Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 25, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #7,501 of 9,388
Ok, solved the offset problem with 2 pots, 2M5ohm, and 2 resitors, 1Mohm, to the + inputs of the output amp. Each adjustable. So now the offset is about 1mv. Now the DAC is completely DC coupled, no caps. in the audio path. The HDAM Earth is seated on sticky tape. The sound is very nice. I am comparing it with my Buffalo/Opus DAC. I don't use a headphone so the difference is very hard to hear. Speakers are not like headphones.
The housing of the Zero is really ugly/tastless. The Zhaolu 2.5 DAC I have is even uglier. I think I will rehouse it. The headphone amp. of the zero is far too hot. I disconnected it.

zeromod2.jpg

zeromod.jpg

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #7,503 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can i have:
Optical out from juli@ to Zero and to the LD and
RCA out from juli@ to Nad at the same time?

You'll have to check the manual for the Juli as to what you can do with it.

Quote:

Final question:
Lets say i buy the HD600s in the future and they are connected to the zero HP out all the time.will i be able to listen to the 271s connected to the LD with just pressing a button?

Have a read of the FAQ in my sig.
smily_headphones1.gif
Normally, only the DAC section is in operation, with output going straight to the rear RCA jacks. If the Preamp button is pressed, the output goes through the amp/pre-amp section as well, controllable with the volume knob. If headphones are plugged in and the Preamp button is pressed, the ZERO becomes a headphone amplifier. With headphones plugged in, no sound comes out of the RCA jacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more noob question:

Is it advisable to turn the Zero off when I'm not using it? Will it overheat if I leave it on overnight to burn-in?

It wont overheat, no. I've left it on for many hours with no problems. I wouldn't put other gear on top of it though so it can have some ventilation as it does get quite warm.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #7,504 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, solved the offset problem with 2 pots, 2M5ohm, and 2 resitors, 1Mohm, to the + inputs of the output amp. Each adjustable. So now the offset is about 1mv. Now the DAC is completely DC coupled, no caps. in the audio path. The HDAM Earth is seated on sticky tape. The sound is very nice. I am comparing it with my Buffalo/Opus DAC. I don't use a headphone so the difference is very hard to hear. Speakers are not like headphones.
The housing of the Zero is really ugly/tastless. The Zhaolu 2.5 DAC I have is even uglier. I think I will rehouse it. The headphone amp. of the zero is far too hot. I disconnected it.

zeromod2.jpg

zeromod.jpg

Does the zero not use a phase locked loop to track this offset? Are you using that resistor network as an offset resistor to generate an offset voltage which is coupled between the inverting input of the op amp and the op amp's output? OR is this an Andrea solution. Prickly Pete, comments?
EDIT: would the HDAM not overheat by being encased in thick tape?

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #7,505 of 9,388
Thanks for the reply, Curra.

Do you think it would be alright if I left my Zero to burn-in overnight? I have 20 min pink noise alternating with 2 min digital silence.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #7,506 of 9,388
Thanx Currawong.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #7,507 of 9,388
There is no PLL for the offset. This is just a pot between +&- 15V going over a 1Mohm resistor to the + inputs , pin 3 and 5, of the output buffer.
And yes, the HDAM gets a bit warm. Will redo it.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #7,508 of 9,388
Hi,

I have soldered version of OPA627AUs free after purchasing HDAM Earth. Is it possible to use these OPA627AUs in Zero head-amp instead of one LT1364? Anyone tried this combination?

Thanks,
Stanley

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #7,509 of 9,388
@Stanley:

You can, but you'd need 4 627s total - 2 each on 2 adapters. I don't remember the details but I'm pretty sure people have tried this and found it less than exciting...

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #7,510 of 9,388
I don't commend through this way to keep the output pot at 0VDC.
Why had DC level in there?
Because AD1852 is a single power supply chip, those output Pin of AD1852 have half power voltage, there are 2.5V.
But all those Pin don't have completely same voltage, maybe +out Pin had 2.53V,and -out Pin had 2.47V. The output analogy circuit is a difference amp, in this DAC is use a OP-IC to do that.
The output level of difference amp =VIn+ - VIn︳, in this case, output level=2.53-2.47=60MV.

Why I don't commend add a 1M ohms and adjust resistor to keep output DC at 0V?
These resistors will change the impedance of Vin+, then let the difference amp been un- balance, the distortion will grow up.
If clear to say this , it need a lot of words , but unhappily, my English is very bad. I hope you can guess and mean what I said.

Most amp had input couple cap or DC serve circuits, so I think, less than 100MV DC at DAC output , most amp will safe to work. You can test the DC level of the amp output pot , if near 0V, it work well.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #7,511 of 9,388
Hmmmm further investigation (explanation ) WRT to dc offset would be warranted and appreciated.

This goes above my head at the moment but I do understand the concepts and why too much offset is a bad thing. It would seem though that the design of the Zero revolves around it pluses and it's minuses as does any design where certain compromises to topology must be compensated for or enhanced.

I have noted no ill effects from the stock arrangement as I believe Kingwa is correct in saying some offset if low enough is harmless and is present in a lot of designs...then again it's equally intriguing to see a learned new member of the Zero club redesign the circuit topology somewhat to arrive at a new configuration
smily_headphones1.gif

This thread is certainly loaded with great information.

I marvel at the comments about a chassis being ugly...at this price point what do you expect ? It's functional and it serves the purpose, that's good enough for me...however if one spends money on a new chassis that's also really cool IMO...so...it's up to the individual once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Either way I'm learning loads from you guys and loving it
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #7,512 of 9,388
I started readin this BIG thread. What headphones does NOT fit this amp?
Can i buy whatever can i want and it will sound great?I Read the first ten pages and from that it seemed to fit most phones. so is there any no no?

EDIT. Or any specs? I mean - 32ohm = 600mW F.eks

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #7,513 of 9,388
Audio-gd, I respect your comments but think about it, 100mv offset x50(=gain power amp)=5 volt offset when volume is at the highest level. This happens when I test the system. The protection shuts off at about 800mv DC on the speaker output, so no solution.
Either way, if you use an offset integrator you connect a high ohmic resistor to the + opamp input also. Also think like this: the impedance at the + input is low=HF filter + impedance from the DAC chip =about 1k....so what does 1M do.....nearly nothing just offset the +input to match the - input. My Opus/Buffalo/Zhaolu/Elektor2000 are all DC coupled also. No problem. They don't need the offset adjuster BTW.
Soundwise= no difference but now I can crank up the volume to max. This is so cool. DC coupling is so accurate!

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #7,515 of 9,388
Can I suggest discussing mods to the zero in the Zero mod thread?

shampoosuicide: Should be no problem burning it in overnight. I gather just leaving it on, regardless if music is playing or not will burn it in. The more fun way, IMO, is to just listen to music through it and enjoy the change in the sound, but each to their own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back