Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 2, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #7,006 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant understand, if BNC connection is so good and cheap, why is not provided in most of the DAC ?
frown.gif
frown.gif
. This is a joke.

BNC connections are preferred by a number of people including the manufacturer of the Monica DACs - diyparadise - Bad Naughty Connector

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #7,007 of 9,388
Correct me if I'm wrong but your source would have to have a digital BNC out connection as well.. I don't know of any source that has a BNC out..

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #7,008 of 9,388
Hi PP,

I wonder if you can shed somelight regarding the coaxial vs optical. What is your view on the Lampi coaxial.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #7,011 of 9,388
Hi,

I ordered the upgraded version of the Zero from Lawrence ("Head-fi deal") for 140$. But I thought that inside the Zero will be 2 OPA627s on Brown Dog adaptor not just one as I have. Is it allright? Head-fi deal Zero includes only one OPA627 in DAC section?

Thanks,
Stanley

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #7,013 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that the discrete opamps now come from audio-gd already tweaked with the film caps suggested by Burson, do you?

Actually, the audio-gd implementation is better because power supply bypass caps should always go to ground in dual power supplies, rather than from + to -.

Wrong.........different tweak altogether....a clue a you need to meet sometime ...

Peete.

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #7,014 of 9,388
Yes, thanks :) There is another OPA under the adaptor. I thought it will looks like in the picture in the guide by Currawong - 2 bigger opamps on Brown Dog adaptor so that is why I was surprised.

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #7,015 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that the discrete opamps now come from audio-gd already tweaked with the film caps suggested by Burson, do you?

Actually, the audio-gd implementation is better because power supply bypass caps should always go to ground in dual power supplies, rather than from + to -.

You realize that I don't have the "tweaked" revision?

Finally what type of cap (It's sure that is 1 cap for hdam of 1uf and min 50v rating) I must buy to do the burson cap mode (that seems to give a real change)?

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #7,016 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You realize that I don't have the "tweaked" revision?

Finally what type of cap (It's sure that is 1 cap for hdam of 1uf and min 50v rating) I must buy to do the burson cap mode (that seems to give a real change)?

Relax dario, don't let the sockpuppet get under your skin.

The cap value you have suggested is correct (1uf 50V and up).

Peete.

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #7,017 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of high-end gear still uses RCA for digital. Many professional DACs though have BNC.

Hmm, about 17 pages of this thread have disappeared for me...I wonder what happened?

I imagine the mods are doing there job (keeping the thread on subject)...

I have to admit that most of my pics of late did not belong in this thread. I should have started a separate DIY thread for those projects. Sorry about that, to all concerned.

Peete.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #7,018 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuuMuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got one of these Zeroes through a seller on ebay. It sounded terrific -- except for the fact that there's a huge amount of hiss on the left side.

A suggestion within the thread of re-seating the op-amp seems to have done the trick -- had to fiddle with it for a while, but eventually the bad left side did one last buzz that faded away and is now completely clear. Couldn't have figured it out w/o the thread, and I'm extremely thankful for that, but is the opamp placement really THAT picky? Looking at it the amp it seemed like it was seated completely to begin with, and I had to reinsert the thing several times before it was happy with the position.

Yeah it's a head scratcher as to why re seating the chip works. The only thing I can think off is, that during assembly there may be dust or dirt causing poor connections with the socket.

Bent pins making poor contact....slightly off kilter installation seems to affect SQ even though it shouldn't electrically speaking. One way to solve the problem for good is to remove the sockets and solder in the HDAM/Opamp.

I may do this when I'm finished fiddling with different types of HDAMs.

Peete.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #7,019 of 9,388
Oct 2, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #7,020 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi PP,

I wonder if you can shed somelight regarding the coaxial vs optical. What is your view on the Lampi coaxial.

I think Lampy has crappy coax/TOSlink cables......I prefer glass TOSlink over BNC and Coax. Other than that I'm not too worried about it. The differences are so small with todays well made cables ....it's not worth worrying about.

BNC in a pro environment makes sense, you can't afford a connection coming loose....most pro gear has locking connectors where needed, the patch bay is the only place where locking jacks are not favored IIRC.

IMHO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back