( 7-10 days ) . Please let me know when you receive it .

Thank you very much !

Best regards,

Lawrence

so I think to solve the problems it's always beter to write here also.
Now I will have to wait and see.

Just

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #8,976 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Zero has had a small problem ever since I got it about 7 months ago where the right channel is louder than the left at low volumes. I don't usually listen at low enough volumes for this to be problem, but I'm trying to change my habits and start listening quieter. I'd like to lower the gain in the amp section so I can turn the volume up without it being very loud. How would I go about doing that?

actually i also have this small problem, but i am using pc, hence i can adjust the left and right balance to ensure both side are equal loudness.

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #8,977 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I think that he read this newsgroup.
After speaking about my different problem here, he tryed to solve it.

yesterday I received this email :

Dear Sir ,

Your parcel is on the way , tracking no XXXXXXX , Hongkong Post 香港郵政 ,air mail( 7-10 days ) . Please let me know when you receive it .

Thank you very much !

Best regards,

Lawrence

so I think to solve the problems it's always beter to write here also.
Now I will have to wait and see.

Just

I'm glad to see this has worked out for you......now to wait until the package and board arrive.

Peete.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #8,978 of 9,388
I can't believe the Zero has gone down the poop drain. I was always extremely happy with my Zero as it has (and still does) serve me well. I'm in the market for a sub $200 DAC/amp that offers similar value. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've obviously heard of the Compass, but seeing as I'm buying this for my brother, I want to avoid spending $400 and ironically giving him a better headphone amp than the one I own.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #8,979 of 9,388
do any of you know what's the peak voltage swing the ZERO can output?

@ freckling: at this price a joint dac+amp not DIY solution is the xonar ST, but your brother have to have a desktop computer with windows. i'd also like to have more good stand alone options below 200$...

lao

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8,980 of 9,388
The new version might be better but that is still unknown at this point. It's a hit or miss proposition.

Peete.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #8,983 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there even any other choices in the below 150 price range for a DAC/AMP combo like this one?

Or any choices separate under 150-180

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #8,985 of 9,388
Thanks for the great review, I have a pair of AKG K701s and am looking for a amp/dac combo under 300 dollars. This sounds pretty amazing and I will check it out! Im also not that experienced in this subject, so Id like to ask if there is anything (amp/dac combo) better I can get for 300 dollars (U.S) or less. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back