Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #7,216 of 9,388
Hi all!

I was just delivered Earth, Moon and Sun v2 HDAMs several hours ago. I have tried to compare Sun and Moon in the DAC section and I must say that I am impressed by the sound of both. The overall improvement over the OPA627AU is really huge. At first listen, all is improved in all frequencies - the texture, space, details, musicality... Now I have some hard work to do in the next several weeks - to listen and compare the HDAMs
smily_headphones1.gif

My first impressions (only after 2 hours on Moon and 2 hours of Sun v2) - Zero with HDAM in DAC > MAC AgQ IC > LD MKV > Sennheiser 600 (with Cardas cable):

1. Both HDAMs are much better than OPA627au.

Comparison: (please take the following information rather as a quick first comparison between Moon and Sun v2 and not as a general characterization of their sound, even if it can say something about this)

2.Moon: very smooth, highly detailed and balanced sound, music (jazz) flows very consistently with no weak point, applaus passages sounds much more real than Sun

3. Sun v2: less smooth, less balanced, more dynamic (I am not sure yet if in all frequencies), more "impact" of percussions, more action, "sharper" sound, but sommetimes maybe too sharp for my ears (i.e. saxophone and persussions), applaus is considerably worse/not so real as with the Moon

From Sun v2 and Moon I personally prefer the Moon much (more), especially because of its superb balanced, non-disturbing, solid smooth, very detailed and dynamic sound at all frequencies at the same time... On the other hand, there is something about the Sun than doesnt fit to my ears (or to my listening chain), maybe the "sharpness", maybe the less balanced sound, I am not sure yet... I must confirm this and more in the long term listening. And something can change over time, of course. Consider, I have only 2 hours listening experience with both HDAMs (same music for comparison).

More testing in progress...
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy my english
smily_headphones1.gif
If something unclear, tell me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #7,217 of 9,388
You're English is good enough to give us a great impression of those 2 HDAMs. Have you tried the Earth yet? My unit arrived 5 minutes ago so Im letting the Zero rest while I make a cradle for it.

Thank you for the first impressions.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #7,218 of 9,388
I am testing the Earth just now (2-3 hours). I must say, that at first listen it is the most neutral HDAM of this trio (in the very positive way - I do not hear any weaknesses so far). In the near future I will focus on Earth vs. Moon comparison, because these are my favourite HDAMs for now - though they sound differently, neither has any weakness to my ears (setup). What is the Sun concerned, there is something that I sense as little, very little obtrusive (but even the Sun is still better than OPA 627). I am not sure what it is, I must sometimes listen several albums that I know exactly note by note... And there is still many I plan to test with these HDAMs - Senn 580/650 (with ordinary cable), AKG K701...

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #7,219 of 9,388
Hmm, was just reading Currawong's introduction to the ZERO and I fear I may have made an impulsive purchase. Here is my setup, maybe you guys can tell me if i should have just gone with an amp.
my primary source is my computer using the crappy onboard Realtek soundcard. From there I go optical cable to my Logitech Z-5500 speakers, and i have my ATH-A900LTD's plugged into the z-5500 control module.
I've been relatively happy with this setup but I do not have anything else to compare it too. Would I have been better off just getting a Little Dot, or other amp? I spent $250 including shipping for my updated zero w/ alps, 1 hdam, and opamp upgreade.

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #7,220 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those kits require a box to put them in, which you'd have to modify, and a power supply. The Zero just requires that you plug it in and turn it on.

The Zero is the same as a headphone amp as it is a pre-amp. The output is just directed depending on whether you've got headphones plugged in or not.

I don't mind making a case. And those transformers included are ready to plug into the wall. How do the DAC performances differ? Are they the same chip? How would the Zero DAC compare to say a $800 DAC?

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #7,221 of 9,388
I just got my Earth about 2 hours ago and I just installed it. Immediate first impressions: everything sounds tighter and clearer. Vocals are better balanced with the rest of the instruments (they sounded like they werent as loud as the instruments or buried behind them). I think this is a combination of the addition of the LT1364 and the Earth. Bass is the best its been so far but it still has some time left to develop.

My few complaints which I hope will get better with burn in is front to back instument seperation, soundstage width, and smoothness. With the tightness in sound came a reduction in soundstage width. Everything is coming from between the speakers. I was listening to the Grateful Deads American Beauty and the guitars are on top of each where they are normally seperated. Vocals are still a little sibilant. Hopefully 3 days from now everything will have settled in.

