Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 27, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #8,086 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the sound of the upgraded Zero better than my Apogee Duet. The duet is not quite as detailed as my Lavry DA-10, and less musical. The upgraded Zero is less detailed as well, but more musical.

When you say upgraded which components are you referring to? I'm just curious because I'm thinking about buying a Zero soon but am not sure what upgraded version to buy. I'm seriously eyeing LC's sale on ebay, though.

Thanks,
-djchaz

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #8,087 of 9,388
IDEA : I have three HDAM units which I use with my Zero in the DAC, Earth, Moon and Sun. I have been switching them about, but as my Zero is hooked into my main rig, I won't leave the top off, so its a drag.

Here's my idea : A three way selector. All the HDAM units are connected, but you switch to the one you want.
Before I go and start to see if I can a) fit all three inside b) find a suitable mechanical device c) solder-up some frankenswitch - is this a stupid idea? or can it be implemented without losing any thing SQ wise? I've already done some art work for a 3-way selector...
I love days off work !

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #8,088 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IDEA : I have three HDAM units which I use with my Zero in the DAC, Earth, Moon and Sun. I have been switching them about, but as my Zero is hooked into my main rig, I won't leave the top off, so its a drag.

Here's my idea : A three way selector. All the HDAM units are connected, but you switch to the one you want.
Before I go and start to see if I can a) fit all three inside b) find a suitable mechanical device c) solder-up some frankenswitch - is this a stupid idea? or can it be implemented without losing any thing SQ wise? I've already done some art work for a 3-way selector...
I love days off work !

i had a similar idea but am unable to implement due to lack of technical skill.

however i was thinking that since you had 2 buttons to select optical or coaxial input, could it be possible to do something so that they share 1 button and toggle instead? with the other button, 2 opamp different op amp could be wired somehow and similarly toggled.

would it even be possible from a technical viewpoint?

Nov 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #8,089 of 9,388
If I wanted to use the Zero as a DAC and pair it with something like the Little Dot MKV, what would you guys recommend I upgrade in the Zero DAC?

Thanks,
-djchaz

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #8,090 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by djchaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I wanted to use the Zero as a DAC and pair it with something like the Little Dot MKV, what would you guys recommend I upgrade in the Zero DAC?

Thanks,
-djchaz

That is the setup I have currently. Very nice and liquid/smooth sounding.

Earth HDAM, LT1364, Alps pot. I posted the link to the pot a few post ago. Audi-gd.com for the Earth HDAM, get the dual Opamp HDAM with 200mm extention wires. Do the upgrade yourself. Buy the cheapest Zero out there. The LT amps are free from Linear Technology. You should read the thread here, I know it's long. Get a buddy to solder in the alps pot.

I had no problems with LC, if you do have problems though, you'll think you caught your leg in a Bear trap. You just gnaw your leg off and limp thru the rest of your life having lost a big chunk of flesh.

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #8,091 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the setup I have currently. Very nice and liquid/smooth sounding.

Earth HDAM, LT1364, Alps pot. I posted the link to the pot a few post ago. Audi-gd.com for the Earth HDAM, get the dual Opamp HDAM with 200mm extention wires. Do the upgrade yourself. Buy the cheapest Zero out there. The LT amps are free from Linear Technology. You should read the thread here, I know it's long. Get a buddy to solder in the alps pot.

I had no problems with LC, if you do have problems though, you'll think you caught your leg in a Bear trap. You just gnaw your leg off and limp thru the rest of your life having lost a big chunk of flesh.

If he's planning to use it as a DAC only then there's no need for him to get the LT opamps for the headphone section or the Alps pot, right? Also YMMV for the LT free samples, mine say shipped as of a month ago and never arrived. :/

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #8,092 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just seems we should reward good vendors and not reward bad ones.

Indeed I've gone one better: Audio-gd is now designing a Zero competitor at my suggestion. The price will probably be similar to a Zero fully modified from Lawrence at $200-250.

Quote:

When you say upgraded which components are you referring to? I'm just curious because I'm thinking about buying a Zero soon but am not sure what upgraded version to buy. I'm seriously eyeing LC's sale on ebay, though.

Thanks,
-djchaz

HDAM in the DAC section. I don't use the pre-amp.

Quote:

Thanks,
-djchaz

If you have the $$ for both, get a DAC-100 and one of the headamps from Audio-gd.com. It'll come to about the same cost and the sound quality will probably be a lot better.

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #8,093 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by syg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he's planning to use it as a DAC only then there's no need for him to get the LT opamps for the headphone section or the Alps pot, right? Also YMMV for the LT free samples, mine say shipped as of a month ago and never arrived. :/

Here's how I roll. I have an external amp also, but like to A-B up against the Zero for the fun of it. So if you don't want to put in OpAmps that would be your prerogative. They're free, who cares. I ordered 5 sets of OpAmps and got them all within about 10 days, and that was about 2 weeks ago. Persistence my friend. The Alps Pot would be nice in the situation where you were A-B ing, os using it as a Pre-Amp to Active speakers.

If he doesn't ever want to A-B or use the Zero Headamp ever, he can D/C it, it gens up a lot of heat.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #8,094 of 9,388
I spent a little on the H/A alps upgrade. Two reasons, things may change and I shift the unit to a new room (work etc) where I don't have a dedicated amp, and then the saving of 25 USD seems a little foolish, or I may sell the item, and then having one 'fully loaded' might sweeten the deal. I do use the H/A section, usually when wanting to listen for a short time (early morning before work) where its not sensible to fire up the tubes, or when I'm listening to radio etc.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #8,095 of 9,388
I might receive my earth hdam later in the mail and plan on installing it right away. Do I need to solder the ground wire or can I leave that alone for the meantime while I don't have my soldering iron?

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #8,096 of 9,388
You can leave it alone and do the soldering later, no problem, it's not required.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #8,097 of 9,388
^nice, I do need to practice soldering first also before I do the hdam to my zero, better be safe than sorry. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #8,100 of 9,388
Finally the problem with Lawrence should be solved (I hope).
I had to pay 25 bucks for the USB->Toslink he has sent me with the Zero DAC, and he will send me the HDAm and the pot.
Waiting for it now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back