Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 19, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #8,476 of 9,388
Not really, get the stock version and do the mods yourself is my advise.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I was you, I'd probably wait for the compass too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's happening guys ?

Peete.

Not much Peete, the usual.
k701smile.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #8,477 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's happening guys ?

Peete.

I've got bird-flu. And I might be buying a DacMagic
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #8,478 of 9,388
Well, for the best sound at good price, Kingwa is coming out with the budget DAC - Compass. I like the components selection : DIR9001, Dale, Alps pot, I2S using PCM2707.etc.

audio-gd DAC Compass

As usual, early birds will get lots of discount or lots of free gift, until the gate close.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #8,480 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, just a quick question. Does anyone know if the Zero DAC would be able to run the Beyerdynamic D770 250ohm? If not, could you recommend any other amp/dac under $200. Thanks in advance

"Run" it, yes. But the ZERO is not a very capable amp, not with your headphones, not with any.

The ZERO is good for it's DAC, really, the amp is very limited.

Look here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/des...d-have-385759/

This new project should give you something better than what the ZERO can offer, it will be a bit more expensive (250 I think) but it will be worth it.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #8,481 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, just a quick question. Does anyone know if the Zero DAC would be able to run the Beyerdynamic D770 250ohm? If not, could you recommend any other amp/dac under $200. Thanks in advance

I've used those Phones on that HeadAmp. They work fine. The HeadAmp works great for what it is. It will sound Much better than out of your Soundcard. You will wish that they put out a little more wattage, but as I stated the Zero DAC/Amp is better than line out on your SC. The Head amp will play clean music loud enough to permanently damage your hearing with those phones. It is NOT a high end separate head Amp though.

As far as any other statements are concerned about the Compass. Nobody has heard it as far as I know. We haven't seen the specs on output. There are no comparisons by owners of different phones to say what it does or does not do. Basically it is a Ghost presently. IT does not exist.

It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It may never exist.

Truth will lie somewhere between those two end points.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #8,483 of 9,388
The Little Dot MKII does not have a DAC, if your looking for a standalone AMP I can suggest you some in that range.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #8,484 of 9,388
Ah okay...I'm new to the audio scene as you can see.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I just wanna be able to enjoy my headphones. What would give me better sound quality, a $200 AMP, or a $200 DAC?

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #8,485 of 9,388
Depends on your current set up, what soundcard are you using, anything good? if it is a decent card then you should probably get a amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #8,488 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used those Phones on that HeadAmp. They work fine. The HeadAmp works great for what it is. It will sound Much better than out of your Soundcard. You will wish that they put out a little more wattage, but as I stated the Zero DAC/Amp is better than line out on your SC. The Head amp will play clean music loud enough to permanently damage your hearing with those phones. It is NOT a high end separate head Amp though.

As far as any other statements are concerned about the Compass. Nobody has heard it as far as I know. We haven't seen the specs on output. There are no comparisons by owners of different phones to say what it does or does not do. Basically it is a Ghost presently. IT does not exist.

It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It may never exist.

Truth will lie somewhere between those two end points.

Edit: Just saw you've found the updates in the Zero alternative thread, but here's the link: DAC Compass

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #8,489 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good, I would recommend you this: Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

Out of stock at the moment but they should be building more.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a proven design (DIY), with many happy owners.

Would you say that amp and a FrankenZero would be the best bang for buck DAC/Amp combo under $500?

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #8,490 of 9,388
Hi I'm thinking about upgrading my opamps in the headphone/pre-amp section to the LT1364s. Do those opamps provide a smoother sound or a less harsh sound? What will I gain or lose with that upgrade in the preamp section?

Also, I'm using opa627s in the DAC section to drive a little dot mk3, I've heard that it's too tubey from other members, but I think it sounds nicely lush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back