WARNING: the included extension is too short to ideally place the HDAM. I have it over the vents in a little custom cradle but it barely reaches. Order a 200cm extension for a few extra bucks and save yourself the placement headache.

If anyone in the US has a longer extension or will be ordering from Audio-GD soon, can I piggyback an extension order with you? PM me if you can.

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #7,222 of 9,388
^^

I'm looking forward to hear you impressions as the HDAM matures.

I assume your opinions are based on the HDAM vs the BB OP627?

Anyway, I just received my quote from Audio-gd but haven't fully made up my mind as to whether I want the slight encumberance of mounting the HDAM vs the simplicity and robustivity of a replacement op-amp (BB OPA 627) since I often move my unit around on the spur-of-the moment because I use it with my laptop and my desktop.

If I order the HDAM (likely) I'll be happy to grab a longer cable for you if you'd like (Chicago to Qeens is only one day via USPS Prioty Mail). I'll PM you if I order the HDAM to see if you're still interested.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #7,223 of 9,388
bundee1,

The HDAM takes a while to settle...those limitations in sound stage will disappear.......you'll note a massive improvement in overall SQ nothing short of amazing once the required hours are on the module and Zero.

As I stated on the previous page the BA cap tweak is a great add on to the Earth module. With my latest batch of modules (2 SUN V2 and 2 Moon ) due here tomorrow my first task even before I place them into the Zero or the SuperDAC will be to add that 1uf cap to all the modules.

It really is an inexpensive way to top off the (almost solderless) top level Zero option, and one large notch in overall SQ below the FrankenZERO.

I would say and have said this before (some 300 pages ago) the BA cap tweak is an essential and cheap mod whose only drawback is excessive burn in time. The use of a quality film and foil cap like the cheap and readily available K42Y-2 NOS Russian greenies makes quite a tangible and positive difference to the overall experience.

I'm sure other types like Mundorf, Aerovox, Vitamin Q, Auricap, Hovland etc..would be equally effective but quite a bit more expensive than the Russian cap....that is why I like the K42-Y2..they are cheap, outstanding (SQ regards) caps.

Peete.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #7,224 of 9,388
I thought ordering the 100cm upgraded extension would be long enough but that just puts it right under the vent at a slight tilt. I made a cradle out of a plastic club card some electrical tape and a zip tie. I punched holes out on the sides and cut two strips out on the bottom to help ventilate the HDAM. Right now its next to those black pillar things on the headphone board and the heat from them bent the card cradle a little. Will this harm the HDAM?

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #7,225 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought ordering the 100cm upgraded extension would be long enough but that just puts it right under the vent at a slight tilt. I made a cradle out of a plastic club card some electrical tape and a zip tie. I punched holes out on the sides and cut two strips out on the bottom to help ventilate the HDAM. Right now its next to those black pillar things on the headphone board and the heat from them bent the card cradle a little. Will this harm the HDAM?

Keep it away from the analog board regulators. Heat is the enemy of all electronics. Move it up and left of the dac socket assembly ...it's OK to rest on the components adjacent to that socket since you have insulated the module quite effectively. The one drawback is not having it firmly affixed to a single spot. If the amp isn't moved around a lot then that isn't a concern.

Have you connected the HDAM ground wire to the audio output ground (at the base of the stock RCA jack assembly. It's the center pin ) yet ?

Peete.

PS I recommend you keep it away from the top vent for two reasons, block (or partially block) the convection current air flow and secondly all the heat from the internal components will actually heat the module up rather than cool it down. The first point (blocking air flow) leads to even more heat overall under the chassis lid. Keep that air travel unobstructed from the inlet to the outlet. The HDAM module itself does not generate that much heat itself.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #7,226 of 9,388
Can you circle the spot on one of Sganzerla's pics where you want me to place the HDAM module? Ive looked for different spots but I dont think it reaches.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #7,227 of 9,388
sganzerlazerodachdamnz1ew6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

blue box is where hdam is currently placed.

Where should I move it?

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #7,228 of 9,388
Try this general location bundee1.

Mine is over the spot where all the yellow eros caps are bunched (beside the large clock can). The additional advantage to that spot is the gnd cable is able to reach to the audio ground pin of the RCA jack assembly without having to add an extension to the existing white wire.

Peete.

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #7,229 of 9,388
Ok I kind of did it based on your text and then confirmed it with your pic placement. Thanks its already a lot cooler to the touch.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #7,230 of 9,388
Your welcome bundee1
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back