Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 30, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #6,946 of 9,388
Wow bummer dude......mistakes happen ? Tell tube buyer what happened...he's a good guy and might send you some replacements, worth a try at least.

Peete.

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #6,947 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow bummer dude......mistakes happen ? Tell tube buyer what happened...he's a good guy and might send you some replacements, worth a try at least.

Peete.

I may try that, good to here he's a standup guy. Or I might just have to bite the bullet and buy some new chips or try out an opa earth instead. Oh well, not the first time I've fried something tinkering with it, still frustrating though.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #6,948 of 9,388
Hi PP,

I wonder have u tried the HDAM in DAC and OPA Earthx2 in the headphone. I think that is a worthwhile try.

1xEarth and 2xSun V2 as well as 3xOPA Moon is another combi too. So many option, really consuming.

Regarding HDAM and OPA, the issue who come first is best left to 'TIME and PRODUCT' to walk the talk. I have been reminded to refrain to bring out this issue. Failing which no more ccschua in this forum.

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #6,949 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi PP,

I wonder have u tried the HDAM in DAC and OPA Earthx2 in the headphone. I think that is a worthwhile try.

1xEarth and 2xSun V2 as well as 3xOPA Moon is another combi too. So many option, really consuming.

Regarding HDAM and OPA, the issue who come first is best left to 'TIME and PRODUCT' to walk the talk. I have been reminded to refrain to bring out this issue. Failing which no more ccschua in this forum.

I'm doing that right now CC with the PS1 reg/transformer mod and the crazy super cap pak'd Earth modules.....heres a pic of the latest rev of FrankenZERO SST. I'm still waiting for my chassis to arrive (it'll be a while before it gets here).

PS1ModandFrankieHAmpMod002.jpg

First generation HDAM in DAC section from LC (bought last Mar with Zero).

Peete.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #6,950 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I finally got my pair of OPA627BPs off of fleabay delivered today, they didn't have the crescent notch like most IC's seem to have, so I oriented the end that had the little shiny circle closer to it towards the crescent notches on the dual 8-dip adapter I got (also from ebay)

I plugged it into my zero with the crescent notches on the adapter sockets facing the same direction as the notch on the zero board and got lots of weird popping and heavily distorted sound. So, somewhat nervously I pulled out the adapter and flipped it 180* so that the notches on the adapter board were in the opposite direction of the notch on the zero's socket. When I turned it back on that way it sounded good and no more weird pops or distortion.

That is where I should have stopped, but no, I didn't. Without really taking any time to think about it or further investigate the issue I thought that the adapter board may have been somehow wired backwards. So in my great lack of wisdom I flipped the opa627s 180* in the adapter sockets and plugged the adapter back in with the crescent notches on the adapter matching the notch on the zero's socket. When I switched the power back on I found that I had just let the magic smoke out of my 15 minute old opa627s. Luckily the Zero was unharmed when I plugged the old 2604 back in.

So after swearing and kicking myself for a while tonight I decided I wanted to share my tale of noobish stupidity and then ask why the adapter seemed to work properly when it was installed the wrong way but not when the notches were lined up. And see if it was my lack of knowledge that led to my fried chips or if it was the adapters that were to blame. For reference, I used these adapters from tube buyer on ebay.

Don't worry we all do that at least one time in life....
I understand you, ppl get too excited over new toys....
Some years ago I burned my car's JBL sound amplifier that I had just bought, because I got so anxious of turning it on, that I forgot to pull the battery power cable out before installing it................ result.... 12+V made contact on a already grounded chassi.... =( never found someone to fix it.... it's still sleeping close to me, side by side with my bed, not working..... even 6 years after the fatidic day...

Diego

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #6,952 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Diego
How are you running 2suns in the amp section of the Zero? I thought it needed more juice to run that way.

I'm yet do draw my conclusions on that.
They do work, what the other guys are claiming is that bass just goes away after burn-in.
They aren't still fully burned.

I'll give them more a week or something to fully mature and then put LT1364 back to take notes of differences.
In fact I already did but still can't say the difference.

Diego

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #6,953 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm doing that right now CC with the PS1 reg/transformer mod and the crazy super cap pak'd Earth modules.....heres a pic of the latest rev of FrankenZERO SST. I'm still waiting for my chassis to arrive (it'll be a while before it gets here).

