Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 11, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #7,186 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dopeboyfresh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

Damn I thought this would be a nice cheap option but there are all these mods and stuff that can and should be done.

bleurgh

dopeboyfresh -

The modding emphasis here is on "can", not "should".

I've used my Zero for 2 months, completely stock, until I rolled some op amps yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it in stock configuration w/o doing any mods.

It just so happens the Zero has a lot of additional potential which can be unlocked, and a group of enthusiastic modders hang in this thread. It's fine right out of the box (depending on how golden your ears are, and how high your expectations and requirements).

If you're looking to go with a cheap turnkey solution then just grab the stock unit and enjoy it if it fits your current needs. If the uprade or mod bug bites you then jump in, if, and when, that happens. Otherwise, just enjoy it, as is, knowing you've got flexibility to upgrade, expand, or mod.

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #7,187 of 9,388
Excellent follow up SC. Your a credit to the board
smily_headphones1.gif

Your absolutely right when you say there is potential to tap.

Peete.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #7,188 of 9,388
I just installed my lt1364s yesterday and they've been burning in for 24hrs. I listened to the results through my speakers and it seems like the bass has been reduced. I have opa627 in the dac section and they've burned in for 100 hrs. I know they are seperate sections but could the increased power draw from the 1364s be affecting the sound of the dad section?

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #7,189 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just installed my lt1364s yesterday and they've been burning in for 24hrs. I listened to the results through my speakers and it seems like the bass has been reduced. I have opa627 in the dac section and they've burned in for 100 hrs. I know they are seperate sections but could the increased power draw from the 1364s be affecting the sound of the dad section?

It shouldn't...maybe the LT's need more time ? 50 hours perhaps ? I forget how long they need...it was quite awhile back when I swapped the 5532's for the 1364's.

Peete.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #7,190 of 9,388
Quote:

I Just swapped the NE5532's out for LT1634's in the HPA just 48 hrs ago myself, but I don't use the pre-amp or line-out (yet). The LT1364's do run quite a bit hotter than the NE5532's indicating they consume more pwr, but I highly doubt they could sag the PS, especially considering they are in a quiescent state when not loaded down driving phones.

If in doubt, pop 'em back out and do a quick A/B, right?

BTW - Are you using the volume control on the Zero to control the line-out levels (pre-amp mode)?

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #7,191 of 9,388
that was my second question but I forgot to include it in the first post. Do I have to have the preamp on to burn in the lt1364s? I'm just using the dac.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #7,192 of 9,388
Quote:

that was my second question but I forgot to include it in the first post. Do I have to have the preamp on to burn in the lt1364s? I'm just using the dac.

Good question....I would think running the preamp would be required. Although I can't be 100% sure of that. Might as well I say.

Peete.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #7,193 of 9,388
Quote:

Can't help you there (yet). But I do know using the HPA will definitely load your LT1364's (Oestensibly assisting any burn-in).

I'm not sure if the vol pot in pre-amp mode adjusts the gain in the DAC or HPA op amps.

You could test this by removing the LT1364's leaving the sockets unpopulated, and seeing if you can adjust the volume in pre-amp mode. If you still can, then obviously the LT1364's are out-of-circuit in pre-amp mode and you'll have to drive some phones to load the LT1364's.

Does this make sense?

Edit: Oops...hope I'm not stepping on your toes, Peete

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #7,195 of 9,388
BTW, guys, I really didn't want to take sides in any (the?) op-amp burn-in debate, BUT:

I swear I heard large changes in my LT1364's. I would never have believed it 'till I heard it myself. It either was burn-in, or psychology. But it occurred, definitely.

Changes occurring at about 1/2 hr or so, then maybe 3 or 4 hours somewhat, and then a real nice SQ at about 12 - 16 hrs.

I'm flabbergast.

This was with my K701's, which really present a difficult load requiring 75-100% of the pot range for loud listening.

Maybe it is psychology. I dunno. But I definitely perceived rather significant changes.
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #7,196 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, guys, I really didn't want to take sides in any (the?) op-amp burn-in debate, BUT:

I swear I heard large changes in my LT1364's. I would never have believed it 'till I heard it myself. It either was burn-in, or psychology. But it occurred, definitely.

Changes occurring at about 1/2 hr or so, then maybe 3 or 4 hours somewhat, and then a real nice SQ at about 12 - 16 hrs.

I'm flabbergast.

This was with my K701's, which really present a difficult load requiring 75-100% of the pot range for loud listening.

Maybe it is psychology. I dunno. But I definitely perceived rather significant changes.
confused_face_2.gif

So, were the changes for the better? Hopefully so!! Congrats!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #7,198 of 9,388
Can you describe the changes in sound quality? Bass treble soundstage vocals etc.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7,199 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by edguetzow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, were the changes for the better? Hopefully so!! Congrats!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yes, absolutely.
k701smile.gif

But initially, there seemed to be somewhat less bass, and the mids and highs seemed thin. There seemed to be a bit more hi freq extension, but it was relatively thin, and the SQ seemed to be lacking in dynamics, and also seemed congested, too. I was underwhelmed somewhat.

The bass came in first, followed by airy, but solid, spacious highs, along with, for lack of better words, "decongestion".

But even just immediately after the swap, before any "burn-in", I could see the old NE5332 seemed dull and compressed compared to the LT1364.

I'll have to consider an A/B with the original chip if I won't get too lazy!

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #7,200 of 9,388
Quote:

But initially, there seemed to be somewhat less bass, and the mids and highs seemed thin. There seemed to be a bit more hi freq extension, but it was relatively thin, and the SQ seemed to be lacking in dynamics, and also seemed congested, too. I was underwhelmed somewhat.

Im listening through speakers and strangely enough that is what I heard. The old NE chip seemed to blur the images. Everything seems a little sharper now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back