Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 26, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #8,986 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there even any other choices in the below 150 price range for a DAC/AMP combo like this one?

Nope.....the Zero pretty much has this niche of the market all to itself. It's difficult to build a DAC and an amp for 170 or under and have it A) make any money for the manufacturer B) and sound even remotely half decent.

The Audio-gd Compass was supposed to be a direct competitor but it took on a life of it's own and once feature creep and parts spec were tallied it couldn't be done for less than 258US (actual unit cost). That being said the Compass is in another league SQ wise compared the Zero...(even the upgraded Zero)....but the Zero remains a bargain that is hard to beat (when it works).

Saving up the extra money for the Compass (if you can) is a better long term solution but for anyone not able to afford such an undertaking and needs a entry level combo unit, the Zero fills the niche.

Just buy it from a vendor that will support any after delivery problems (such as premature failure, etc).

Peete.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #8,987 of 9,388
Agreed, you simply cannot do better for entry level at this price point. I'm now using it with a new (to me) Zana Deux, so I'm now understanding exactly what it's capable of. It goes perfectly with a low cost tube amp - it has a warmth to it that will complement one nicely.
Mine is the older version with the 627 op-amps.

But yeah, if you're looking for reference clarity and sound stage, save up for something pricier.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #8,988 of 9,388
Hi All,
I have received my repair board from Lawrence (after 2 month).
Hope it is well repaired.
I have a problem remoiunting the board.
There is 3 connectors between the boqrd and the amp.
One with 3 contacts and 2 with 6 contacts. My problem concerns these 2 last ones.
How to make sure I don't invert these 2 connectors ?
Any tips are welcome...
thanks

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #8,989 of 9,388
Hello all. Read through many of the above posts but am still unclear about a few things.

1. Is the new 09 version of this amp/dac still worthy of the original review?

2. Has anyone compared this to the amp/dac usb combo that
HIFIMAN EF2 puts out?

3. How does the new systems preamp ability compare with the original review. I"m in the market for a headphone system that I could possibly later expand on to a home theater or 2 channel listening station

4. Headphone out still sound quality? Compared to the IbassoD10

5. Most importantly: Who is the most trustworthy ebay vendor for this purchase and what specifications should i ask for in terms of opamp etc...

6. Do i need to purchase any extra cables or is the unit all inclusive?

7. I have no experience with opamp rolling. Is it difficult to do?

Thanks

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #8,990 of 9,388
I have Moon hdam on the dac, thinking of getting either a pair of lt1361 or lt1364 on the headamp section, which should i get?

heard lt1361 performs better at the headamp. Also how many hours should i burn in for the headamp?

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #8,991 of 9,388
Hello,
as I said previously I have received a repaired Zero board from Lawrence, and i have a problem for mounting it. Maybe someone can help (No reply from Lawrence).
frown.gif

There is 3 connectors that make connexions between the board and the headphone amp board.

one with 3 pins (no problem with this one) and 2 connectors of 6 pins that look very similar.

I don't want to invert these 6 pins connectors when pluggin them to my headphone amp board.
confused_face(1).gif

Can someone help me to to it without error ? by looking at his DAC ?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #8,993 of 9,388
opa627 in DAC + 2x LT1884CN8 = pure bliss

Open and airy. Highly enjoyable and very smooth. Improved the bass response quite a bit.

BTW i ordered the unit from wsz0304. It's the real deal and he was extremely helpful. Very accommodating. Highly recommended!

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #8,994 of 9,388
I also bought a 09 ZERO from wsz0304. Although the OPA627 chip was found having some problem. He helped me find the problem and quickly send a replacement 627 chip to my Canada address from Hongkong although I bought it in China. Mr.Wang is a truly nice seller. Highly recommended.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #8,995 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new version might be better but that is still unknown at this point. It's a hit or miss proposition.

Peete.

Peete, can I do your Franken mod to the 09 version ZERO? Do you still have the kit? Thanks!

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #8,996 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by damsonlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also bought a 09 ZERO from wsz0304. Although the OPA627 chip was found having some problem. He helped me find the problem and quickly send a replacement 627 chip to my Canada address from Hongkong although I bought it in China. Mr.Wang is a truly nice seller. Highly recommended.

my OPA627's from Mr Wang are fakes......
I think it's "normal" for thos price....
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #8,997 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbretzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my OPA627's from Mr Wang are fakes......
I think it's "normal" for thos price....
wink.gif

Ah? I didn't know the OPA627's are fakes! If I use real ones, do they sound much better? Or, should I get other OPAs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back