First generation HDAM in DAC section from LC (bought last Mar with Zero).

Peete.

Hi PP.

Thks for doing the mod and await your review. This FrankenZero will conquer the Zero on earth.

Btw,

special promo for those who order OPA Earth, Sun V2 or Moon in Oct. Special gift will be given. refer this page. I upgraded the RCA female plug using CMC (free gift). When u order moon, remember to get the silver cable and plug free.

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/diy/OPA.htm

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #6,954 of 9,388
ccschua, I soldered the earth wire to the RCA ground - wish I'd done that before now!

I've updated my FAQ with more pictures - close-ups of the opamp socket so people can see how 627s and the HDAM should look when plugged in.

I'm going to pull the trigger soon on Audio-gd's C-2C to see if it can best my MKV, being all discreet yet only costing $36 more. I've also got HD650s and some Quart QP 250s on the way, so things could get very interesting. The ZERO has bested my Apogee Duet and I suspect that with a HDAM and the basic mods, such as the cap snip could threaten anything quite a few hundred dollars more that is opamp-based.

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #6,955 of 9,388
My zero is arrived today, I'm testing it but there is a strange problem with the alps potentiometer, before 13 clock I can hear only left channel, after 13 clock no problems, also the volume I hoped was a bit higher, testing for now...

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #6,956 of 9,388
Hi dario,

What headphones do you have?

Isnt the problem with overall volume in the digital source before the Zero?

I have enough volume with any of my headphones - Senn 580, 650, AKG K701.

And what is the potentiometer concerned, I have the same problem. But I dont need it at all. I have disconnected the H-amp in Zero and now I use only the DAC section for external headp-amp.

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #6,957 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ccschua, I soldered the earth wire to the RCA ground - wish I'd done that before now!

I've updated my FAQ with more pictures - close-ups of the opamp socket so people can see how 627s and the HDAM should look when plugged in.

So u have heard the difference, can u share ur impression about the earth wire connection to the RCA ground.

Different RCA female will give different sound characteristics, inc silver coat cable. U will like this mod, try it yourself.

FreeRCAgirft.jpg

rcagroundrear.jpg

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #6,958 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by seaice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi dario,

What headphones do you have?

Isnt the problem with overall volume in the digital source before the Zero?

I have enough volume with any of my headphones - Senn 580, 650, AKG K701.

And what is the potentiometer concerned, I have the same problem. But I dont need it at all. I have disconnected the H-amp in Zero and now I use only the DAC section for external headp-amp.

I have the Hd650, I'm not saing that is low, it's just more than adquate to have ear damage
normal_smile .gif
, I thinked to some post who say that thay listen the zero at 9-10 o clock, for me it's just quite nothing volume indeed, my max volume is at 17 + o -, and there is no distortion at all...

For the pot problem I would want to resolve it (I also paid 20$ for the alps pot installed...), for some time I must use the zero integrated amp...yes the problem is on low volume but if I can resolve would be better
normal_smile .gif

I tried also the hdam in those few hours, for now I use 1 earth in dac + 2 sun in amp section, my second best choice vould be be sun in dac + 2xlt1364, but I don't know if I will change them, with more hours and possible shift of the hdam and zero..

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #6,959 of 9,388
CC is right...the jack swap is a worthwhile expenditure IMO. The next jack to get swapped on my Frankie is the coax in. get rid of that cheap POS. I'll use the shielded Gotham cable for that. Look up Gotham cable at DIY Hi FI supply if your curious about it's geometry and materials used. It great cable for not much $$$.

CC I'll tie my two HDAMs in the H/Amp to the 1/4 inch jack's ground post. I can't test that out until my chassis arrives though.

I'm going to transfer the H/Amp board and the PS1 unit into that new chassis.

I'm doing all the wiring for the tube amp cap upgrade right now...just taking a break to see what's going on here today
smily_headphones1.gif

Back to work for me ...

Peete.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #6,960 of 9,388
finally volume is ok now, I don't now if is suggestion or few hours operation, but now is really ok...

I tried a dry deoxidation for pot problem but no changes, from 13 o clock is ok, before only left channel I don't know why, but for 20$ it's not so good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back