Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 20, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #7,411 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, was it in backwards to start? If so it may already be damaged.

The Opamp wasn't backwards, but I'm certain it wasn't completely seated properly prior my readjustment. Is my best option to order a new opamp then?

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #7,413 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transcendent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Opamp wasn't backwards, but I'm certain it wasn't completely seated properly prior my readjustment. Is my best option to order a new opamp then?

Hiya Trans, if the op-amp is damaged, I would be tempted (highly!) to forget about it and go straight for an OPA Earth HDAM, it doesn't really get any better than that in there. Just order one from audio-gd and you'll have a cracking good DAC! I don't think you will find much argument about that anywhere in this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif
By all means though, find another op-amp, the OPA627AU (they come soldered onto an adapter) or OPA627BP's on a Brown Dog adapter are regarded pretty much as tops in that position and they just plug straight in to the op-amp socket. There's loads of info in this thread about them. The OPA627's are single devices and you will need two of them to replace the dual 2604 that would have come with your DAC.
However, the Earth HDAM will take you right to the top. They are available from here: http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm or you can go straight to Kingwa and order from him, he's the big cheese there.
biggrin.gif

audio-gd@126.com
S-Man

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #7,414 of 9,388
I was busy with the shigaclone cd player and then the usb to spdif converter.

I spend the sunday night trying to upsample, secret rabbit code, pphs.etc. until I gave up. Reason is I used the wrong USB/spdif converter. This converter results in 500ps jitter. omg.

http://www.ha-info.com/spdif102.htm

Now I am back with this potential USB/spdif converter hopefully soon from kingwa. the audiophile grade spdif with 20 ps jitter only.

usbspdif.jpg

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #7,416 of 9,388
Hi, just several words from my burn-in period with HDAMs.

My Earth has 60+ hours, Moon 50+ and Sun v2 only 6+
smily_headphones1.gif

Today I found next good synergy candidate: Zero with Sun v2 in DAC > MAC AgQ IC > LD MKV > AKG K701

I didnt expect the AKG K701 to match with the Sun HDAM, but it is perfect. What impressed me most is the soundstage. I really start to love my AKG more and more. After several years with Senns (580 and 650) I really start to convert to AKG K701. With Earth and Sun v2 in Zero and LD MKV as HA, the AKG sounds so clean with impressive sounstage, dynamics and details never heard with any Sennheiser, very unexpected way from Senn-darkness. The Sun v2 with K701 is a great surprise for me
atsmile.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #7,418 of 9,388
Oct 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #7,420 of 9,388
This will take time, it uses DSP for reprogramming. the difficulty is to achieve breakthrough in USB->spdif conversion. Current technology offers are quite limited.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #7,421 of 9,388
I e-mailed them to ask at HA. But right after I did that I saw that the converter is now available through audiophilechina. 40$, about the same cost as a USB-TOSlink shipped separately. Is there any reason to prefer Coax over TOSlink?

Quote:

This will take time, it uses DSP for reprogramming. the difficulty is to achieve breakthrough in USB->spdif conversion. Current technology offers are quite limited.

Does this mean that it is better to go with optical? Thank you for sharing your findings.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #7,422 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I e-mailed them to ask at HA. But right after I did that I saw that the converter is now available through audiophilechina. 40$, about the same cost as a USB-TOSlink shipped separately. Is there any reason to prefer Coax over TOSlink?

Does this mean that it is better to go with optical? Thank you for sharing your findings.

Its been stated here that Zero owners prefer the sound of COAX to optical.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #7,424 of 9,388
^^^ id say get the stock version and just get one of the hdams from audio-gd if your just using it as a DAC. simple opamp swap and you'll get some sweet sounds for minimal cash

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #7,425 of 9,388
Hi, everyone! I have just ordered an 'upgraded' Zero, my first amp. It's coming with a dual-OPA627 for the DAC, but I have no idea what opamps will drive the preamp/headphone section. Any ideas? The link is:

ZERO 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTOR, HEAD AMP(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 110287182130 end time Nov-15-08 13:00:00 PST)

Also, I'm considering getting an HDAM as well, but can't seem to narrow it down based on research. If I were to choose one of either the Moon or the Earth, which should I order first and why? (I'll be using this with either a DT880 or HD600, or both.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back