Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Apr 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #8,896 of 9,388
Quote:

We heard you the first 2 times!

Humm not really, I remember that I have discussed with you in the past about Lawrence, HDAM etc... but it was more than 6 month ago
smile.gif

Quote:

Do you have a set of PC speakers or another headphone amp?

Try to Run off the DAC output to see if it is the Head amp or the DAC that has the problem.

Yes of course, to be honnest I mostly use the DAC with a Gainclone and a pair of Eltax monitor III.
Output and headphone does not produce sound
confused_face.gif

Quote:

Are you using a Sound Card, make sure it works, your headphone works, etc. Have you done anything to the Zero recently?

I use 2 differents sources, my headphone works, my amp works.

In fact yesterday, I was programming an Iphone application and it was very late, my wife was sleeping so I was listening music with a pair of headphones.
L3000.gif

And suddenly, no sound, I first thought that the problem came from the Mac, this morning same problem, no sound, only the relay "click". Tested also with my DVD player same problem, and I have done then a lot of tests without any success..
confused_face.gif

Quote:

Are you telling us EVERYTHING?

No
frown.gif
..I was so exited (good programming job done) so I was listening some dance music,..do you think that the Zero dac does not support dance music ?
.... Kidding....
atsmile.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #8,897 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Humm not really, I remember that I have discussed with you in the past about Lawrence, HDAM etc... but it was more than 6 month ago
smile.gif

You obviously didn't GET the Joke here, look at your posts above

Quote:

Yes of course, to be honnest I mostly use the DAC with a Gainclone and a pair of Eltax monitor III.
Output and headphone does not produce sound
confused_face.gif

I use 2 differents sources, my headphone works, my amp works.

In fact yesterday, I was programming an Iphone application and it was very late, my wife was sleeping so I was listening music with a pair of headphones.
L3000.gif

And suddenly, no sound, I first thought that the problem came from the Mac, this morning same problem, no sound, only the relay "click". Tested also with my DVD player same problem, and I have done then a lot of tests without any success..
confused_face.gif

No
frown.gif
..I was so exited (good programming job done) so I was listening some dance music,..do you think that the Zero dac does not support dance music ?
.... Kidding....
atsmile.gif

Sounds like you've been hit with the Zero Curse...

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #8,898 of 9,388
Quote:

You obviously didn't GET the Joke here, look at your posts above

Houps... haven't seen it....

Quote:

Yep..At the begining, received it without HDAM and Alps pot and now I'm damned.

I have contacted Lawrence, he has asked me to send him back the board to china.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #8,899 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Houps... haven't seen it....

Yep..At the begining, received it without HDAM and Alps pot and now I'm damned.

I have contacted Lawrence, he has asked me to send him back the board to china.

He's a Prince of a guy!

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #8,900 of 9,388
Suddenly the sound was gone as I heard the relay click off, now It won't click on again - the zero doesn't work.

Any things to test to fix this? tried optical in to no avail, tried turning it on/off and letting it cool etc :|

It's a stock zero with a HDAM earth. It has acted up like this before as well, but now it seems to be final.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #8,901 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by grkn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suddenly the sound was gone as I heard the relay click off, now It won't click on again - the zero doesn't work.

Any things to test to fix this? tried optical in to no avail, tried turning it on/off and letting it cool etc :|

It's a stock zero with a HDAM earth. It has acted up like this before as well, but now it seems to be final.

Look over all the components with a magnifying glass for any burn marks.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #8,902 of 9,388
Quote:

Mine was the same, though it didn't fail whilst I was listening. Used it one day, without issue, and the next it produced nothing. I checked what I could - regulator output voltages, continuity between the DAC IC and the opamp socket, and the opamp socket to the RCA outputs. Never got to the bottom of it...

Sadly, more and more of these Zero DACs are failing after a few months. Good luck getting support from Lawrence, he shafted me when a brand-new purchase was faulty out of the box...

Could be a very good time to upgrade to the Compass?
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #8,903 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The "Zero sound" curse? Ha!

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #8,905 of 9,388
Quote:

Guess I'll look for burn marks, but I bought it from wsz0304 on ebay with a 1year warranty. Guess I should snip back the snips before shipping it back?

That Vendor is top notch.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #8,907 of 9,388
Quote:

Ok, it switched on again, after 24hours any numerous attempts on turning it on.. So how awesome is this "Compass" compared to the HDAMed Zero?

It's good and I don't believe you'll have these types of problems with it. Additionally, there is great support from the manufacturer.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #8,909 of 9,388
Quote:

I can't seem to find any direct comparison on the forum, is this a coincidence or are people boycotting the zero?

Read the Compass thread, there is a blurb there.

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #8,910 of 9,388
The Compass' DAC is very similar, but uses upgraded parts, so it is considerably better if not amazingly so. But the amp in the compass in in a completely different league - much much better than Zero's amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back