Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 10, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #7,171 of 9,388
Wow that's a cool evolution for the chassis ........the vent holes have been talked about for ages....you see guys, we talk and grumble about things, the manufacturer listens and does something about it.....
smily_headphones1.gif

That's great !!!

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #7,172 of 9,388
Also mine has ventilation holes on both sides and I used a hot glue with a "spin" to secure the hdam to the base of the chassis with the open side in front of the grill (to have a good air flow) and hot glue as insulator, and it work ok, you can feel the hot air passage, and the zero with 3 hdam don't become really hot...

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #7,173 of 9,388
Has anybody tried one of these HDAMs with the Zero?

AMPLIFICATION MODULES FOR AUDIO PRE & POWER AMPLIFIER! su eBay.it Amplifiers, Home Audio, Electronics

Apparently they are singles (sold in a couple) and cost half the price of those of Audio-GD.

They are supposed to be like the Philips HDAMs, but of course this can't be necessarily true.

As the PCB layout is different, maybe they could be attached at the sides of the Zero's enclosure, although I don't know their size yet.

Tubeshunter is quite reliable as a seller, I bought several items from him.

3768_1.JPG

hdma2.jpg

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #7,174 of 9,388
Cool Pincellone......I'm looking at the caddock stuffed version of this Welborne Labs MiniAMp

For a stand alone DAC I'm working on right now...

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #7,176 of 9,388
Zero MOD thread has been opened in the DIY forum...please post all mods there from now on please......

In an attempt to make things easier for noobs and vet alike, owner participation in populating that thread will make or break that new thread...so have at it guys and girls and keep it on subject
smily_headphones1.gif

The FrankenZERO thread will be posted in that same DIY forum in a few hours after I figure out the best way to present it all.

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #7,177 of 9,388
Oct 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #7,178 of 9,388
Thanks Pincellone !!!!

The FrankenZERO upgrade is also up in the DIY thread. It's dial up friendly with links to the thumbnails.

Enough work for me today.....

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #7,179 of 9,388
Updated my signature to - hopefully - direct others from earlier in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #7,182 of 9,388
Ok.... So there actually really isn't a point for a portable amp (for me anyway) unless you have like some of those high end UE earphones because most of the others you'll probably be using at home.

Thanks LeBuLLeT.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #7,183 of 9,388
dopeboyfresh: Check my signature, I wrote up a guide that should answer most of your questions.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #7,185 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody tried one of these HDAMs with the Zero?

AMPLIFICATION MODULES FOR AUDIO PRE & POWER AMPLIFIER! su eBay.it Amplifiers, Home Audio, Electronics

Apparently they are singles (sold in a couple) and cost half the price of those of Audio-GD.

They are supposed to be like the Philips HDAMs, but of course this can't be necessarily true.

As the PCB layout is different, maybe they could be attached at the sides of the Zero's enclosure, although I don't know their size yet.

Tubeshunter is quite reliable as a seller, I bought several items from him.

3768_1.JPG

hdma2.jpg

Hmm, interesting one, pincelloni, worth a look. One thing though, it might send noobies in audio construction running, 'cos they have to assemble it themselves first. Not that it's a difficult job, just that they can buy one/two fully assembled as OPA Earth for the same price from Kingwa. In saying that, I wonder what the sonic difference might be? Anyone want to give it a shot? I would myself, but will have my hands very full shortly with FrankenZero and KHA II + power supply. S-Man.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back